South Wales Slopers

cliffhanger

mid-p-comp-1rs.jpg

mid-p-comp-2rs.jpg

Started this build a week last Thursday, cropped middle phase advanced wings, longer ailerons, narrowed fuse and built up tail parts are a couple of mods I introduced.

Managed a quick maiden this evening and performance was promising. However, this 830g MP could have done with some ballast to cope with the 30-35mph wind :)

I managed to fly today.

XCW had 5mph WNW at Mumbles Head which is useless for the South Gower Slopes but the wind turbine at Swansea docks was spinning indicating more wind from a South Westerly direction. I went out to Hunts on the off chance it would be OK and was greeted with an approx 8-9mph breeze directly on the slope.

This was perfect for the mid phases second outing and she flew really well. I still had to put on a couple of clicks of down so I might pack up the wing TE by 1/16 and take out another couple of grams of lead from the nose as in the dive tests her nose was coming up probably sooner than is required (that is right?)Hope you have a good days flying tomorrow Andrew.

Are you flying anything new to you?

Just arranged with Cliffhanger,(his pc's in for repairs btw) gonna spend the afternoon at Rhossili if anyone fancies joining us.

fwal said:

I still had to put on a couple of clicks of down so I might pack up the wing TE by 1/16 and take out another couple of grams of lead from the nose as in the dive tests her nose was coming up probably sooner than is required (that is right?)Hope you have a good days flying tomorrow Andrew. Are you flying anything new to you?

I wouldn't mess with the decalage until you have her CoG sorted.

A climb in the dive test means that the elevator is slightly "up", which had to be trimmed in in order to keep the heavy nose up in normal level flight. I would take out a bit of lead from the nose, trim it again for dead level normal flight, then give her a dive.

The re-trimming each time you change CoG is vital. All the dive is doing is emphasising to what extent the elevator may be trimmed off of dead straight. If, after everything seems as neutral as possible, the elevator physically looks a bit off centre, then I would consider changing the decalage until she flies neutral with a dead straight elevator...

Just IMO, YMMV etc..

ChrisInTheVale

Week off for me this week - will be trying to get out several days of the week if not every day.Depending on the wind I will probably spend most time up the Bwlch. Looking NW (icecream for me this PM) heading more northerly tomorrow maybe (icecream or VR98)

- with things getting a bit light and wishy washy midweek sadly. Still - worst case scenario I shall take the blaster in my quiver wherever I go in case its too light to practise my F3F stuff or throw the Jart about. Let me know if anyones lucky enough to also be out and about - I'm sure Mark will try and join after work wherever I end up.

Chris.

conwy soarer

Whats up with the weather guys, I have migrated south for the  rest of summer and since being here its either been flat calm or drizzly misty stuff?

cliffhanger

Yeah- been cr@p for flying since last Saturday. No excuses for getting some building/repairs done!Looking better for end of week. Rhossili Friday??

cliffhanger

Great- Clayt says he might make it as well.Hopefully join you in the maiden stakes- Stingray almost good to go, Whoo hoo!!

nucleardwarf

Yahoo!, got me old Acacia II back in the air after her crash and................ she flies beautifully! A little adjustment on the CoG to tame her wanting to climb a bit and all is good.

Great afternoon today with ChrisintheVale at Mickeys, Acacia, Strega, Vector, Balistik and Jart all had a blast and good fun had by all - and all of that sky to ourselves, where was everyone?, a fabulous day, good clean lift and warm sunshine, can't think of anything better really. See you all on a slopes soon!

ChrisInTheVale

Great to see the Acacia back in the air! Flew as good as ever. A good couple of hours with sunny weather and great lift ! (and a bit to much for our paraglider friends ;) ).

I enjoyed flying the Strega a bit closer to the compression zone too - getting the hang of things slowly. We won't mention anything about the new method of landing an F3F on the road ...

- it was a good landing - just a bit scrapey :o Guys, have a great day Friday - Hope you get to maiden the Ascot and Stingray. Hopefully pics /vid too? :)

Have a goodun.