Laminating film to cover Moth wings

volcane

Hi       I was inspired to order a NCFM Moth having seen Andy B ably demoing one whilst over in Kerry. I am aiming to bring it along whilst hillwalking so portability is key. Any and Abbo spoke of using laminating film to cover the wings and give it a tough smooth finish. What thickness film would suit? I am looking for some advice on techniques for applying it or even a link to a video demo.In addition i was wondering if anyone is aware of a compact case for the Hitec Aurora that would facilitate it being carried in a rucksack.                Best regards PJ

125 lam film is a good compromise on strenght and weight .....mines gfot 250 on and really its a pain to apply then

I used laminating film on a 48" Halfpipe but it was a bit thick TBH. I had real trouble getting it to take behind 1 servo on the topside and ended up melting the foam slightly (iron shape indentation) due to losing my rag with it and whacking up the heat crying.gif. I'm not sure which it was but I'd go thinner and maybe 2 layers next time. Impressed with it otherwise tho. Not sure if this would be of any use instead of a hard tx case which are a pain to carry any sort of distance. http://www.westlondonmodels.co.....itter-bag/  It's got a 3 small pockets inside and 2 with zips on the sides externally and a shoulder strap too. Mrs says I look a bit *** with it on tho, sort of an odd shape manbag apparently confused.gif

I use something similar - it's a fishing bag from Aldi. I suspect tho that PJ wants something to stash inside a rucksack, and a hard case may be better there...

Thanks for the suggestions as Chris says i think a hard case would be the best as i have be known to fall over now and then when ascending steeper sections. 

Might not work but a large sandwich box with padding inside could be a cheap option then. Be a fair bit lighter too. Or maybe a power drill case or similar?

• Like 1

cliffhanger

I've got a nice aluminium foam lined case that I used to use for my Tx and a few other things that just slid into my rucksack.You are welcome to have it for the price of the postage.

Patience, my son wink.gif..  The Moth kit is only over the water now, so it's going to be a long time still before he needs to go hiking with it...

Hi Cliffhanger                   Apologies for not replying earlier and i really appreciate the offer. I think ive found something that will fit the bill here. As Chris said ive got confirmation the Ubermoth is on the way. Im somewhat nervous about using the film but Chris assures me its no bother. In any case i my other half is a dab hand at using profilm so hopefully i can persuade her to have a go at the Moth. 

cliffhanger

Oh c'mon, it prolly cost less than 20 quid. I'm sure a man of you financial standing can rustle up the readies for one wink.gif

cliffhanger

Ah, but is that £20 or EUR 2020 quid is 20 quid, not flippin' euros!Although come to think of it there isn't much difference in value sad.gifMind you the way things are going it'll be like the '70's again with Drachma and Pesatoscool.gif