Dorset , Chuffing class slopers

Bobbyr

The field next to the carpark is a bit of a scary place to land, only done it once, very turbulent, I dont know if its the close houses that cause it. I wouldnt want to use that field as a long term landing site, repairs are a chore! There is a small field south of southwell business park that looks to have no fence, it'll be a tight landing but looks ok, might have to check it out.

The coastguard area is pretty much NW and the cliffs are pretty low, in decent wind I reckon we'd get a pretty good salt bath! Worth a look though I guess, have you flown there much Bob? Everything south of Southwell business park is a shear cliff straight to the sea, I dont think it'll produce the same lift we are used to! I'm gutted to loose the current flying site.

A

I went Down to the Tip with Simon and Martin ,

Its bigger there but the car parking may be a pain , unless i have a chat with Danny Fox who owns the Pulpit Inn and see if we could park in his car park while flying ,

you may be right about NW and the field nearer the car park the flats would create havok ,

but the End of the Island is more NW facing anyway , give me a couple of Days and i will see about the Original Field , even if i offer to make a lockable gate to get Access and not allow Dogs to defacate in there .

Bob

Will have to do a reccy on the more south section. Although I fear the rotor will take up most of it.

Stu, I think the common land at the coastguard area will be big enough to get clear of the rotor, just done a quick 'thumb on the screen' in googlemaps and its bigger than the distance we walk back in the old field. My little field would be right on the limit, we'd be coming in low over the far fence.

Hopefully the rotor will be smaller if the cliff is smaller....worth a look. Guessing the portland bill carpark isn't 50p for 6 hours :)

Stu

Im off down there Now for a Fly from Coastguard office ,

Should be fine , but no good for SW , so that would have to be in the smaller field near the car park, Which should be Ok for West or SW , but as Stu said NW would not be good cos of the Flats .

I will video it and you will see its huge enough .

Bob

I'm not gonna say its as Easy ,

Cos its not . But when i got to the Tip of the Bill the wind had swung SW , so would have been better by the car park :confused: ,

I Walked over to the Cliff edge , between Coastguard office and MoD place . Launched the Ballasted Typhoon into the Crossed wind , away it went as usual , Now i flew for a few Min's , but its getting Dusky and grey down there . and Wind speed jumped from a nice 12 to 20 from when i left home , to 30 to 40 Knots . Its quite Difficult to walk back from the Edge and watch your plane in crossed conditions (i was getting buffeted around), Also there is a few bits of Stone about , not Loads just the odd bit here and there to be aware of , I landed without problem although because the wind was SW it was kinda coming up the hill a bit from the bill. So creating lift . Not a thrashing Rotor but a bit bumpy . I should have gone nearer the MoD place to land , its a lot clearer there .

Anyway, upshot is , i bunged it off again and chased a few Seagulls around . Second landing was improved because i went down further towards the Bill as opposed to going near the Coastguard office .

I think a good daylight session would get the best landing spot . as i could not see the path with ankle high brambles across . So i think its going to be fine for WNW and NW Stu/Ade , but challenging if its SW , but not impossible , however i would have just gone near the Car park on West cliff if it was daylight now . So its OK , but needs not to be SW , maybe even West at the Point would be OK

Car parking would be Easier at Upper Light house , I will go and speak to the Coast guards when i can , and ask if its OK to park up there , I'm sure there is a layby right by upper lighthouse anyway . Tonight i parked in the Free parking Zone at the Triangle just before the Pullpit Inn .

Bad news about the Field , but not the end of the world for Westcliff :D

Bob

Oh Ade ,

The Reason i dont use the Field near the carpark is because you have to go into it from the Corner , then you need to walk right to the opposite corner to clear the rotor , and the Field isnt as Flat as the One we usually land in . You never Know , maybe we could walk down the path of the Original Field , Land , then hop the fence .

Or im sure it will get the Goat of Locals who walk the Dogs there , wouldnt surprise me if the Fence got Snipped by the Local hooligans , :eek:

But i think there is alternatives, as you say the Field Between Southwell buisness park and Coast guard office is Open , and i have Permission from Cladding consultants who own the Land to fly from there . its just not as handy to get too , thats all

Bob

Well ,

This is the Video from last night , bit dark but it was at 4 o'clock and getting cloudy , lighting up time is 4;30 Lift is no different Ade , which was surpising , its maybe a little higher vertical than the normal cliff , but not as high from the sea, with absolutely no option of a land out :eek:

http://vimeo.com/34502116

camera is playing up , since it got drowned at the Woolybacks .

oh and couldn't find a better quality rip for the tune , but the video is only meant to show that the cliff works fine .

Bob

Was that vid south of the coast guard look out Bob? If so I did notice further south near the MOD bit the brambles arent there, but there are various lumps and bumps.  Anyone flown near marine radar before? There is a radar on the coastguard building.

RustyKnee said:

Anyone flown near marine radar before? There is a radar on the coastguard building.

I fly at St Agnes where there is a CoastWatch station, they have a radar there, ive had the very occasional glitch on 35mhz but nothing to make me think it is anything to do with the radar.

No problems at all on 2.4. On landing aproaches the aircraft might be over the radar or even the other side from the pilot.

Roger

I was Halfway Stu ,

But had to land Kinda 45 degrees into the wind , i didn't land in brambles m8 , but the low level buggers are next to the path , hence i stayed where i was landed then walked towards it , every time i tried walking back i was almost tripping over , and it may not have looked windy , but it was .

I did walk down the edge to the MoD place and i see there aren't as many patches of brambles . but its tufty so it still may be awkward .

When its a bit better weather i will check out closer to the MoD place , Also maybe go up next to southwell business park . that's the field with no fence at all , just half posts sticking up .

All Flyable , Even from the normal place you would have struggled today mate , especially on the edge

Bob

Gonesoaring2003

Just seen on the local news that Portland recorded the fastest wind speed at 84mph, you guys still there? I guess no flying today :D

Saturday and Sunday looking spot on for the Bill . WNW , NW , W

You up for a try Stu ?

Looked today with no rain , and landing near the MoD place is a far better option . I went in the field by the carpark on Westcliff after, It was quite bumpy landing but totally ok ,Although i dont think the Rotor is as far back , or its further back :eek:

when i got home and checked the wind it was quite gusty up to 40 knots . that would be bumpy at the original field , It needs to be a nice 20 to see how the field takes multiple landings .

Anyway painting tomorrow and back over there friday .

Bob

Bobbyr said:

Saturday and Sunday looking spot on for the Bill . WNW , NW , W ... Bob

Maybe we should do Sunday's 'Butser event' there!

Simon