Sign in to follow this  
Bobbyr

Savox HS0255

Bobbyr

Now i know some of you use these servos ,                                              but i have had 3 go in my Typhoon , and all 3 have Died/stripped gears  First flight (maiden) 1 servo locked up , Zim replaced this so no problem wink.gif Replacement Stripped the gears within 1 month frustrated.gif,so swapped it for the rudder servo , and put another MG servo in for rudder .i had flown it like this for a good few weeks , but trying to set up snap flaps at home on the bench , smoke poured out of the Elevator servo (savox 1).frustrated.gif       So used the gears out of the burnt out servo in the stripped gear servo , this gave me a fully fuctioning Savox servo grin.gif. well after Flying last week in very strong winds while Hooning, i noticed the elevator flutter violently at speed surprise.gif(really fast) on close examination the travel at the servo horn is a lot , so i removed the savox servo and had a look inside , a couple of teeth had stripped so this is why the elevator fluttered .                  Has anyone else had any issues with these servos ?, or am i just unlucky ?,            None of the servos survived a year ,                       Does anyone have any knowledge of the Savox HS0256 , they are not metal gears but the Torque rating is higher ?               Bob

RGPuk

Hmmm.  HS0255's all round in my Luna.  They've been in just over a year without problem - except for one servo that tested ok prior to install, worked fine just after install, then simply died after a single twitch during the first 30 seconds of set-up. It was very efficiently epoxied in and techno-muscle far more knowledgeable and experienced than mine was required to get the thing out. .... blush.gif Ro.

Sloper

The Savox SH0255 is one of our best sellers for a middle range servo only had 2 returns over a period of 2 years, RGpuk was one of them, up till your woes ive not heard any problems.rich

9zapman

RGPuk said:

Hmmm.  HS0255's all round in my Luna.  They've been in just over a year without problem – except for one servo that tested ok prior to install, worked fine just after install, then simply died after a single twitch during the first 30 seconds of set-up. It was very efficiently epoxied in and techno-muscle far more knowledgeable and experienced than mine was required to get the thing out. …. blush.gif Ro.
 Its  a Hmmmm from me too regarding the  255's.I fitted them  in the wing of  my luna 2 as well, following the hype that followed them.Now I am not starting a savox hate group,far from it but i will have my say.In short…not as good as the hype suggested.Fast…yes…powerful…yes for size…noisy …yes…..but accurate..no.I have a floating neutral on all 4 in the wing giving about 1mm left up then 1mm left down  when waggling the stick..on the lunas thin trailing edge. Now call me fussy..I know they are a £16 servo and in this case ,and for that reason they are good value for money..just.But the hype surrounding them suggested more at the time and promised the earth for a cheap price.I for one gambled on this and lost in my oppinion.I had a brace of s3150 at the time waiting and dispite being slower they have never let me down in the past.I have futaba s3150 in a 7yr old 4 servo wing hotliner with out issue ,ever. I wish now I had installed these as now its a major re-engineering job which i keep avoiding.Just for the informed,I eliminated soft slop too in the wing skins and paid massive attention to the linkages..thats why its only 1mm each end.I know others with a lot more! So my take…good cheap servo for a hot foamie/PMP model…not for a  medium fast 2m moulded glider with thin trailing edges….Oh well i have the s3150 now for my vector3!!!!…..such is life….chris.T PS...I would have returned them within 7days had i not glued them in so confidently making a snug install.doh.gif Edited by 9zapman

Bobbyr

Thanks Guys ,        And thank you Rich , I was aware that they are good sellers for the money .                                                                   But what else at this size/spec is only £16 ?             Thats why i asked about the HS0256 servo , because i will say something on the good side for savox , you know when you open them up that they are a quality product and very tidy gear sets , even though in my experience they havent seemed to be the longest lasting grin.gif.             

isoaritfirst

It may well be that Savox servo are unreliable or may be they are great servos but for balance consider;Any servo that continually breaks gears is either wrongly sized for the job or has the wrong linkage set -up or is being badly flown.I had some slightly underspeced servos in an Acromaster a few years back and any bumpy landing would strip the gears due to the weight of the ailerons, and linkages that were geared for big movements.My fault not the servo – they were simply too small for the job. Others may well have used this same servo happily in Acromasters if they had better gearing on their linkages or flew from proper strips where decent landings were an easy option. The Typhoon is a great model but some of them did suffer with very poor surface horn size and placement. It may be the model that is causing some of your problems.Some Typhoons also suffered with epoxy in the surface hinges which could cause binding especially if you have large throws. a binding surface and a small servo and poor linkage — will lead to problems. A bigger stronger servo may mask these problems and survive longer – but the right option is to make the model right.

Edited by isoaritfirst

Bobbyr

Mike, I made mine exactly like this  https://picasaweb.google.com/johndickison123/RCRCMTyphoonSlopeSoarer#      John did a nice Job , And i can honestly say mine was as good an Install , the thing your forgetting is that the AMT is already set (Bellcrank) , and my Servo is set as per Johns pics ,           That leaves crap pilot angry.gif,                              blush.gif  um Yep thats the problem rolling.gifrolling.gif.                         Its a good Plane Mike , I really ring its neck out in the Big winds , but honestly the only reason can be something im doing maybe .                        Just a ****** its always the the Elevator servo that goes blush.gif .                            Bob   

9zapman

Yes , totally agree about the choice of servo for the model/job in hand but my beef is with the advertising and hype of the manufacturer.If you have a new product as i did when i was ready to install with no real long term trials you have to rely on the spec… From the savox site here…. http://www.savoxtech.com.tw/sh-0255.htm   it mentions crumple free gears, over-spec, nearly 4kg of torque(at 6v)..professional quality…design…blah blah etc..etc…etc… This, on paper, is better made and foolproof to the untested ,than my s3150……and i even tested them before installing as best i could and they seemed ok…very ok for £16 and almost too good to be true……QED

Edited by 9zapman

isoaritfirst

Just checked on the pics of my Typhoon and it had Savox 257 servos in the fus.On paper slightly more speed and less torque and a slightly smaller case.I had no problems.re burning out test the push rod for binding, check that you have limits set that dont allow the servo to bind against end points of the bellcrank.Re stripping - strip it out and use something different - ideally bigger (probably not possible) so try a different servo. Pretty much first flight of my Sigma I stripped an elevator servo (again AMT) and I had used a Futaba 3155. replaced with a 15mm Inolab servo and had no problems since.I had landed on hard ground with a small but sharp doink of the nose. The kick through the tailplane was enough to strip the gears. Having ballast onboard will make things worse.Pretty unusual to strip a futaba gear although I haven't used a lot of 3155, I did expect it to be up to the same standard as the 3150 which is bulletproof and it probably is, but you cannot get away with small gears and bouncy whiplash injuries..Best learn your lesson = If it keeps stripping  fit something else that's bigger (tricky) or try something different. Or land in longer grass...

Bobbyr

I Think thats it Mike clap.gifclap.gif,          Its nearly always full of lead , and although the landings arent crashes , sometimes it can come in a bit thumpy ,                                                        So             Ive just bought a savox HS0256 , its got about 1kg more tourqe at the expence of a little bit slower movement .                     Time will tell grin.gif         maybe i could do with those springs you used to get near the clevis , that way if the pushrod slaps on a landing , the spring will give before the Gears strip,                                    Bob

Woodstock

9zapman said:

Yes , totally agree about the choice of servo for the model/job in hand but my beef is with the advertising and hype of the manufacturer.If you have a new product as i did when i was ready to install with no real long term trials you have to rely on the spec… From the savox site here…. http://www.savoxtech.com.tw/sh-0255.htm   it mentions crumple free gears, over-spec, nearly 4kg of torque(at 6v)..professional quality…design…blah blah etc..etc…etc… This, on paper, is better made and foolproof to the untested ,than my s3150……and i even tested them before installing as best i could and they seemed ok…very ok for £16 and almost too good to be true……QED
This is always a concern to me with new servos.  I am absolutely gob-smacked at how many people are investing in those fancy-looking MKS servos.  They cost a darn fortune, and I suspect people are thinking that that alone (together with the amazing advertised specs) is enough.  There's no way I'm going to use those servos until a year or two of testing in actual use has gone by.  Tried and TESTED is my motto....

