Sign in to follow this  
Gonesoaring2003

Skorpion Ballast Help

Gonesoaring2003

HiI bought a Skorpion a couple of months ago and it came with "some" ballast, a quick measure showed there was 3 pieces missing, and no spacers, so I thought the first thing to do was to buy spacers and then worry about full ballast at a later date (if anyone has any spare let me know).Anyway I now have a set of spacers, and fitted the ballast today, what I can't quite work out is how the last piece in (the piece nearest the nose) is held in place? Photos below hopefully show that even with the nose slid on the last piece is loose enough to disturb the tailplane pushrods and allow the 2nd to last piece of ballast to slide out.Am I missing something or do I just tape the last piece of ballast in place? (don't think that's a great idea) IMG_0435.jpg IMG_0436.jpg ThanksAlex 

Edited by Gonesoaring2003

Martin_N

Hi Alex, I used to own a Skorp, basically it should hold in total 10 slugs, where you have the last slug, is where I used to place some hard foam to hold them all in place.  Currently you will probably find you have moved the C of G forward and have to many spacers at the back. Not sure where you bought spacers but I used plastic conduit which is the right diameter for the tube.  Also if you have trouble locating some replacement ballast I may have some in the workshop letme know. Martin

Gonesoaring2003

Hi MartinThanks for reply. how did the foam keep the ballast in place without interfering with the pushrods?Would definitely be interested if you have a couple of slugs in the workshop, I hope to be at Eastbourne next weekend but am struggling to get my Pike repaired in time and have not flown the Skorpion yetnailbite.gifFor spacers I sourced some steel tube sections the right length and diameter, but hadn't thought of conduit - would probably be more forgiving in an "arrival". CheersAlex 

Edited by Gonesoaring2003

Gromit

Martin_N said:

Hi Alex, I used to own a Skorp, basically it should hold in total 10 slugs, where you have the last slug, is where I used to place some hard foam to hold them all in place.  Currently you will probably find you have moved the C of G forward and have to many spacers at the back.
 MartinYep +1. I use a piece of EPP shaped from a scrap piece left over from my Skua. As for keeping the piece of EPP in place, i simply pass some electrical tape under the pushrods & around the fuz and piece of EPP couple of times. 1 yrs flying & never had any prob whatsoever.   Stuart.

isoaritfirst

THe epp piece is about half the length of a slug and simply is put into the ballast tube with a little squeeze to make it fit. As MArtin said currently your slugs are too far forward. I glued a small piece of epoxy board into the epp slug so that it stuck out the top as a handle. It makes it easier to remove but more significantly if you make it so that it just allows the nose cone to slip over it will keep the epp slug inplace when the nose cone is on. Simples!

Gonesoaring2003

Thanks MikeI'll have a look and see what works.

Martin_N

Hi Alex, I'll dig out some ballast and bring along to Eastbourne. FYI dont forget to send me a mail if you intend to register for the Eastbourne comp before Wednesday 10pm deadline. Even if you cant make it due to the repairs, you can let me know after the registration has closed. Martin

Gonesoaring2003

Thanks Martin, that's very kind.I've just sent you my details on email for the weekend. Even if I'm not ready to fly, will come along anyway to learn and maybe help out.Cheers Alex