cliffhanger

South Wales Slopers

slopeflyer

Look forward too seeing that on a 40mph day at rhossili. It sure looks like a heavy lump.Maiden flight? Inverted stall turns? My maidens are usually I try to stay airborne and keep it in One piece. Nice flying. You are certainly the 'pro' of the brecons.Jimbo.

Clive Henry Jones

Great day for it - the rain was extremely light and sporadic. :D

Wind smack on and the lift was epic last going off.Phase Six was really pleasing to fly after a false start. I'm glad I brought it along.Mark's Ballistik was better to fly the faster it got - yep, he gave me a turn on the sticks.

And to cap it all, the Stingray maiden. Very happy coming off the slope. Thanks for your company Mark, Steve and Roger.

Clive.

isoaritfirst

Nice Rog,  Nicely done, and such a good flying track - 

slope_dragon_x

cliffhanger said:

Variable lift today at Mickeys on the Bwlch to maiden the standard X-Models Stingray.

As can be seen in the video the pumps weren’t big. It’s gonna need a 25+ wind on a good slope to get the best out of this 5.6kg thing, something like the bowl at Fan Gyrich in the Brecon Beacons

Well done Rog, that's a monkey off your back I would imagine. :clap: I must admit that I never thought Ray would be well suited to the slopes at the Bwlch (exceptions being the Crest in a good blow and Mickeys when thermal lift is working).

Ray really needs a good bit of height under the wings before you can really get the benefit of that wing loading and any sites with a narrow lift band are going to be hard work. I think you will really enjoy her at places with extensive and smooth lift, like Rhossili or places that have good thermal.

I don't envy you having to lug her up to the Brecons though!

cliffhanger

I've sort of overcome the transport situation (Clive your pics didn't show!).

AndyMawr suggested a golf trolly, so I took out the dividing bits from the middle of my oldish golf bag to take the fuselage,opened up the full length pocket to take the wings, used another pocket to take the Tx. It gets strapped to my cheapy £10 foldable golf cart. It's brillant! towed up right the way around Mickeys track, with just a light rucksack as well.

Should get up the track to Fan Gyrich ok (except it's an hours walk!). So I'm waiting for a NNE wind to try. :D Today, I've screwed a piece of 10x5mm batten along the bottom of my Tx, into which screws a small cup hook each end.I then use a suitable length bungee band around my hips and clipped on to the cup hooks.This will keep the Tx rock steady against my lower stomach while I (attempt) to launch the S.Ray on my own.Lighter, cheaper and easier than a Tx tray :)

slope_dragon_x

cliffhanger said:

AndyMawr suggested a golf trolly, so I took out the dividing bits from the middle of my oldish golf bag to take the fuselage,
Definitely one of the best uses for a golf trolley.I tried this method on some of my scale models at Moel Famau.  It worked well, but the wheels on my trolley were quite hard and it was a bit too juddery on the steep rutted path.  I stopped using it eventually to spare shaking the models to pieces.

Andrewmawr

Just watched your maiden vid Rog,well done mate ,looks great.Can't wait to see it in the flesh.Pray for wind.

Those Pg's won't dare launch with that in the air :eek: .

cliffhanger

LOL the wind needed to fly the thing would have grounded the pg's!Just got back from Rhossili- great, wind~20mph WSW nothing else flying except the birds.You out towards the end of the week?

andyharrold

Nicely flown Roger.

nucleardwarf

cliffhanger said:

LOL the wind needed to fly the thing would have grounded the pg's!Just got back from Rhossili- great, wind~20mph WSW nothing else flying except the birds.You out towards the end of the week?

Didn't you get my phone text Rog?,Been up the Bwlch from 11 a.m. today until 5 p.m. – blimey!, the lift was the very best I have experienced, would have had your Stingray rippin' about mate. :D

Couldn't believe the speed my models flew today, certainly the fastest I've ever flown. :eek:

Andrewmawr

cliffhanger said:

Going to try and get out Thursday or Friday if i catch up with the backlog of jobs

cliffhanger

Mark- sorry mate, slipped through the net. Don't think I would have gone anyway- been up twice in last few days and my petrol budget is getting a bit low! :(

And- drop me a line if you're getting out local to S.W Wales.

conwy soarer

Were any of you guys flying between Southgate and Three Cliffs today?

I was flying Hunts Bay and as I was driving back I noticed the glint of a glider doing aeros towards Three Cliffs, I would have parked and come over for a chat but we didn t have any change to pay the car park police at the NT shed.

Had a good few hours over at Hunts Bay excellent lift and quite good weather flew the FF, Weasel and maidened my home brew Gelert 1000, at one point a Herc flew over at low level almost parallel with the slope.

Jon

cliffhanger

conwy soarer said:

Were any of you guys flying between Southgate and Three Cliffs today?

I was flying Hunts Bay and as I was driving back I noticed the glint of a glider doing aeros towards Three Cliffs, I would have parked and come over for a chat but we didn t have any change to pay the car park police at the NT shed.

Had a good few hours over at Hunts Bay excellent lift and quite good weather flew the FF, Weasel and maidened my home brew Gelert 1000, at one point a Herc flew over at low level almost parallel with the slope.Jon

Don't think the glint of a glider was me! - I was cliff soaring just to the West of Paviland cave (between P.Eynon and Rhossili) Wild!

cliffhanger

Who's flying where today chaps??

Forecast is sunny with West to S.W. winds around 15mph- that rules out Rhossili for me, crawling with paraf***ers! Maybe Mickeys?

Andrewmawr

No flying for me,broke my flippin toe last week so i'm hobbling 'round a bit :confused:

ChrisInTheVale

Will be at MIckeys 11.30 if not before i hope

ChrisInTheVale

Doh - Hope ya tootsie gets better soon And.

cliffhanger

Andrewmawr said:

No flying for me,broke my flippin toe last week so i'm hobbling 'round a bit :confused:

You gotta stop that kinky sex And! Painful!- hope it mends ok and you're back flying soonafro.gif Chris et al see you at Mickeys!

nucleardwarf

Hey Andy - sorry to hear about your toe mate, :mad: hope you heal quickly.

Absolutely epic day at Mickeys today with Rog, Chris and Steve, every model was just blasting about once we moved over to the West side of Mickeys, great day, great fun, great company! :D

Can't wait 'till the next one. :clap: