Pat Teakle ASW20 Restoration

swarrans

Hi Tom, flying her was quite an experience - when she was so nose heavy she barely wanted to turn at all and even with the half kilo out she`s still not exactly responsive.

the tail definitely drags - in fact it seems thAt she responds best to leading with the rudder and then feeding in aileron.The video is down to our local slope genius Paul - did you look at some of his other videos on the goodwing blog - he really has a talent.. Looks like a good flying day tomorrow, I think I will fly my swift for the aerobatic capability and to give the ASW a rest!

simon

Simon,Just watched the video again (I had the sound on this time) and... please don't take this the wrong way... there was just one point that could make the model even better...

I know it was the maiden flight and you probably already have a little someone lined up for the job... but your cockpit is crying out for a pilot!Best of luck,

Jef

I agree with you Jef and I was hoping to use my third scale pilot from my Fox but he's too big. Looks like I'll need to buy something a bit smaller….

simon

Many thanks Chris, I have to say I kinda like her too! It's surprising in a way that she looks as "right" as she does because at 1:3.5 scale her wingspan has been stretched by 2 metres (or nearly 50%!)

Simon

swarrans said:

yipes that was one hell of a bargain someone got Greg! i would really like a standard set of wings if anyone has them in their loft so i can have an aerobatic version as well as a floater (well i hope its going to be a floater!) simon
Yeh that was me grabbing it ;)

Here's a little video I put together (trying to) show the impact of progressively removing nose weight.  Ended up taking 485 grams out with the cg going from 2.5 inches to just under 4!  Regards Simon

swarrans said:

….Ended up taking 485 grams out with the cg going from 2.5 inches to just under 4! Regards Simon

What is the root chord length Simon?

thats a big amount of noseweight - even for a big plane!did you try the dive-test with the new rearward CofG?(btw - CofG shouldnt affect the rolling/turning ability - excepting any differences in airspeed due to trim changes)

Phil.

She,s still pulling out in the dive test even at the rearward cg Phil so i am going to keep movin back (in much smaller increments!).  I guess the tailplane incidence is unknown but she's not exhibiting any nasty habits yet and the MAC is currently only about 36%. I thought a nose heavy glider would be more sluggish  in turn and roll than a properly trimmed one but I'm new to this game! si

Just learning about gliders myself, but I suppose if the CG is at around 25%, the elevator will be working harder (almost all of the time) than if it is at 35%, and as the elevator is responsible for a large percentage of the turn control, that might well make the model a bit sluggish to turn.  Still trying to understand how it would make the model more difficult to roll though. Jef

Phil said it shouldn't impact the roll performance so ignore what I said!There is no way this beast is going to roll in it's current configuration - thwt's why i am thinking of making a spare set of shorter wings with coupled flaps so that i can have a floaty version nd one for aerobatics

Simon

I find my models have better response to ALL controls as the CoG moves rearward.  But then, I haven't read those books that Phil has (and I haven't allowed my models to read them either)!

We had to change the tailplane incidence by quite a lot on the Vega to stop it pulling out of the dive, how much down trim are you running? Tom

Edited by Rooster-X

1. Always worth checking the tailplane incidence on big stuff, set it no more than 1.5deg+. If you haven't done this already I would be surprised if its right. 2. I always try to trim out the dive test before I do anything with the c.g. =  Trim it to get the right dive test result, then try flying it, give it an extended test just to overcome your initial temptations to fly it slower. 3. If you do end up adding trim back to make it flyable then adjust the nose weight. 

Woodstock said:

I find my models have better response to ALL controls as the CoG moves rearward.  But then, I haven't read those books that Phil has (and I haven't allowed my models to read them either)!
Tee hee!..Rooster-X said:
We had to change the tailplane incidence by quite a lot on the Vega to stop it pulling out of the dive, how much down trim are you running? Tom
I'm not running any down trim Tom isoaritfirst said:
1. Always worth checking the tailplane incidence on big stuff, set it no more than 1.5deg+. If you haven't done this already I would be surprised if its right. 2. I always try to trim out the dive test before I do anything with the c.g. =  Trim it to get the right dive test result, then try flying it, give it an extended test just to overcome your initial temptations to fly it slower. 3. If you do end up adding trim back to make it flyable then adjust the nose weight. 
I haven't checked the incidence (haven't got a meter, but I guess I can try and do it manually… Having said that, she is flying superbly in terms of soaring performance and is exhibiting no nasty vices so I probably need to fly her a bit more and do the dive test a few more times Edited by swarrans