Pat Teakle ASW20 Restoration

swarrans

• 4 weeks later...

On further inspection I wasn't happy with the look or strength of the previous repair using that horrible Halfords resin and mat so I ripped it all out (most came out worryingly easily!

P1000529.jpg

The more paint I took off the more cracks and repairs I found so I spent a long time repairing with carbon, glass and epoxy

P1000532.jpg

Then I decided to split the elevators and put dual servos in

P1000544.jpg

In the end I've added a lot of weight (will need about an extra 200g in the nose to balance) but it's strong now and looks good. The painting went well until the last topcoat when I got loads or runs :mad:

Can't be bothetred to rectify now, will fly first and then make it pretty (the wings will look pretty awful now in comparision to the fuselage anyway).

P1000542.jpg

P1000543.jpg

Still needs a bit of work to make the wings go on and off smoothly but then hopefully I can fly her quite soon

P1000546.jpg

P1000547.jpg

This has taken rather longer than I had planned!!

Simon

Looks & sounds like repairs were more involved than you initially thought theye'd be :confused: .Hope the rest of the work needed to be done goes more smoothly for you. Stuart.

JG said:

Looking very nice i must say ;) Wish i had a shed like that at the bottom of my garden :cool:

Thanks - yes I built the shed/workhop/spray booth myself - 50 ft long!

swarrans said:

JG said:

Wish i had a shed like that at the bottom of my garden :cool:
Thanks - yes I built the shed/workhop/spray booth myself - 50 ft long!

Do you have any garden at the bottom of your shed :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have a brand new Pat Teakle ASW20 kit going for £80 if anyone's interested – only issue is that the canopy has 'yellowed' with age. May take it to the Bring and Buy at the AGM if anyone's interested. ***Edit: ASW20 now sold*** Apologies for hi-jacking your thread swarrans - the refurb looks great!CheersGreg

Edited by Greg Dakin

yipes that was one hell of a bargain someone got Greg! i would really like a standard set of wings if anyone has them in their loft so i can have an aerobatic version as well as a floater (well i hope its going to be a floater!) simon

Well she flew yesterday and it was a great experience.The first launch is shown in the video below and shows she struggled a little gaining height before the fence.

I had 6 flights and progressively took weight out of the nose improving performance each time.

I ended up taking 485 grams out - I have models that weigh less than that!She doesn't turn particularly well, but I guess is actually very scale like and there is no chance of rolls with those long wings but I will probably make another set of shorter stiffer ones for aerobatics so I have the option at the slope - gentle stooging around or wild fun!

Simon

Many thanks Phil and Stuart. I was taking it pretty easy but the wing flex wasn't too bad at all - certainly less than the full scale one!  You can see some flex in the loop on the video but that was about the most - although there was quite a bit when I was "landing" with full flap, realised I wasn't going to make it and took all the flap off - the resultant change in forces on the wing was quite impressive! Simon

Gonesoaring2003

Hi SimonLooks fantastic! On the video I think you use full crow brakes ie ailerons up as well as flaps down, when applying camber have you mixed ailerons in so the whole trailing edge lowers?I'm currently setting up a 4m Discus - my first large scalie and only have experience of F3F/B planes to call on. CheersAlex 

Many thanks chaps. Alex, I have put just a little up aileron with full down flap. One of the pop up airbrakes was sticking so I ended up disconnecting them and just seeing how she would come down with flaps - and it works really well surprisingly.

I haven't even set up camber and to be honest I probably won't with this set of wings - there's so much slop in the aileron and flaps that I don't think I could make any useful difference! When I make my new smaller wings I will probably make the camber settings - and then, yes, I would match the aileron down to flap

Simon

Fantastic video, beautiful shots and great use of light, nice landing as well. She looped very nicely for a large Pat Teakle Scalie, my PT Vega eats up lots of sky and flexes its wings too in the loop, and your right to be wary of rolling her, the PT Vega roll is an experience!

Did you experience any problems with the tail dragging around the turns? I ended up having to mix in rudder to get the Vega to turn nicely. I solved the air brake problem by reducing how much they pop up to a minimum to stop them getting stuck in the air flow, still very effective at killing the lift. I don't have flaps so can't crow her in, of course she rockets in under air brakes and needs plenty of space to land, yours seemed to come in much slower under crow which seems better to me.

Cheers Tom