cliffhanger

South Wales Slopers

cliffhanger

Yesterday's wind was too strong to maiden the Stingray (45-50 at Rhossili)Hoping to get some assistance at the weekend.Mark, Chris, Clayt- are you guys flying this w/e maybe Mickeys, wind forecast WSW?

nucleardwarf

As usual Rog, you can count me in - no way am I missing the maiden of that beasty! :D :party:

See you there (what time?) :confused:

Andrewmawr

Get video.That's an order :mad:

Sorry i can't be there boyos.

ChrisInTheVale

looking foward to seeing that Rog, Hopefully some flying time for me this weekend.

40 'somethingth' birthday on the Sat but hopefuly able to fly a bit before I do the jelly and blancmange thing for the parents and sibblings :party:

A heads up about Sunday – I think its the 4th round of the SWSA Ken Phillips F3F summer league this weekend so I'm guessing thats on Mickeys on Sunday.

(edit: actually looks like the ice cream on Sunday)

cliffhanger

Ok- looks like Saturday could be good for Mickeys with a ~16mph S.W. wind forecast.Mark/ Chris mid to late morning?- Before Chris gets back to blow out his "forty something" candles! :D

nucleardwarf

All ok for me Rog, be there around 11:30-12:00 Saturday to chuck off your biggy! :party: Don't know about Chris blowing out all those candles though, the walk up Mickey's leaves him pretty red in the face as it is! :D

cliffhanger

Cheers!- hope the rain stays away, see you Sat. morning.

Alex-Leigh

Well I wandered up to the ridge on a very blowy Wednesday morning. Bit SW so walked past the trig point until I found a slope facing in mostly the right direction. 40mph on the wind-meter. Step back 20 paces behind the ridge, 10mph. Had a think for a bit, scoped out a landing area, dithered, eventually launched which was mildly heroic since the wind was ripping the model from my hand.

Great lift but bumpy which suggests it was still a bit crossed. Cold as well! Managed two 20 min flights before noticing a previous repair to the tail of the Bird was flapping a bit. Didn't really want to have a folded v-tail in flight so called it a day.

Walked with the family to the Worms' point causeway. Looks awesome for flying by the little station-hut there, but I guess no one does due to the number of people?One day good weather and the right winds will align with my visits to the Gower!

conwy soarer

Talking of Worms Head do you reckon it could be/has been DS'd. It would probably take quite cunning planning with tide tables or staying out for one cycle of the tide after informing HMCG of plans in case someone rings 999!

226049_3a3bee01.jpg

I now I am originally from Swansea but have lived in Llandudno for almost 20 years and ly the Great Orme otherwise known as Ormes Head - The word Orme is supposed to have come from the Norse word for Worm or Serpent, the same as Worm's Head. The Norse people that visited both the Gower and the Conwy Coast thought both looked like sea serpent.

sorry for being a bore, you never know it might come in a pub quiz or something.

cliffhanger

Tried my first ds'ing there last year,but the wind was too light.It defo. is ds'able in a NNE wind with a steep front face the one you see from Rhossili and a less steep back.Bit of a clamber to get there and in the summer could be a bit busy with walkers

- ok out of season mid week.The tide allows about six hours stay on the Worm.Pics here show the contour.

whead1.jpg 

whead2.jpg

ChrisInTheVale

Will try very hard to get to Mickeys before 11.00 - always hard when I get to bed Fridays about 3.00.Looks like cloudy skies but wind will be excellent SW / WSW if the early morning low mist will do the honourable thing and clear off. (Sundays F3F Comp cancelled btw - looks like Mickeys West atm and slightly brighter) Charging the SD600 to film some stuff tomorrow :)

cliffhanger

08.30 Sat. morning- drizzling here in Swansea, with light 10mph wind :(

Waddya think about this morning at Mickeys guys?

If you "Bwlch knowledgable" fellas (Mark/Chris) think it';ll be ok, I'll do the drive.I'm going to need 18+mph to maiden the S.Ray.

If you'll be there I'll be there!

ChrisInTheVale

Cloud aplenty but no rain in rhoose - I'm starting the hours journey now.

nucleardwarf

Beautiful start to the day Rog/Chris, will we see the launch of the mighty Stingray today I wonder?

cliffhanger

Beautiful start to the day Rog/Chris, will we see the launch of the mighty Stingray today I wonder?

Well if I bring the wing joiner we'll give it a go!! :)

Reckon I'll be at the icecream van around11.00 nucleardwarf said:

nucleardwarf

Will be there mate. :D

nucleardwarf

Hey Rog,

Great maiden of the Stingray - what a ship! :clap: :clap: :clap: It has such a massive presence in the air and retains its energy incredibly well (bit of fun/poo in the pants moments with the crow though eh?)

Congrats mate, look forward to seeing that model again and again. :cool:

Gromit

Hurry up and tell us all about it Rog .

cliffhanger

Variable lift today at Mickeys on the Bwlch to maiden the standard X-Models Stingray.As can be seen in the video the pumps weren’t big. It’s gonna need a 25+ wind on a good slope to get the best out of this 5.6kg thing, something like the bowl at Fan Gyrich in the Brecon Beacons shown here on Google:

cray.jpg

The energy is such that putting in a tad of down when half way through a roll is not needed.Took a few adjustments to sort out the elevator compensation for a good flat crow flight, but all good in the end.Thanks to Mark and Clive for their assistance. Looking forward to flying it in a good blow

HD click on Vimeo

Woodstock

The energy is also well displayed during the first few loops there: you get the feeling "that's never going to carry over the top there...

:eek:

" and blow me down, but it carries on through as though it had a motor in there... Niiice!