First ever F3F advice

Gonesoaring2003

Gonesoaring2003

HiI've decided its time I found out what this F3F "thing" is all about - I've signed up for the MVSA intro to F3F thats running on Sunday at Butser.Just thought I'd pick your guys brains on any "pearls of wisdom" for someone entering their first flying comp? CheersAlexPS Anyone else going? Although I know most of you will be on a small island in the Bristol channelclap.gif

relax and try not to panic. I remember being very nervous...mine wasn't that long ago. The 30 seconds from launch feels like ages at first so I kept coming on coarse way early where I could have gained more height. Walk from launch to landing areas to scope the footing. Watch others fly all the way to landing. Don't cut and don't flick it (easy to do with the addrenalin flowing...I have dialled my evator rates down now after being advised to and it helps. Although it's best to have some time using the setup prerace). Have fun and use the buzzer time to study the turns of others up close. Stu

tell the organiser it is your first race and ask to be put last in the flying order.Fly the slope before the race to work out the LZ and get some idea of the conditions.Don't crash (fly in your comfort zone - or not too far beyond!).pay attention when buzzing!

Gonesoaring2003

Thanks guys,Do you have to time the 30 seconds yourself or will there be some sort of indication? 

isoaritfirst

Go along with the intention of getting involved, get to know the others by helping lay out the course etc. Spend time trying to understand the scoring, and what makes a good run, ask some one like JP if he is there to tell you.Don't worry about the flying or your finishing position, just learn about the day and enjoy it without putting any pressure on yourself. That will come later.  

you will be told when you are 10 ten seconds, then the CD should count it down from 10. In the 30 seconds you have to leave the course and re-enter the course via base A (base A is which one the CD says it is at the start of the race). once you re-enter the course the 30 seconds stops and your timed run starts.  If you re-enter after 5 seconds or 30 seconds, it doesn't matter in that regard.  However, if you don't re-enter the course after 30 seconds your run-time starts anyway. It's not that hard to get on the course in the 30 seconds so don't worry about it. Obviously there are a lot of strategies around gaining height and/or momentem that the top-jedi-pilots might employ but don't worry too much about it. If you fly at the end of the flying order it will all become clear anyway.

Tom dont forget that once the CD calls you to fly    you have 30 seconds to launch ....you dont launch its DNF.....theres beedn alot more of this rule being applied lately

Good point  (although I would hope a newcomer would be given a little leeway in a comp like that):- Get your model ready to fly the cd usually calls out the next 3 pilots on the list so they know to get ready. No one likes waiting for someone to turn on their plane and reballast it etc.

Gonesoaring2003

Thanks again guys, I think my plan will be to keep it simple on the day – doesn't loook like there'll be enough wind to bother even thinking about ballast, and try and watch and learn off others as much as possible. I'm quite looking forward to it, so hopefully i can relax and enjoy, just hope the forecast of rain changes. Will let you know how I get on. CheersAlex

isoaritfirst

Worrying about ballast and best lines and how to do the launch etc is all a step to far for your first comp, just soak it all up and have fun. Then sit back and start to consider which areas you can start to improve upon in your next comp. Trying to do too much too soon is likely to make you fly poorly.  F3f is a long game. Judging your performance is only worthwhile when you understand what makes a good performance. Position against others is only part of it, and can be highly influenced by lady luck both on your part and your fellow competitors. So the true judge comes from understanding the conditions you had and how you flew them. Work on that, analyse your performance without too much concern for the result. This is the true fun of F3f, because you can continue it back on your home slope every time you go out. The comp then becomes the proving ground for all your theories and experimentation. Results will come along as you cut out the mistakes. 

As a newbie myself this season, having only competed in 4 events, lessons learned; 1. Ask for advice on where to land, there seems to be a lot of rotor at some of these sites that has caught me out a 3 times out of 4.2. Have a spare model and have it set up ready to fly (doesn't have to be an F3F, just a fast sports model) otherwise you'll have nothing to fly after you've broken it trying to land.3. Know who you are flying after so that you know when to get ready.4. Have fun!  Tom F

Phil.Taylor

For the very first F3F flight - just fly it around the course anyway you can!after that...Keep it simple - banked turns - but dont pull too hard, that kills the speedtry to anticipate the turn buzzer - start the turn before the buzzer - nose up a bit & banked over readyafter that...cant help much - I still fly too long smile.gifabove all, stay calm & enjoy it(and I second the bit about taking a spare plane, any plane)Phil.

Gonesoaring2003

Yep, I'm taking my fairly battle scarred Pike Brio Extreme as my main model, but taking the Vector 3 in reserve - not ideal but I do love flying it!

satinet said:

pay attention when buzzing!
So True!!!! On my second event I had someone who I shan't name checking if I knew what to do on base A....I did...but the distraction meant I missed Greg Dakin go off coarse! I realised when I heard swearing rather loudly from the middle. I apologised rather embarassed, Greg was quite gracious about it...I felt like a right plum and for a short while felt like saying something to the person who distracted me...but it was my fault for being distracted and the person meant well.Like others have said don't go into it thinking you are going to win.Also there might be a landing pattern with one or more pilots still in the air landing as you go off coarse.Also, when you are off coarse...stay off coarse and out of the way of the guy behind you. I had one guy almost come back on coarse as I was going off coarse for my run...again in my second comp I mentioned above...quite un nerving at the time for me...being a nervous sort :). I have done 4 comps, one being the welsh open last year. My last was a KPT at the Bwlch this year, and I wasn't nervous at all. I think that is mostly due to doing F3F drill practice at home and jsut getting used to it. Slowly I am getting better, more consistent and beating the odd person too.Stu

Gonesoaring2003

Thanks StuI'd be happy if I'm not nervous on my 4th comp -  my other hobby is trackdays which I've been doing for 15 years now, still get nervous before the start of each one! Alex 

RustyKnee said:

I missed Greg Dakin go off coarse! I realised when I heard swearing rather loudly from the middle. I apologised rather embarassed, Greg was quite gracious about it…I felt like a right plumStu
Hey Stu, I'm really sorry if I caused any offence to you – certainly wasn't the intention! blush.gifCheers Greg   

Sounds like another Clayts to me with a motorsport background :). He's a but if a natural at it. U am sure that back ground will actually help. Hi Greg...u didn't offend me...your reaction was entirely appropriate in my mind at the time. I was surprised how ( apparently) gracious you were afterwards! Was my fault completely!!!Stu

Gonesoaring2003

Well I had a great day after a poor start – i learnt a lesson this morning – don't put your rucksack next to the V tail of your chosen weapon in the boot of the car, first roundabout rucksack slides across boot and a sickening crack sound followscrying.gif.Anyway having found a suitable piece of dowel to insert into the carbon tube which is now in 2 pieces, and some ca all was good.We did 4 rounds in marginal conditions (less than 10kts and at a 30 degree angle to the slope) and flying over 50 ft trees, not ideal and very turbulent. I completed all the rounds and improved my time each round.I now realise that when flying in South winds sun cream is a good idea I currently look like a panda!Really enjoyed my first foray into F3F even if it wasn't exactly ideal conditions. Think I'll try and treat the Pike to some new tail feathers as the other one has already been stuck togehter a couple of times.Looking forward to next time!Thanks to everyone for all the good advice givenAlex

Phil.Taylor

Great to hear you had a good time - which is the important thingShame about the taildid we not say "in F3F - if it can happen, it probably will" ?I now have removable tails on all my planes, and yes, I remove them for transport - others laugh...Phil.

I am paranoid about V-Tail injuries in my car. I had an idea to try and sling the models along the roof lining using the handles....but not sure if its "safe" yet :)