Rooster-X

North West Slopers

Rooster-X

Managed DS on The Helm :clap:

Its not easy, the slope is quite small and the shear is quite bumpy, have to do a very steep entry and exit angle still it works! The front-side isn't very good and I have to enter the dark side on mid rates and then switch to DS rates as the speed builds up. Still its very easy to reach, 10 min gentle walk to the top from the car :)

Only stayed for an hour as I've got glider flu again, the sacrifices one makes for one's hobby

Tom

Paulupton

Excellent, DS site within 20 min drive... Did you fly the Artist on the front side?

Rooster-X

Nope, the better front-side part of the ridge (no good for DS) the landing site is on the other side of a wall and would be tricky on your own. Better to wait until there are two of us to pass TX across the wall while one climbs over. The other option would be to walk back to the car and land in a field, easy to fly back to the car, will be good F3F practise for marginal conditions.

The DS site part of the ridge (at the earth fort) landing is a lot easier on the backside as you can launch from the backside over the wall. Tom

Rooster-X

Went up Farleton Knott with Paul on Sunday, bravely chucked the Vega off into light winds, she was flying well and had gained a 100ft of height, but then the lift failed. Was going to land on the North side of the slope, but Paul wisely advised to stay on the West side of the slope. 10 mins of scratching and I had managed to get her back up to the top of the slope using some weak slermals, but then the lift died altogether and I found myself in that strange situation of having your glider 200ft below you trying to work out how close it is to the ground. Anyway to cut a long story short managed to find a nice empty field, put the air brakes on and let go of the sticks and left her in the hands of the gods. She stopped very rapidly in the grassy field about 1/2 a mile away, where we just left her for the next couple of hours as predictably the wind returned and we flew our over planes. Anyway when it was time to go home, we drove up the road to the field where she lay, the white T-tail made her easy to spot and she was recovered in perfect working order. She lives to fight another day and no burial at sea required, eh Mark ;)

You get some nice photos when your glider is below you;

Tom

https://picasaweb.go...126042127582658

Paulupton

Glad some of the photos came out well, some great views from the top of Farleton.... :)

Went up Tow Scar tonight but the clag didnt lift, hopefully tomorrow night :confused:

How did the vid turn out? I was struggling with the focus when the Vega disappeared down the slope.

Rooster-X

Its a work in progress, lots of autofocus problems, need to play with those video settings but should be able to put something together :)

The photos needed a bit of retouching as all the colours were blown out, but Picasa fixed them up a treat!

Tom

• Like 1

Paulupton

Thursday aft looking good for new DS site :party:

Rooster-X

Cool, D60 on standby!

isoaritfirst

some very nice shots there Tom. 

Paulupton

Any closer to a trip up north Mike?

isoaritfirst

I don't think I will get chance until Nov.  But will look at trying to get a few days holiday up your way next year if not before. I need to talk to you about slopes and directions to see if a day trip is feasible.

Peter G

I see the M6 in your pictures and have often thought, I bet that flies OK.Good to see that it does, sometimes.

Gonesoaring2003

Bustergrunt said:

Where is 'The Helm'?

It's on the Bridge, where Captain James T Kirk sits. :D Sorry couldn't resist!

Rooster-X

isoaritfirst said:

some very nice shots there Tom.

Cheers Mike, Paul did all the hard work with the camera, I was just fooling around trying to keep it in the air. Maybe a video as well, when its finished uploading

Tom :)

Gromit

Some really good pics & enjoyed the vid. Nice land out too :clap: .

Stuart.

cliffhanger

Gromit said:

Some really good pics & enjoyed the vid. Nice land out too :clap: . Stuart.

+1 to that!

Pity the sun wasn't out, would have made it a whole lot easier to land.

Rooster-X

Yeah I think I was very lucky, watching the video shows I turned a bit too hard once she was close to the ground and was risking it a bit crossing the wall. I think I should have just kept circling the field, but the airbrakes helped a lot, once I had cleared the hedge I just put them on and let go of the sticks and she auto landed. The field was quite soft and had about a foot of grass which made for a soft landing. Predictably 5 minutes later the wind came back, but she was too far away and the slope too steep to go and fetch her, when I bring the Vega I walk up a different way because she is so big and heavy.

Tom

Gromit

Rooster-X said:

Yeah I think I was very lucky, watching the video shows I turned a bit too hard once she was close to the ground and was risking it a bit crossing the wall. Tom :)

I did wonder at one point if the wall was going to 'leap up' & pull you into it :D