F3F Personal Best (Pb) Times - Record Yours Here!

simon_t

Floydupton said:

Simon, please can you put me down for a 40.72 at HOH winter league round 2 this year, Race M.

Thanks Paul

No worries - you are in the next update, and verified via the NYMRSC website

Simon

Current Table.

I would still like to convert more of the unverified times to 'verified', and there are still lots of pilots who are not represented in the table.

Simon

Lee Morgan said:

OMG I am at the bottom :( some one needs to get a crappier time on there or I need to get to another F3F event to sort that sh1t out lol Lee

That's easily rectified! - if my eye-watering ( .... :( .... ) 59.92s on 3/12/11 in round 3 of my first ever F3F attempts in the HoH Winter League 2 (with Luna II in the 2M class) actually counted, then the bottom slot would be mine ......... all mine!

Ro.

There are an awful lot of Levisham 22/5/11's on there.

I think I had one decent round that day everything else was around 60sec... It was also one of those days when wind speed measurement was debated, as to where and how we were supposed to measure. It would have been easy to have called the comp off.

I am not suggesting that we should have done - but it sort of highlights just how careful organisers should be to maintain the integrity of our sport.One wrongly set course, one freaky set of conditions, one base judge who thinks he is being kind, all can so easily destroy the world wide competition element that we enjoy by comparing our times. Be harsh, be fair, give or except no quarter, stick hard to the rules.

We have to be our own judges so make sure we continue to do it by the book.

isoaritfirst said:

There are an awful lot of Levisham 22/5/11's on there.

I see what you're saying, but then again look at the recent Typhoon Race in Taiwan (TR2011). Four pilots set sub-30 second times, and the World Record fell more than once, IIRC.

Sometimes the conditions *are* just right on the day, or it might even be that the competition between several pilots all having good days spurs people on to do better than they normally would. I know I fly better with an appreciative audience than I do on my own...

isoaritfirst said:

There are an awful lot of Levisham 22/5/11's on there.I think I had one decent round that day everything else was around 60sec...

One more than I had that day then! Not one sniff of anything other than sub-average air all day. One of those comps that you have to put down to the occasional cruel variability of F3F. I can't really complain as it works the other way too.

Simon

I remember at Levisham that the wind changed direction halfway through the last round and everybody who was left to fly suddenly went faster, as Simon says, there is an element of luck in F3F.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Ref the Levisham comp - yes, it was a good day, but that's how comps go. I remember a winter league comp 3 or so years ago where we flew sub-40's all day for 10 rounds thinking we'd had a good day, and then the welsh league comp fliers had an even better one! Conversely, I'm sure I'm not the only one to have had good air at times and not made the most of it.

There is no certainty in F3F - whether you call it luck or not, you've still got to fly the best you can in whatever air you get! The result will take care of itself. As a competitive bunch I guess we all get frustrated at times though.....

My earlier post wasn't a comment about the frustration of days like the Levisham one, but a comment about how one comp could skew personal best or WR numbers.

Of course it could just be a set of great conditions or a fantastic slope that would make that happen, but it could also be a wrongly set course, above legal conditions, over enthusaitic buzzer men,- faulty equipment, I'm sure there are lots of potential areas that could advantage a comp.

The fact that Levisham featured so high in the PB chart and I know it was close to legal limit wind speed was more the point. I know that given a great hill in speeds that are over legal there will always be a group that will want to carry on, searching for their pb's etc.

We just need to be careful that when comparing numbers organisers do everything they can to ensure that the times are relevant to everyone else from wherever in the world.

One question in relation to F3F times, in what is a hand timed event why do we record time to a hundredth of a second when we know that such accuracy is not possible by humans?

isoaritfirst said:

........... I know it was close to legal limit wind speed was more the point. I know that given a great hill in speeds that are over legal ..........
What is the legal upper limit?

Ro.

Pete Burgess said:

One question in relation to F3F times, in what is a hand timed event why do we record time to a hundredth of a second when we know that such accuracy is not possible by humans?

Actually it is perfectly possible by humans, it must be because they are pressing the buttons..

In reality, F3f is about times not positions.a 1/100 sec difference will make around 0.2 of a point difference, but a 1 sec difference may be around 8 - 10 point difference.

So I wouldn't lose too much sleep over being 1/100 sec down in a round.

isoaritfirst said:

Actually it is perfectly possible by humans, it must be because they are pressing the buttons.. In reality, F3f is about times not positions.a 1/100 sec difference will make around 0.2 of a point difference, but a 1 sec difference may be around 8 - 10 point difference.So I wouldn't lose too much sleep over being 1/100 sec down in a round.

I just thought that timing tp a tenth of a second would be more realistic, that's all and I promise not to loose any sleep :)

If memory serves me right, I once won a summer F3F league based on a few 1/100ths of a point higher than the next man (sorry Kev), ah, those were the days ! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Simon,On your next update please can you put me down for a 36.10, last round of the HOH winter league just gone.

Chuffed, managed 3 times under my previous PB.

Cheers

Paul

Paulupton said:

Hi Simon,On your next update please can you put me down for a 36.10, last round of the HOH winter league just gone.Chuffed, managed 3 times under my previous PB.

Cheers

Paul

Will do Paul. Excellent time - For many years John Bennett held the World Record, flown at Horcum, with a 36.xx I think (I'm sure he will chime in if I have remembered that wrong).

So you should be pretty proud of that! Simon

And chime in I certainly will .....Unfortunately I don't think I ever held the World Record with my 34.24 (or was it 34.42), but held the "fastest UK pilot" record for many years until you (Simon) beat it in 1998 VR Wales.

Having beaten my PB about 3 flights in a row I launched into sink with virtually no climb out, thinking it was going to be a terrible run I entered the course just as a thermal arrived on the course, flew the course very tight, and haven't beaten the time since :confused: ... although came close in VR98 in wales with the famous 34.x flight with a cut and loop recovery. (See Kevs videos)