Sign in to follow this  
Martin_N

BMFA F3FLeague 4 South Wales.

Martin_N
Hi All,

Please find details below for Sunday 17th July.
  • Meet at the 'T' junction of the Ice Cream Car Park at 8:45 - 9am. http://mikey.rchomepage.com/bwlch.htm
  • A decission on the slope will be made.
  • Pilots briefing.
  • Start 9:30 - 9:45am
  • Last round in progress will be at 4:30pm unless otherwise advised.

Please see below a list of pilots and frequenicies, it is not the flying order.  If you do not see your name on the list, or the frequencies are incorrect, please notify me asap. 

Mark Abbotts56
Martin Newnham2.4Ghz
Paul Townsend2.4Ghz
Dave Rumble2.4Ghz
Keith Woods2.4Ghz
Ian Mason82
Simon Thornton2.4Ghz
Mick Walsh68
Ronnie Lampe62
Clayton Landells2.4Ghz
John Treble72
Mike Evans80
Rich Bago2.4Ghz
Adam Richardson2.4Ghz
Joel West2.4Ghz
Mark Treble66
Mike Shellim64
Mark Redsell2.4Ghz
Tony Robertson2.4Ghz
Frank Hulton2.4Ghz / 70
Gary Harrison74 / 2.4Ghz
Greg Dakin2.4Ghz
 Thanks Martin

simon_t

Current Met Office Mountain Forecast for Brecon on Sunday: WeatherA cloudy start with outbreaks of light rain. Through the morning this rain will become heavy for a time, particularly over west facing upslopes, before easing during the afternoon. Westerly winds will also increase through the day, with gales possible over the higher peaks.VisibilityGenerally good to start, dropping to moderate or poor during the mid morning. This then improving to good once again during the late afternoon. However, visibility will be very poor in any hill fog.Hill fogPersistent hill fog likely above 500m throughout. There will also be occasional patches down to 300m in western parts throughout and the cloud base may lower to the valley floors in any heavier rain.Maximum winds above 400mWesterly 50mph.Temperature

ValleysPlus 12 Celsius becoming plus 16 Celsius.
800 mPlus 7 Celsius.
Freezing levelAbove the summits.

isoaritfirst

too windy, too wet but on the plus side it will be too foggy to see it. Perhaps we should take a chance on Rhosilli (lower)

Sloper

isoaritfirst said:

too windy, too wet but on the plus side it will be too foggy to see it. Perhaps we should take a chance on Rhosilli (lower)
sounds like a good plan

simon_t

Its about another two hours driving on the round trip for most of us, but if I knew we would get a comp in it would be worth a go.  Need AJ or Skip to let us know whether it is an option, and Martin might need to ensure that all competitors can be contacted to go straight there.  Oh, and it will mean getting up at 02:30 in the morning rather than 03:30 for me if I drive down on the day...

Ian F3F

I've haad to hand my pass in this weekend- regardless of weather. good luck to who ever makes it. Ian

isoaritfirst

From Bridgend or Hirwaun (early in the morning) its about 45 minutes, so onky around 20 -30 minutes longer if you go straight there.

Skip

simon_t said:

Its about another two hours driving on the round trip for most of us, but if I knew we would get a comp in it would be worth a go.  Need AJ or Skip to let us know whether it is an option, and Martin might need to ensure that all competitors can be contacted to go straight there.  Oh, and it will mean getting up at 02:30 in the morning rather than 03:30 for me if I drive down on the day...
Can't see why it couldn't be an option. Pretty sure it is NT land and it is a long enough dune that if there are some people staying in the building, we could just walk further along. Parking would cost about a fiver to park in the field that is set up for parking in the summer. Not sure if the Church is active or would appreciate us all filling their carpark. Little bit of a yomp, but at least it is downhill.

simon_t

Thanks Mike - I'll have a lie in then  

Martin_N

I would have an issue with running a comp there without formal permission from the land owners, in case we dohave an accident.Sorry

Skip

Land owner is National Trust, I thought we had a standing agreement as glider flyers?

