BMFA F3F League Events Early Weather Call

Martin_N

isoaritfirst

That is half of the problem though Clayton. I know I tried to run the MYnd last year after everyone had run off home due to the torrential rain. But the weather conditions were just to good once everyone had left and I simply could not run fast enough to get to the buzzers. But squeezing a comp in (because of a depleted entry) has the danger of ruining the rest of the years events. In my case I decided that the Sunday in Wales was very unlikely so stayed away, partly because I and others stayed away you managed to get a comp in. As it happens I will also miss Whitesheet this year so thats two I am down, so what to do. At the moment I am undecided whether to go to Wales this weekend - I may stay local as its the scale comp on the Mynd.Had the league still been of interest to me I wouldn't even have considered not going.  Cancelling the league due to a poor forecast doesn't necasserily mean cancelling the comp, if those who are local find the weather is ok then run it, just don't count it as a league event.

isoaritfirst said:

Cancelling the league due to a poor forecast doesn't necasserily mean cancelling the comp, if those who are local find the weather is ok then run it, just don't count it as a league event.
Good point - turn cancelled league events into F3F practice sessions.  Obviously the local organisers are still obliged to turn up if that is the chosen course of action, but I guess the CD can publish if they will be turning up or not.

Ohh Martin,Having been in your shoes and having had one of the most unfavourable years where we lost all but two events I don't envy you this. If there is a way of the local flyers setting some criteria that are transparent to all your idea is great. As Simon has said the distance to comps is a factor and for me as coordinator I felt I had to attend even if I could see that the weather was going to be rubbish. Oh how I enjoyed the drive home in the p*****g rain that cleared up around the flatlands of Oxford!!!!Unfortunately as has been said the local conditions prevailing on the day can surprise everyone - either way. I would suggest that the things that I would have in the criteria are, in order: wind speed forecast to be legal; rain forecast for the area, taking into account any forecast times, frontal patterns and type; humidity forecast; local knowledge.Ultimately I think the decision is with the individual, do they want to travel and risk missing a great day and loose a league score. Being able to publish some information to help people make an informed decision may help..... Or confuse!

Ohh Martin,Having been in your shoes and having had one of the most unfavourable years where we lost all but two events I don't envy you this. If there is a way of the local flyers setting some criteria that are transparent to all your idea is great. As Simon has said the distance to comps is a factor and for me as coordinator I felt I had to attend even if I could see that the weather was going to be rubbish. Oh how I enjoyed the drive home in the p*****g rain that cleared up around the flatlands of Oxford!!!!Unfortunately as has been said the local conditions prevailing on the day can surprise everyone – either way. I would suggest that the things that I would have in the criteria are, in order: wind speed forecast to be legal; rain forecast for the area, taking into account any forecast times, frontal patterns and type; humidity forecast; local knowledge.Ultimately I think the decision is with the individual, do they want to travel and risk missing a great day and loose a league score. Being able to publish some information to help people make an informed decision may help….. Or confuse! Hi Ian,Thanks for the advice, its certainly not something I will do without careful consideration and consultation from the club slopes we currently use or any future locations. I have managed to gain a few points from the thread so far which are helping towards building a platform to base a weather call formula (keep it coming everyone).  Other areas already use a weather call and it has proved effective in the running of the current F3F winter leagues.  I think we have to accept that the weather can do U-turn in a 24hr window, but once the decision is made, it has to be final for the league.Before the weather predictions were being posted online I already had a drop in numbers for the league this weekend, I appreciate that we have had a run of comps together, which is a factor, but I also strongly believe this is to do with cost.  What I want to make sure is, that we are doing everything we can within our powers to have the competition go ahead.Thanks Martin

simon_t said:

Pity poor Gunga! Simon
Pity my poor car, its done 100k in 4 years! Buy hey, I like driving and am happy to travel to compete. I thought I would try and do the BMFA league a couple of years back from up here 255 miles north of Horcum. The first event in Wales didn't run due to hill fog and I thought, I can't do this even though I really really want to. I now limit myself to about 3 Bwlch trips per annum. I like the idea of a Eurotour style league where your 3 best results count towards the league out of 8 or 9. I would also like to host a round up here in Scotland, a number of people have mentioned they would like to come up some time. This would help with the expense of travelling.I know thats not the question but it could be an answer in future?

