Hs 125 Failure

Bobbyr

As the title says ,         Unfortunately i had a Servo fail on the Right wing of my phoone in 50mph + /  200ft up off of the cliffs .it would turn 1 way , but not the other .                             it was a nightmare to get down in a hurry in the Rotor (Which to be honest is a plane Killer off of the Cliff), but i managed to arrive with a bit of a bump , nothing too damaging , crack in the Nose cone and small cracks on the tail end by the stab , all easily fixable , So not a worry there .              But the Servo that failed has gears stripped , So is it worth getting a Gear set and doing it myself , or should i just pay another £22 and buy another servo for it , just seems a waste as the servo is still operational , but slips cogs under load .      Could anyone suggest a good way to have it sorted .             Please  I dont want to waste money on a gear set if its not really as good as new , and i dont want to spend £22 if i can do the job for £5 .     I know im tight , but with my kids and mrs im on a budget blush.gif                      Bob

• Administrators

Sounds like buying a gear set would be a waste of time because its very likely to happen again. I understand money is an issue but is it not worth getting better servos? The next time it could result in a total loss of the model.

Seems a little extreme Austin ,         Ive Used HS125's for quite a while now , (years) . I think i have been extremely happy with the ones i have , this 1 only died i think because of catching the Aileron and trapping it on the Wipper when i got it put together in the Car (Worked fine after setting up and releasing the aileron in pre flight check).          Just Out of interest what slim wing servos do you use mate ?   Im not putting MKS minis into my Typhoon ,i think that is overkill to the extreme, and Hyperons are getting a right slatting .        So honestly what option realistically is there ?           Bob

Phil.Taylor

Yes - worth replacing the gearsbut - make sure the replacement gears have the brass output shaft/gear (ask the seller before buying) - a while ago Hitec replaced the nasty brittle sintered aluminium with brass - but then only had alu ones available as replacementsPhil.

There's always the good 'ol Futaba S3150's, but it's a considerable jump in price, so I would try the gear swap..

I have 2 x 3150's on Flaps Chris ,                                They are good ,                I dont want to have to put another 70 odd quid of servos in though to be honest .     I understand people thinking that Hyperon and MKS servos are better , but i thought the HS125's was a nice reliable servo , more so than the 5125's .       Oh well this Phoon so far has eaten 3 Savox 255's , 1 failed to operate and locked up, 1 totally burnt out and i was lucky to not have a fire , and 1 stripped a gear . i used the burnt out gear set in the stripped gear servo to give me 1 good functioning Savox(over rated in my opinion)  . wouldnt buy anymore.           Now after this, the servo works until a tiny load is applied then slips on the cogs .        Looks to me like another servo , i have investigated the Gear sets and its about £14 inc postage , and only 21 for a whole servo .                             Bob

the.Timinator

Hi Bob I know the 125s and 5125s share the same gearset, and I experienced problems with 5125s. My older 125s were fine though and I am sure the brass gearsets have remedied the problem - avoid the non-brass ones like the plague though. Have you tried swapping the output arm? I had a similar problem with a Hitec servo and replaced the gearset to find the problem had not gone away. Turned out to be wear or possibly a crack in the output arm hub, allowing it to slip in the splines. My joy in discovering this was somewhat tempered by the cost of the gearset......... Tim

Scott Ravenscroft

I would never use that servo again!, you must have thought it ok when you threw the model off, so are you sure the gears didnt strip on the impact of your rushed landing, A stripped gear on one servo , on a 4 servo wing usually doesnt stop it from turning one way, Those servos are known for going to full deflection when they fail, is it really worth risking your model for those price of one servo. Scott

slopetrashuk

Ooo! Ooo! Can I be the first to post in our newly adopted home that I have NEVER had any trouble with the 125's or 5125's that I have had or still have in many of my models over the years. Change the gearset. Buy lots of spares. Thats what I did - just in case. Never stripped one since! Andylaughing.gif

• Administrators

Bobbyr said:

Seems a little extreme Austin ,         Ive Used HS125's for quite a while now , (years) . I think i have been extremely happy with the ones i have , this 1 only died i think because of catching the Aileron and trapping it on the Wipper when i got it put together in the Car (Worked fine after setting up and releasing the aileron in pre flight check).          Just Out of interest what slim wing servos do you use mate ?   Im not putting MKS minis into my Typhoon ,i think that is overkill to the extreme, and Hyperons are getting a right slatting .        So honestly what option realistically is there ?           Bob
I probably would have advised on replacing the gears had you explained the probable reason for the failure in your first post. My reasoning was if it failed once for no apparent reason it could happen again.Try a gear set and see how it goes.I use a couple of different servos including Futaba S3150, Graupner DES448 and Graupner DS3288 but all more expensive than replacing with 125's.

it might be worth getting the humped servo cover if you don't have it. On mine I actually run the 9mm hyperion servo – not had any problems, despite the small size. Anyway if you have the humped cover it opens up your servo options a bit. Depends when you bought it.  sorry to say it but you have already spent more on it than if you had bought s3150s (or similar) in the first place!

Yes Tom , you complete git for pointing that out rolling.gifrolling.gif,                  However ,            I bought 2 HS125's new for £28 ,            I bought 2 Savox servos , £32             I bought 2 3150's for i think they cost £64 .          Savox 1 locked up , not for any reason , just stopped working. That got a replacement , Which is Fine Ish , because i plugged it in on my bench at home after i had used it a bit , and it just as well had caught fire angry.gif, Smoke poured out of it .          Then i chucked a Corona(stock) onto the Rudder and used the Savox on Elevator . Had a bad time at Maiden Castle which stripped the gears from the last Savox , so i used the Gears from the burnt out servo , and got 1 savox running on Elevator , and i swopped out the Corona for Power Hd servo . All has been fine , Now in this thread somewhere it says get the brass gears , cos the other Ally one is basically crap , Thats the problem , Both the original HS125's i bought at a reduced rate , was in fact using them Ally Gears .         So i bought a New HS125 that has Brass gear Head , that was £22 .         So the crux of the story is this,                       No i wouldnt have been able to get 2 more Futaba 3150's for the same money as ive spent . But you are of course correct in the fact that without a shadow of a doubt 3150;s are a much greater servo , with a proven reliability.         Just 1 other thing , the gears on the 3150's are a bit sloppy after 6 months use i must admit ( only a tiny bit ) , where as the Hitec 125's are very possitive still .        Oh well , alls well that ends well .                 And my next Moldy will have 3150's all around i think shh.gif               Bob

It will be interesting to see what the Spektrum A7020 is like. Not heard much about them but looks a nice spec and price on paper, for small models like the Typhoon.

isoaritfirst

If you are having problems with gears slipping, it may be that the casing is damaged.The gearbox layshaft is the usual suspect. If it mounts in a small recess in the top case and the recess becomes stressed it elongates and allows the shaft to move away from the main shaft slightly as soon as the gearbox comes under pressure.225's used to suffer badly with this problem, to the point where the only ones I have left have now had longer shafts installed, (robbed from other servos) The replacement shafts are able to be held more securely by drilling out the top case.

No Mike , Nothing is slipping , but i noticed the flaps have more movement than when i first did the installation , on investigation under the servo covers i can see the servo arm move a little , not much , nothing to make me take them out or not use them , but enough to know it was'nt like that when new.          I would still have them , i like the fact they arent to fast , which on the flaps for me kinda stops the urge to yank on the flaps .   The Spectrum servos you mentioned Tom , they look good , i would be interested to know if they are in fact as good as they look .      Bob