Vec 3 fus repair

Pete Burgess

Can any of you chaps help me? I was flying my Vec3 at Colley Hill today, 2 OK landings but on arriving home I saw that an old crack in the fuse had finally broken the fus side (see pic)Vec-crack.jpgSo before I start messing about with an attempted repair, the question is 'How best to do it? (Note: the crack extends from the top seam to just below the wing root fairing and along the top seam for about an inch towards the nose)

Edited by Pete Burgess

slope_dragon_x

Hi PeteIs the fracture at the location of the rear support for the ballast tube?If so then it may be necessary to remove the servo tray and ballast tube before you can get a repair that will be durable.  Otherwise the "standard" procedure would be to cyano the crack and then to add strength externally with carbon tow and glass over. In this case I might be tempted to order a new fus, something I did when I cracked my Vector fus at the usual place mid-point on the boom.   My intial "cosmetic" repairs didn't work out until I used a decent sized bandage. I've not used the new fus yet as my repaired fus has turned out to be plenty strong enough, if a little unsightly.

Hi S_D (sorry don't know your name)I eventually repaired it using the Tony Fu method ie cut a window around the break/crack then just aft of the window/hole I made a carbon fibre wrap (greaseproof paper, 2 layers of thick carbon cloth (one layer cut on the 45 deg), peel ply and the whole lot wrapper around with cling film) 24 hours later and one lovely carbon repair shell. the areas along side of the hole were reinforced with additional carbon cloth and tows. I then glued some of the shell inside the hole extending fore and aft by about 2cm. When that was dry I another piece of shell to fit into the hole surface.I have since flown it in rough condititions and all seems well (fingers crossed)Vec3-repair.jpg

Edited by Pete Burgess