Pete, there are some ideas floating about regarding "euro" style league. The F3J folks use a league system that has northern, southern and central events. I think they have to fly in at least two central events, ensuring the leagues aren't separated, and folks fly against each other. We need something similar for F3F, and it will help with travelling for many folks (but probably not a great deal for folks a long way from any of the slopes)

• 2 weeks later...

Catching up with the posts it's clear that there are a lot of ideas about and 'if I did it I would' suggestions.  I do remember that a few years ago we voted on going to a regional league structure and this was voted down narrowly. Before we contemplate going to the trouble and expense of a further vote there does still need to be a real clarrification of the details.  As I originally posted if there was to be a weather call off for the summer league (regardless of if this is a good idea) can some one tell me how thhis is to bbe done, on what basis, where it is to be posted and how this ties up with the BMFA requirement for an open and accessible league?  If there is to be a place where a notice will be posted? Going to a 3 from 9 structure will need the BMFA rules re-writing, what is the difference between this and a regional league?  other than there has not been a suggestion for a 'final' as with the winter league.  Withh the number of current race dates- when are these happening? I suppose I am asking for a concrete suggestion and how everything will fit in, rather than a number of 'helpful' suggestions. Ian

Ian does make a good point with regard to the number of races.  Unless the clubs are able to host more races or more venues are found, it is not really a goer. Unless you consider 6 races a year in wales to be a good mix up! Maybe expansion of the league to scotland (per above) etc is the way to go.  I don't think it is a problem to change the rules per se, in terms of publicising it - surely this info would just go out  in the bmfa mag.

Tom,  it's great that subsequent to your roll as league co-ordinator you clearly have a well developed view of where the league should be taken.  I'm sorry but I can't see the structure you are suggesting from your post. Surely notifying people that a race is cancelled due to the weather through a 1/4ly magazine will limit the number of dates to 4 and not be the most up-to-date method.   I am not clear from your post how you are suggesting canvasing a wide body of opinion, offering solutions and choosing them?  Clearly regionalisation was voted down when this process was undertaken prior to your becoming co-ordinator. Ian

I was saying that it is not a problem to promulgate rule changes.  We can all play devil's advocate Ian, but as you well know you will only every be able to canvas a tiny percentage of the bmfa membership unless you are proposing a vote for all 36000 members.  No I can't see how that would happen.  The nub of the problem lies in the difference between theoretical "open" entry to all BMFA members and the reality of the situation which is that the yahoo group is the only medium that is actually used to communicated with members.  You could use the magazie to inform people about the mechanism for cancellation, whatever that may be.  But let's be hoenst, unless you use email to inform people it is never going to happen. If you don't think that acceptable then it's basically not worth pursuing as there is no way a league co-ordinator is going to start ringing 50 people on friday night. Personally I would like to see a system with more events, possibly regional, with more races on saturday (sunday travelling is a PITA on an evening!), and a mechanism for cancellation. 

to date all entrants for the league events are pre-entry, so the coordinators have the communication via email, to inform all effect by cancellation

its my understanding that it is a normal accepted procedure to cancel competitions due to weather prior an event in other BMFA F3X classes, ie. F3B and F3J can anyone confirm this?

• Administrators

t9hobbysport said:

its my understanding that it is a normal accepted procedure to cancel competitions due to weather prior an event in other BMFA F3X classes, ie. F3B and F3J can anyone confirm this?
Indeed. We have had two cancelled F3J events already. One has been re-run (Radioglide) and the other will take place towards the end of the year in Scotland.

Phil.Taylor

Austin said:

t9hobbysport said:

Indeed. We have had two cancelled F3J events already. One has been re-run (Radioglide) and the other will take place towards the end of the year in Scotland.

Hurray – a voice of sanityso – whats the "mechanism" for informing F3B/J entrants of the cancellation?and – can we use a similar mechanism for F3F?(thats mechanism, not conditions for cancellation – which will need to be agreed for F3F – e.g. like "will be lashing down")Phil.

• Administrators

Phil.Taylor said:

Hurray – a voice of sanityso – whats the "mechanism" for informing F3B/J entrants of the cancellation?and – can we use a similar mechanism for F3F?(thats mechanism, not conditions for cancellation – which will need to be agreed for F3F – e.g. like "will be lashing down")Phil.
Its nothing particularly special, just an email to all the pilots and post it on the forum and main websites.