Rooster-X

Well the MKS have been in peoples models for about 10 months guess we'll know the answer soon  Tom

Edited by Rooster-X

RGPuk

t9hobbysport said:

The Savox SH0255 is one of our best sellers for a middle range servo only had 2 returns over a period of 2 years, RGpuk was one of them, up till your woes ive not heard any problems.rich
Yup! I was that man.  Profound gratitude was expressed at the time but even a year down the road, it's worth a proper broadcast.Luna was required super quick, for a trip to The Isle of Skye and she wouldn't have gone had the T9 A-Team not pulled the customer service stops out big-time.  The fix was dealt with in fine spirit, on a Sunday, in a T9 kitchen, and done by expertise who made a trip across the Pennines especially - the day he was meant to be packing his family up for their holidays.Huge thanks again - and for the 0255's which continue to serve admirably even after a year of the inevitable abuse from a relatively novice flyer with his first moulded machine.(The pic is where Luna ended up flying later in the week. First cliff chuck, first coastal lift. What a buzz! .. )Ro.2.jpg

satinet

I haven't had any problems with 255s or 257s.They would probably benefit from an external bearing when used as wing servos. They seem happier in the fuse than the wing - on the flaps they have quite a bit of slop (output shaft a bit wiggly).  The horns are a little flexible too. Pretty decent for the price though I guess.  As Mike says the typhoon isn't that friendly an environment for servos as the horns are very short and the geometry a bit questionable (on some at least) - and the model is pretty fast. I don't see the comparison to a Futaba s3150 - it's a fair bit larger and twice as expensive.   S3150s - just keep trucking don't they.

satinet

isoaritfirst said:

Pretty much first flight of my Sigma I stripped an elevator servo (again AMT) and I had used a Futaba 3155. replaced with a 15mm Inolab servo and had no problems since.I had landed on hard ground with a small but sharp doink of the nose. The kick through the tailplane was enough to strip the gears. Having ballast onboard will make things worse. 
The fuse on a sigma is about 37ft long though - which probably doesn't help! Edited by satinet

isoaritfirst

satinet said:

The fuse on a sigma is about 37ft long though - which probably doesn't help!
  That's one of the reasons I love it so much and why its a keeper, its so different and so nice to fly.

Bobbyr

Update ,           My New Savox 0256 lasted 12 mins, angry.gif                                                               12 Bloody Mins.                Ok , I finished work at 1.30 pm , Decided to stop off at Ringstead on the way home to see how the new servo worked in the Typhoon , got there and found the wind to be a touch Westerly , but stuff it , i set up and launched , couple of clicks of trim , and away it went lovely.        Landed , not hard but firm , and                           frustrated.gifit stripped the gears ,  Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh angry.gifangry.gifangry.gif        Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh Savox suck arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhcensored.gifcensored.gifcensored.gifcensored.gifcrying.gifdrooling.gifdrooling.gifcrying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gifwaiting.gifwaiting.gif,           Ok , so i packed up and went off home, at home i decided that i would examine more closely the servo and install .    I found why the servo keeps going , and its nothing to do with Horn lengths , its to do with the servo moving in the tray , not much , but just enough to change the Angle at the Pushrod , thus Loading the servo .               I stripped the Servo Down and used the Metal Head from a 0255 servo , the gearing is the same in both except the cheaper has a nylon head sprocket ,             when i refitted the servo , i made sure that the servo was unable to move by adding a small ply former in the front of the elevator servo, in the fuse .                   Took it out over the cliffs, and ripped it up , big style .               It was faster than ive seen it and not 1 drop of flutter from the Elevator .                 So it was my fault , and anyone having problems with them as has been said should check every avenue .                I wont slag them off now , i will check my own work frustrated.gif             Anyway , Alls well that ends well                            Bob

Andrewmawr

Thanks for sharing that, valuable info there, i'll bear it in mind when doing mine