Diamond Tape

Woodstock

Hi, I recall reading somewhere (can't recall where rollingeyes.gif?) there was some discussion about the demise of Diamond Tape, and the search for alternatives.  I personally can't imagine life as we know it without Diamond Tape sad.gif- has there been any success in finding a successor?

• Administrators

Scotch crystal tape. Its a bit stronger as well.Google it or they have it here

Thanks Austin smile.gif.I'm a bit worried about that "hand tearable" thing... You certainly couldn't hand tear Diamond tape..

• Administrators

Woodstock said:

Thanks Austin .I'm a bit worried about that "hand tearable" thing… You certainly couldn't hand tear Diamond tape..
Trust me, its better than diamond tape.

• 2 weeks later...
Adam Richardson

Orederd 2 rolls of Sellotapes new diamond tape replacment in the week, its 2mm narrower and does break / tear easier but not as easy as expected. Ill still be using it for taping wings etc on the moulded stuff, but im unsure if its up to holding the wings on the erwin at speed!! photo-2018.jpg  It seems really hard to buy a clear tape that isnt "easy tear" now days. even sellotape Origonal is easy tear, !!! so not quite origonalangry.gif  Rant over

I bought a roll of that stuff a few months ago.  I have to admit it's not very nice IMO, it just doesn't behave like Diamond tape at all.  Doesn't stick that well, and doesn't seem to be waterproof either.. I hate it when an excellent product is withdrawn angry.gif..

Luckily i bought 3 rolls of diamond tape from Stan a few weeks ago, so i'l be OK for a while. I've tried numerous other tapes over the yrs but always reckoned Diamond the best.

Phil.Taylor

Adam Richardson said:

Ill still be using it for taping wings etc on the moulded stuff, but im unsure if its up to holding the wings on the erwin at speed!!   Rant over
Adam – FWIW – I tried using it to hold the Fletcher wings on (similar system to Erwin) – tip touch on landing & the tape broke (about 5x layers) – I reckon Diamond would have held it ok. And it leaves a nasty sticky residueWe need a "test pilot" for the "Scotch" crystal clear stuffPhil.

Gonesoaring2003

I've just ordered a couple of rolls of the Scotch Crystal from Amazon - just under £2 a roll, free delivery should be with me by Wednesday. Will let you know what I think.

Adam Richardson

got a 3 pack of the Scotch today for £4.50. Much more like the old Sellotape crystal than it's replacement. It seems the Erwin will fly again!!

• 2 weeks later...
Phil.Taylor

Yep - I've also just bought a 3-pack of Scotch "Crystal" from Rymans the stationery shophere's my "road test":strength = very similar - tested by sticking the end of a roll on the desk, likewise Diamond tape - pull both reels together = both snapped at the same time = both tough stuff!stretch = both have a bit of "give"/stretch - good for coping with compound curves when e.g. taping wings on - Scotch stretches just a bit further before snappingwaterproof = stuck to a plastic ruler & immersed in warm soapy water (the washing up!) - no signs of non-waterproof-nessclarity = not quite as crystal clear as Diamond but very closeadhesion = pretty similar - maybe Diamond just has the edge"hand tear" = both tapes can be torn by hand, if you nick the edge with your fingernail - good for wing taping etc.sticky residue = results later - the taped ruler is now sitting in the sunshine - will find out this eveningverdict so far = yep, good substitute for DiamondPhil.but I'm going to treat my last 2x rolls of Diamond as valuable - especially for tape hinges!and - for taping the "Fletcher" wings on, I've got some 19mm unidirectional glass tape - like cross-weave tape, but without the cross bits! (its actually the recommended tape for the plane)

Gonesoaring2003

Thanks Phil,Unfortunately Amazon haven't delivered yetfrustrated.gifNeed to tape my servo covers back on the Pike before I can fly it againfrustrated.giffrustrated.gif 

Phil.Taylor

LOL – fly it without the covers! (they play a different tune if you leave them off)or use temporary leccy tape, or magic tape, or masking tape, or even sellotape "super clear" !!! wink.gif(my Falcon "covers" are in fact strips of leccy tape at the mo – till I make some proper ones)Phil.

Phil.Taylor

The results of the sticky residue test are now in...3 hours in bright sunlight, on a red moldie wing...and...NO sticky residue !!! clap.gifso this Scotch Crystal tape gets a big thumbs up from me smile.gifPhil.

Gonesoaring2003

Just been to Staples and got a roll of Scotch clear - they only do it in a dispenser for £3.49. Amazon not delivering til 10th August eek.gif nice of them to tell me! Anyway I've got an evening of Pike fettling ahead.Alex 

In order to save tape reserves I'm converting more and more of my planes to securing the wings with MPX Multilocks.