Vector 3 wing repair

slope_dragon_x

slope_dragon_x

I really like my Vec 3.  It is just excellent in smooth coastal air, where you can really wring it out with VTPR type stuff.  Slow and close is how I like it although I know that fast and furious is preferred by others with this model.The only problem with "slow and close" is that there is always the risk from other close-in stuff like foam.  My own false confidence at a recent busy gathering led to a coming together and my Vec came off decidedly worse.  One wing took a bit of a bashing with leading edge and tip being crushed by the impact.  Despite encouraging words from the assembled cortège, it took me a while before I could bear to look at it and plan a fix.Fortunately the spar was intact, but quite a bit of the skin needed to be replaced.  I've added some pictures which should tell a thousand words.  In brief: - residual parts of the leading edge and skins were hardened up with cyano to provide a "template" for replacement - skins were cut out in the area of greatest damage - light balsa was used to fill the void, being "keyed in to the areas of sound skin to avoid "stress raisers" around the completed repair - hard balsa sheet layer was added - first stage of filler - everything was sanded to the shape of the original "template" and then leading edge and tip removed - obechi pieces glued on for new leading edge and tip - second stage of filler - leading edge and tip shaped to profile - light glass cloth added and "feathered" into the sound areas of skin - final sanding - 2-pack paint finish with many thanks to Steve who did this job for me with 3 different colours. Vector01.JPGVector02.JPGVector03.JPGVector04.JPG Vector07.JPGVector06.JPGVector08.JPG

Gonesoaring2003

Thanks for posting SD, its always interesting to see other's repairs, I seem to struggle with the final sanding/finish - I think its usually down to impatience to get flying again.Alex 

Looks as good as new Paul, Just goes to show that there are many ways to skin a cat,Or, A Vector can contain many forces. But not all.

slope_dragon_x

Thanks Mike.  It really does look as good as new, but I know how much of that is down to Steves' excellent paintwork. The remaiden took place today in very light wind followed by no wind.  But the "magic lift" of restitution kicked in and the Vec thermalled up for several hundred feet.  So she flies as well as she looks.btw I'm amazed that a model with a symetrical section can thermal this well.  I could never get my Voltij to do anything like that.