North West Slopers

Rooster-X

Going up Catbell's, Keswick to do some DSing Friday afternoon, anyone care to join me?

If the wind stays bang on West should be some nice gentle conditions with reasonable landings on the ridge, will be taking the trusty Dynamic 60 and maybe Moth 60 if I get it repaired tonight ;)

PM me to exchange No.s to meet up.

Cheers,

Tom F

Bustergrunt

I'm coming to the lakes for a week starting on Saturday, as w ell as doing some (lots according to wife) of walking, I'll be bringing a glider...So where can I fly near to Ambleside?

Sun, blue sky and warm another classic Catbells day out, must be somthing about those West winds, or maybe I just get lucky :cool: however light West South Westerly winds (8mph) meant 'interesting' conditions today, just enough lift to get the D60 flying on the front side but lovely smooth shear on the darkside made for easy DSing, makes a change when its easier to DS than fly frontside. The D60 is the perfect tool for these conditions it just seems to extract the most energy to keep on going round the circuit, most of the time she just howled around at a nice pace, but sometimes the wind would freshen up when it temporarily moved to a Westerly and she hooked up and accelerated very quickly, too quick for me but getting more used to it now :P

Landing's were easy as well in the light conditions, just put the camber flaps on to slow her down and generate extra lift to keep her flying, fly level with the ridge front side, then turn onto the dark side and hit full crow. This was enough to knock her off step and she mushes gently in as full up elevator stops working and she plumps herself down onto the soft grass, no drama :D

Forgot my sun-cream :confused: so had to put on a fleece, zipped up with woolly hat pulled down to keep the sun off, was a bit warm on the dark side so had to keep nipping onto the front side to cool down. The swarms of horse flies and midges hovering around the bracken in the still air of the dark-side meant the D60 is now splattered in bugs, first time I've had to clean off a glider that has been cruising at 70mph through bugs, normally its the front of the car ;)

Great day out!

Cheers,

Tom

Sounds like a great day Tom.  Hopefully I will be able to join you next time. Have you started looking at the pocket radars yet?

Can't decide, will have to meet up with Will and Graham on Rushup Edge sometime to see what they think of the Stalker and the Pocket Radar. Would prefer something on-board, but the Pocket Radar might be the most economic solution :)

Tom

Tow Scar could be on tomorrow if you fancy it?  Think I will head up late morning if its not wet. Its done nothing but rain here all day today.  Just got back from a run up Barkin, absolutely saturated but good fun!

Sure, but looks like the Wind is from the West so I guess that means Barbon, Catbells is on again as well but its a long way to go to get wet :confused:

I wonder if Weatherfell would work in a westerly, would be good for dodging the rain sat in the car as it is park and fly :D

What time late morning?

Tom

Clagged over at the moment so prob going to get a ride in first, should tell me which way the wind is actually coming from.... Looks like weatherfell will be on for next couple of evenings so I think I will be abusing some flexi time. :D

Need to sort myself out with a new DS model before heading up to catbells. :(

Floydupton said:

Clagged over at the moment so prob going to get a ride in first, should tell me which way the wind is actually coming from.... Looks like weatherfell will be on for next couple of evenings so I think I will be abusing some flexi time. :D

Need to sort myself out with a new DS model before heading up to catbells. :(

Opus, Dynamic, Kinetic, Pace?

Will go and put the Artist, D60 and Vector 3 on charge :cool:

Tom

Rooster-X said:

Opus, Dynamic, Kinetic, Pace?
 Not made my mind up yet, any of the above would be ideal, guess it will come down to which is available when I have the funds….

Adam Richardson

Floydupton said:

Clagged over at the moment so prob going to get a ride in first, should tell me which way the wind is actually coming from.... Looks like weatherfell will be on for next couple of evenings so I think I will be abusing some flexi time. :D Need to sort myself out with a new DS model before heading up to catbells. :confused:
Might have a D80 complete ready to fly, Or an untouched Kinetic 100 for sale if your interested :eek:

Didn't manage to get out of work early but it didn't matter as I arrived at Hawes just as the sun came out. :cool:

Nearly started in disaster.... Launched the compact into a good 40mph+ wind and it shot vertical, went straight into a roll but not much roll authority, assumed it was on low rates but no, rate switch in normal position. Did a low pass and the left aileron was fluttering badly :censored: . Gained as much height as possible and walked as far back over the hill as possible to get it down without crow, luckily the hill has no turbulence at all and no brown pants moments. On inspection the servo had come loose from the tape I had wrapped it in. Think I will be removing the tape and gluing straight to the wing before I go out again.

Was a bit nervous about launching the Voltij into the strong winds but I shouldn't have been as it loved it, prob the best session I have had with the Voltij. Think I have myself a new favourite slope!

Viki saw someone flying up the helm tonight so might be worth a look sometime, especially if it is a ridge.

Glad the Compact survived, if you don't want to glue the servo's in permanently you can always heat shrink wrap them first. Wish I had come, but was a little dis-heartened after Sunday, but hey ho the joys of slope soaring :D

Going to bring the same three gliders again to work tomorrow, but haven't decided where to fly yet, no flexi time early finish unless I can get out of a meeting, but Catbells or Farleton Knott might be good, although I'm guessing you don't want to spend your entire last week of freedom on gliding ;)

Anyway, had to get a plus account at Vimeo so that I could load up the next video from Sunday, just waiting for it to upload

Tom

Going to try a new slope called The Helm this afternoon it is very close to Oxenholme and Kendal, may have some DS potential but its not very high and it has trees, so may be rubbish.

Its only 10 mins away from Farleton Knott if it proves to be rubbish.Alas the blue skies are disappearing and there are clouds in the Horizon to the West, still should be some Thermals about and I've managed to get out of a meeting so hopefully leave work in 50 mins :clap:

Tom