Recommendations for a Newbie

Gonesoaring2003

Gonesoaring2003

HiI fancy having a go at DLG but don't want to spend too much in case I don't get on with it. I think I probably want something with ailerons as I enjoy aeros on the slope.

So looking for advice - have been looking at the likes of Topskys, mini Fireworks or Kong Fu, but all seem a little expensive, have been keeping an eye out for a used model on BMFA and the forums, but I guess people tend to hang on to them during the summer.

Any advice welcomed, including any links to help with launching techniques, setups etc....I presume you setup your Tx to provide the launch elevator on a switch, do you need rudder compensation as well?

Cheers

Alex

Gonesoaring2003

Hi Mark

Thanks, yeah been keeping an eye on there, but most stuff that comes up seems like expensive competition gear. Have you started om the Graffiti yet? Did the spare decals turn up this week? sorry it took a while for me to "stick" them in the post!

Cheers

Alex

• 2 months later...
ChrisInTheVale

Hi Alex,

I have a Blaster 2 myself - and love it. You're right - I cant remember the last time I saw a dlg come up second hand. (I think a spotted one blaster a few months ago that went quite quick). It may be worth Giving Rich a bell at T9 to see if the Super Mini Topsky is back in stock soon (if that seems like it may be your kind of thing to try it out - Small yes - but 99 quid and ailerons )Super Mini Topsky I usually just use three flight modes on mine - Launch - general flying and a Thermal mode. I do use an adjuster on the tx to raise the trailing edge a bit if I want more speed. I've never used rudder compensation - despite the spinning around - the launch itself is straight (well meant to be ;) ) .

I have never done competition though - I suspect more experienced folks will chime in with more detail.

Chris

• 1 month later...
Richard Swindells

Woodstock said:

How does the Valenta Apache rate as a starter DLG? Certainly cheap.
Gonesoaring2003 said:
Thanks, yeah been keeping an eye on there, but most stuff that comes up seems like expensive competition gear.

Most of the regular posters on FlyQuiet are interested in both sport AND competition gliders. You will get a lot of very good advice of experienced pilots who enjoy flying £30 EPP DLG's just as much as the expensive stuff.I've sold 4 very high performance DLG's this year through the site much cheaper than a new entry-level DLG would cost.

For an entry level DLG at under £100 there are two obvious choices... the Decker Spinnin Birdy Series (www.decker-planes.de) and the american designed Gambler AG (http://www.wrightbro.....ambler.htm)The Velenta Apache is not really a DLG, it would explode with a proper DLG launch. It is basicly a mass produced model where they have stuck a DLG style tail surface on for marketing purposes. Stay clear of the Fling DLG too (in case you come across it)

• 9 months later...

Woodstock said: Gonesoaring2003 said:

....Stay clear of the Fling DLG too (in case you come across it)

The Fling isn't a great competitive plane, but it is OK for learning launch technique and suchlike.

I was looking at my old Fling yesterday. You can have it for the price of getting it to you. Some repairs are necessary. I think all the surfaces are sound, but the ailerons need rehanging, and the fin needs gluing back on. There are some pictures of it in better days at http://www.flickr.com//photos/knewt/sets/72157624710700041/show/ . Look at #13,16,17 in the slideshow.

• 9 months later...
Fishovertime

Alex,

I started in DLG buy building my own then moving on to kits ,I am not sure about the UK but there are several affordable kits on the market ,why not post a wanted ad or check on EBAY as deals do come along.

DLG is great fun.

Regards Andrew