Sign in to follow this  
Rooster-X

North West Slopers

Gromit

Great Pic Mark B)

Stu.

Paulupton

3rd flying session in a week this morning - another stunning day in south lakeland..... 

Not a big fan of Christmas but can't beat a week off work.

post-1786-0-35781400-1388317972_thumb.jp

post-1786-0-79609200-1388318018_thumb.jp

post-1786-0-71404000-1388318041_thumb.jp

Sloper

jelous

Frosty

Where are you in pic looks like Morecombe bay .

Paulupton

Close, across the bay at Humphrey's Head

Paulupton

Its a long way off but the SE forecast on Sun could be a chance to get back up the big hills

Paulupton

I have been putting in a bit of effort to find some new slopes recently. Didn't think it would result in me getting up early on a sat morning to rush over to barrow in Furness though!

well worth it , great smallish coastal site (15m) with 25mph blowing straight at it. Flying more technical than the big sites im used to so it took me a while to get to full ballast, solo launching also harder as its not long before you are through the good air on the edge. I don't think I've managed 3 hours solid flying on my own in the last year but the constant air meant that I could make small incremental changes to the lines I was flying and easily see the results.

We could do with some slopes like this to race on....

post-1786-0-36489000-1393075377_thumb.jp

post-1786-0-52514400-1393076355_thumb.jp

post-1786-0-36026000-1393076436_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Martin_N

Looks like a nice site Paul, no room for errors on the lower slopes. Looking at the pictures I have one I fly as regularly as possible which is half the height of the one you are flying. Solo launch does make sure you a quick with the controls and you need to stay close for lift.

The consistency of the air makes it far better for setups and better for competitions because its far more about the pilots skills.

Martin

Paulupton

Hi Martin, I've been pleasantly surprised by the speed attainable on this slope, especially when you fly the edge very tightly in the center, needless to say I will be honing my skills to fly on some lower slopes - as soon as I find them.....

Martin_N

Just try to imagine Paul flying a site where it is only 5m high, wind speed is 25m/s and the lift band is the span of the model, miss it and you watch your model float out to sea :). You will gain massively out of the flying a site like the one you have, fly it as much as you can.

• Like 1

simon_t

Walney Island? The buildings in the background look familiar, in fact I am due to be up there in March. Unfortunately it is midweek so I won't get a chance to hang around and either fly or ride the MTB

Simon

Paulupton

Next to the gas terminals at rampside, not explored walney yet, on the cards to have a look soon. Shame to come all the way up to the lakes and not have done personal time.

simon_t

Paulupton

Yes, the sand coloured area of the slope just south of the circle, landing is easy in the field next to the terminal. park near the pub in rampside and 3/4 mile walk down the footpath that runs next to the caravan park.

Paulupton

Can't believe my luck..... 

We are off to Berwick Upon Tweed for week on Sat and I was worried that I couldn't find any W facing hills on the map - unbelievably the long range forecast is saying a week of easterlies.  Looks like our lass will have to cut down on her baggage as I will now be taking all 3 F3F models....

Anybody flown up there?

John T

Paul,

Video at Titlington Pike

RGPuk

........ We did holiday around Bamburgh/Seahouses yet it is mostly large sand dunes around there.

We're regulars at Beadnell. The dunes there are terrific flying when the blow is onshore into the bay.

Although landing does need planning and an appropriate degree of accuracy.

Ro.

Bartplus4

Can anyone recommend any slopes in the Westerly Dales that are suitable for larger scale models? I  don't mind a walk to from the car but do not want to be carrying a large model up a extreemly steep and strenuous slope for longer than necessary. The landing area must also have good landing area.

Streetmap links would be very helpfull.

I may be asking the impossible!

Rennell

Fabulous videos, but weather looks terrible.

AnthonyB

The last post here was a year ago.

I live in the North West ....... 5mins from Pendle hill and never see anyone there.

I also fly flat field gliders and e-gliders and have never come across anything near since the last century.

There are no comps round here or even "test flying days." ............. Nothing.

"Don't moan about it do it" ............... "Soaring North West."  on Facebook

I hope I am doing nothing wrong posting here. Just trying to get a fantastic sport moving.