Martin_N

This was discussed in length at the NATS on the first day between AJ, Kev and myself and we couldn't come up with a positive answer other than we may get away with it.  On that basis I cant take the risk of running a comp at this location, but if we can get proof, then I think it would be an excellent place to fly and include in the calendar.

Skip
http://www.nationaltrust.org.u.....flying.htm The above link takes you to the NT's position on Model Flying. Not sure how to interpret it, but i do know that it is regularly used by RC gliders, Hang/Paragliders already. The vast majority of flying takes place on the top, with parahang's sometimes choosing to land on the beach. Maybe contacting the BMFA to find out what current agreement is in place that is specific to Rhossili would help?

Skip

I would have also thought that a competition on the top of Rhossili would be a definite 'no-go' due to the concentration of foot traffic and other air users. The bottom (specifically the top of the dunes) seems to get hardly any traffic.

Martin_N

Skip said:

http://www.nationaltrust.org.u.....flying.htm The above link takes you to the NT's position on Model Flying. Not sure how to interpret it, but i do know that it is regularly used by RC gliders, Hang/Paragliders already. The vast majority of flying takes place on the top, with parahang's sometimes choosing to land on the beach. Maybe contacting the BMFA to find out what current agreement is in place that is specific to Rhossili would help?
Thanks Clayts, I'll look into and see what they come back with. Martin

rumbey

Well no comp completed today. Its got to be the most frustrating day I've experienced.On the way the weather looked great, but started to rain as I arrived.It quickly passed and we set up on Ice cream, started to rain again. Got 1 round in and the wind direction shifted so we moved to West of Mickeys. Unfortunately, the gate was locked, by we presume the Loggers, so an hour later AJ managed to get the key and up we drove. As we started to setup the rain came in again and gradually the conditions and frequency of showers increased. There was some carnage. Mike broke a wing tip on the Alliaj on landing, AJ lost signal on his Ascot and broke the fuz (never found the Nose, battery or rx)I had to fly my D60 after yet another Hyperion 095 servo failed on my Needle. We did have a laugh about the conditions, geez were a sad bunch of gits really!! Roll on the next comp laughing.gif

simon_t

rumbey said:

Well no comp completed today. Its got to be the most frustrating day I've experienced.On the way the weather looked great, but started to rain as I arrived.It quickly passed and we set up on Ice cream, started to rain again. Got 1 round in and the wind direction shifted so we moved to West of Mickeys. Unfortunately, the gate was locked, by we presume the Loggers, so an hour later AJ managed to get the key and up we drove. As we started to setup the rain came in again and gradually the conditions and frequency of showers increased. There was some carnage. Mike broke a wing tip on the Alliaj on landing, AJ lost signal on his Ascot and broke the fuz (never found the Nose, battery or rx)I had to fly my D60 after yet another Hyperion 095 servo failed on my Needle. We did have a laugh about the conditions, geez were a sad bunch of gits really!! Roll on the next comp
Tough luck guys, sounds like you nearly made it.  The anguish of the last couple of days finally ending in my decision not to travel continued through today with the conditions and improving forecast. BTW dave - I don't think the D60 is legal for F3F due to the nose radius, and possibly the wing loading - be worth checking for the future. Simon

Martin_N

Sorry to here you didn't get the comp in, I spoke to Clayts during the day and know you all put in 110% to try and make it a success. Martin

isoaritfirst

Frustrating day, often looking like it was going to be good, but never quite making it.  I did manage 3 flights (one because I opted for a reflight) and a little sports flying. Very pleased with the Alliaj - Although the last flight just infront of a squall I was seriously underballasted and having to be very careful not to be blown into the hill. Then on landing, I used the powerful brakes too much and hovered it to a nice touchdown (well almost) just to have it rolled at a foot off the deck. It was all very soft and slow but unfortunately the very soft ground, did I mention it was raining, had caught the wingtip and the model rolled around it.