What ya recon?

Adam Richardson

Adam Richardson

Going to attempt a 2.4 install on my Wizard DSX in the next few weeks all being well. how do you think the signal will cope through the nose cone? photo-273.jpg There will be a duel rx in the nose and a satelite out the rear with poss another satelite poking up out the fuse in between the wing roots (depending what results i get with just the one out the rear) Ill be using a spektrum 9000 or 9300.

isoaritfirst

I think if you put one in that nose it will get very Far-away in a day.(In a Far-a- day kind of way.)

isoaritfirst said:

I think if you put one in that nose it will get very Far-away in a day.(In a Far-a- day kind of way.)
You sounded a bit "cagey" about that!

Adam Richardson

Well. Didnt take long to end up like RCMF on here did it. And look who the instigator was. Mike you should know better. So you all think that is a disaster waiting to happen then? Won't the signal just go through the gaps?

Stefan Bertschi

Hi AdamWell I'm not an expert (especially not for Spectrum), but I used in my Freestyler and my Radical (both with Carbon Fuse and Glass Nose-Cone) the following set-up (I'm using Futaba as 2.4 System).One antenna I but alongside the Rudder/Elevator Servos (parallel to the Fuse) and for the other (extended antenna 40cm) I drilled a hole in the fuse just behind the Nose Cone to take it out of the fuse.The antenna in the fuse is under the nose cone, but no Carbon between Antenna and Nose Cone.No problems occurred until now.Stefan P.S. I'm not sure if my explanations are understandable laughing.gif

• Administrators

Adam Richardson said:

Well. Didnt take long to end up like RCMF on here did it. And look who the instigator was. Mike you should know better.So you all think that is a disaster waiting to happen then? Won't the signal just go through the gaps?
The signal will go through the gaps but a lot of it will be shielded and you are very likely to have problems. Carbon does a great job of shielding 2.4 and the only safe way is to put the aerial outside.On a practice session a few weeks ago I rushed to get in the air and forgot to pull the aerials outside, I flew quiet a way off before the model started to do strange things. As I was fairly high I had plenty of room to recover it but you won't get much room on a slope.

isoaritfirst said:

Very clever Mike

Adam Richardson

Thanks Austin,   But look at it another way, if the 2.4 ariel hanging out the rear wont be shielded then the signals that the 2 Rx's in the nose receive are a bonus?   I wont be testing in the air, but ill do lots of ground testing with the data logger to see whats happening, along side a model with the same rx but glass nose for comparison. Mike, the above was only a joke mate, smilys dont work on Iphones,

• Administrators

You should be ok if you have an aerial outside somewhere. I have to admit not being familiar with Spectrum.lots of ground tests should be done with the model at all types of angles.

I wouldn't. Especially if the gaps in the carbon are shorter than the aerial. Microwave ovens have a mesh on the glass so you can see in, but it still blocks the microwaves inside. I think you will need whiskers some how. Super cool photo though!!! Stu

Sorry Adam, can't see your photo, but I agree with Austin you have to get the Whiskers outside of the Carbon, that is how I have installed on full carbon Artist and carbon fuse Xenon. The Artist has a glass fibre nose cone to cover the whiskers, but the Xenon has them fluttering in the wind. This is on the Futaba 2.4 system, no problems yet and as you say full 360 deg ground testing first.  Tom F

isoaritfirst said:

Now that I can see Adam's photo,  I get this joke!  What would we do without Michael Faraday? Tom 

Scott Ravenscroft

Hi mate, that cone is exactly the same layup as my original wiz f3f one and it blocks the signal very well indeed, solution is to get another 2.4 friendly cone there about £20, problem solved