Pat Teakle ASW20 Restoration

swarrans

I'm feeling like a lucky bunny at the moment because I have just picked up a lovely Pat Teakle ASW20 for a good price but in need of a little loving care!It's previous owner Bill has 4 other ASW20's and lots of other exotica (he's selling a lot of stuff so contact me if you fancy a big scalie) and is a personal friend of Pat's - apparently Pat built this one himself, so I feel even more blessed.I was expecting my ASW20 to be a basket case to be honest but it is far from that - although a bit of work needs to be done on servos etc but after that it's really just a question of a major priming, filling, sanding and painting to make her look gorgeous again.One thing I'm very puzzled about is I thought the PT ASW20 was 186" span (or 4.7m) whereas mine is 5.4 without winglets and 5.9m with? She weighs "only" about 7 Kg so about a third of my Big Fox - so a lightweight really!Anyway, I'm sure you'd like to see some pictures, so here we go...

P1000524.jpg

Strike me, she's even got a scale interior!

P1000521.jpg

P1000523.jpg

P1000522.jpg

P1000520.jpg

If anyone has one as well I'd really like to hear about your wingspan and what servos you use etc

Simon

JG said:

Very nice i do like the scale gliders .... can we ask the cost ???
That's between me and my Financial Controller I'm afraid (and I haven't even told her!)

Thanks Jason and Simon - yes a nice scalie session at Thurhnam would be brilliant.  I'm confident about flying this one there, the Fox not so much so because of the weight and the airspeed it needs to get going. If I can sort the servos and others bits out over the weekend I'm hoping to maiden the ASW on Monday! Si

Hi Simon, Pat's ASW 20 was to a scale of 1/3.5 bringing it out at 4.20m, a 20L had wing extentions which took the span to 4.80m. The livery looks like one on Pat's video with bigger wings, considering Pat cut the cores he could make them to whatever span he needed. I seem to remember his ASW 22 with a shorter span of 17ft which he loved. You'll love the wing flex...scarey.  MAZ.

Thanks Gromit and Maz.

Maz - do you have a link to the Pat Teakle video or was on VHS or something? - I would love to see it if possible.Sounds like Pat may have optimised the soaring over agility on my one - I'm still going to try and roll it though! :D

Simon

• Administrators

Years ago a mate of mine had one of these and used to loop it big time, we nick named it "Mr Bendy" it was amazing how much bend they had :D

They fly great though.

I brought a Pat Teakle glider a long while ago and a restro job sold it a long while ago as well but it did come with the video tape it was interesting to watch,

if i remeber right it showed you a winch launch off the deck

• Administrators

You get some idea of wing flex here. Interesting take-off attemt :D [url="

"]

swarrans said:

Crumbs, I hope mine isn't as flappy as that!
Well, it still prolly won't flex like the full-size! Edited by Woodstock

Hi Simon, the vid was VHS, which you could buy off Pat. It showed you a few build details and the entire Teakle fleet, I liked the HP18 personally. In it he flew the 20 and 22, the latter was winched off the flat without a wheel ! I have owned a 20 but sold it on without finishing it but still have the 22 although it's almost unflyable...the wing flex has to be seen to be believed, yours will be the same, also his wings suffer from a twisting motion but nothing to be alarmed about :D . I'm 99% sure I've binned the vid. MAZ.