Rooster-X

North West Slopers

Gonesoaring2003

Nice one Tom, patience is definitely a virtue in scenarios like that!Ventus looks nice as well!

Rooster-X

Nice strong Westerlies and hopefully no rain, time to try the new DS slope and hopefully increase my PB :D

Rooster-X

WOW!!!  Plus Side – DS Nirvana, 40mph winds, no walkers, easy landing area, big steep darkside, I can see the hill from my office window, good bye Catbells, hello Little Ing Downside – 45 min walk to the top, clags over a lot, not a ridge so not much front side lift and a 200 yard walk to the darkside, now't really  Tom 

Edited by Rooster-X

Paulupton

Short and sweet Tom, :eek:

I'm Was an excellent evening, looking forward to smashing 200 soon. :)

slopeflyer

Tom, just watched your last vega video with land out. Great job. She flies sweetly. It makes me think I need my airbrakes working on the tex. Does the vegaHave crow? Jim.

Rooster-X

No crow, just airbrakes, they work opposite to crow as the model doesn't slow down and they don't create lift, you have to remember to switch them off to get some lift to flare for landing, (I always forget) but she won't land without them ;)

Tom

Rooster-X

N'joy, more for the DS fetish inclined, I can understand why going around in circles can look boring to the spectator, but when your actually doing it, its hard to describe the emotions going through your mind. I was shaking on my first run, on my second run I managed to lock into the groove for some smooth easy laps and a whole feeling of peace and tranquillity came over me. Hard to explain that one to anyone unless you've had a go ;)

Slosloper

Nice find, Tom.Could this be a record-buster in v.strong winds?

Paulupton

I went up there towards the end of the very strong winds a couple of weeks ago. The wind was approx 70-80mph on top and to be honest it was quite dangerous to be up there on my own..... Getting down into the wind was exhausting.

However, I was amazed by how smooth it was on the backside and having now been clocked at 171 I am pretty sure I was knocking on the door of 200.

I don't think Tom would mind me saying we are very much novices at this DS lark so for someone with experience it could be a very high speed site. :party:

Paulupton

Tom, another great video, your efforts with the camera on our trips into the wilderness are much appreciated.

Gromit

:cool: .

Stuart.

MAZ

Nice site Tom.........don't fancy carrying my 6.70m Duo up there though.....I'll stick to mild scale for now, see you soon. MAZ.

Rooster-X

Slosloper said:

Nice find, Tom.Could this be a record-buster in v.strong winds?
Yes Graham, your ideal DS slope awaits, as long as you don't mind the hike and you bring your gun the pocket radar was missing some of the faster circuits, plus we need some helpers to build a radar bunker for when the next hurricane arrives although we might have to walk up from the other side (which is even longer) to get there safely. The beauty to this site is because its at the top of a mountain you get 40mph winds at the top when its only blowing 25mph at the bottom :D

PS - its Paul's find but we have a suspicion it may have been a secret UK DS spot in the past, maybe Slopetrash will tell ;)

Tom

Rooster-X

MAZ said:

Nice site Tom.........don't fancy carrying my 6.70m Duo up there though.....I'll stick to mild scale for now, see you soon. MAZ.
We have one park and fly site for you unfortunately the rest involve lots of hiking!  Tom

Rooster-X

Floydupton said:

Tom, another great video, your efforts with the camera on our trips into the wilderness are much appreciated.

Your welcome, wish I had got the nosy helicopter on camera as well, but then again we'd probably have brought down the wrath of the HSE brigade upon us :D

Tom

Slosloper

Rooster-X said:
Yes Graham, your ideal DS slope awaits, as long as you don't mind the hike and you bring your gun the pocket radar was missing some of the faster circuits, plus we need some helpers to build a radar bunker for when the next hurricane arrives although we might have to walk up from the other side (which is even longer) to get there safely. The beauty to this site is because its at the top of a mountain you get 40mph winds at the top when its only blowing 25mph at the bottom /wp-content/forum-smileys/grin.gif PS - its Paul's find but we have a suspicion it may have been a secret UK DS spot in the past, maybe Slopetrash will tell ;)Tom

Sounds encouraging, Tom.

BTW, congrats to Paul on his 171 :cool:

God knows what speed he must have done on his subsequent solo 70+ mph wind day - that's Weldon type drive, surely.

Your video indicates the circuits are made well off the backside, which I guess is right for a big dome-top.

But that might be of benefit. Zim found some seriously good drive recently at RE with his D60 flying well off the back, not replicated when he ventured closer in. And, by all accounts, his PB at Skirrid was achieved with distant lappery.

Might be the way to go. Build-up speed off the back, then do a drive at the gun.Must pop up & have a go at some point. Though I'd probably need a chopper taxi to the top.........Secret Slopetrash site? I don't think so. His recorded PB was at RE. Well, he could have hidden it, but........ :rolleyes:

Rooster-X

It was weird, on my first session, I kept getting further and further away from the slope and really had to concentrate hard to bring it back in close. As if I was getting blown away, but I was just turning too early, I was diving in quite steeply and probably going in too deep, but at the shallower circuit angles you could bump around a lot on the shear layer, but once you found the sweet spot it was great. The pocket radar was struggling a lot and we didn't get many reads, I guess we need more practise at flying for the gun, as I think we were going too high over or we just need a bigger gun :D

Both of us found our DS rates very twitchy (set up as per Zim's measurements) so we will probably reset our mid rates to DS rate and halve the DS rates again. Maybe I need to talk to Will about Gyro's, Paul's has tip weight and flew smoother than mine but that was probably down to the pilot, as I did get a couple of smooth laps in, think its just inexperience in strong conditions, will get used to it I guess ;)

Tom

Slosloper

I've a Futaba GYA351 in a Destiny, an excellent 2 input/output ailerons gyro; the same as Will added to his D60.Can't praise it enough.The gain level used in DS is tiny.For a PB run ,you can switch it off at the TX.But be aware it's rated 4.8V max.

Rooster-X

Cheers Graham, will have a look, why would you switch it off for a PB run? :P

Tom

Slosloper

No reason to switch it off that concerns me. But there are those concerned that one's being assisted by a form of miniature robot pilot (!), so I'd simply declare gyro use against a registerable speed to satisfy the doubters.

Or just switch off the gyro & do three more laps before recording a speed in customary fashion.Whatever!The real benefit is not extra speed (though that might happen given the gyro's efficiency in assisting a clean circuit) but(1) ability to DS in a much wider range of conditions; &(2) safety.

The former is a great boon considering none of us has the opportunity to live in a state of retirement in a cabin on a perfect DS site which caters for all wind directions :confused: