Slope-aerobats

slopeflyer

Ok. Thats where the cracks in the get coat are. Cyano them back up? The inside of the fuz doesn't have any cracks on the epoxy is fine. I could strength this with the anti crush plate, there is enough room above the pushrod to make up a ply plate, but if the gel coat cracks aren't going to weaken it, I prolly won't bother. Prolly not worth increasing the weight as finding a suitable slope is gonna be hard enough. Just have to make sure the landings are good.

Just leave it as is Jim, mine has many small cracks in the fuz and has done since I bought it 3rd or 4th hand.....

As for colours on the underside the whole point of the Voltij on a good vertical slope is that it is flown in your face not in the clouds.

Ok, cool. Get it programmed and chuck then. I read that 4 axis stuff. Prolly not up to that right now, and it will complicate things. How about just adding reflex/thermal on a switch for now and flicking in out when inverted. Do you use spoilerons? Or flapperon?

I would programme the 4th axis but just work up to using it - cant hurt. I didnt bother installing the springs into the throttle on the tx, just position the stick in the middle for normal flight and pull back for camber and push forwards for reflex, sometimes have to have a quick glance down to check the stick is where I think it is but its fine....

If you get the C of G correct you shouldnt need to use the reflex too much, it will just add a bit of confidence to get close with the inverted passes. The camber will be handy to get a good clean launch.

I am lucky with regards to landing, the place I fly the Voltij 90% of the time has a huge LZ and its easy to just slow it up with a bit of camber and then keep the wings level and pop it down. It doesnt seem to have the same killer tip stall that Tom's Wasabi has so if I think I am approaching too quiclky I have the confidence to pull back a bit on the elevator and slow it up some more, let it settle and try again.

Interestingly there are a number of marks on the fuz for various CGs. The most rearward being the manuals specified 95mm. Looks like someone has been experimenting. Looks like 88-95mm.

The aileron throws are enormous. With the huge full span ailerons this is going to be way more nimble than the psycho I think :)

Positive movements are downwards and are measured at the root of the control surface in question. As the glider is symmetrical, there must be equal up and down movements.

The controls given here create a very agile glider on all axes. We strongly advise you not to use these controls without a lot of exponential (30-40%) to allow the necessary precision for a clean flight.

Use the flaps for 4 axis flying, i.e. the flap control is on a transmitter control stick, which you can modify by removing the return spring and making a detent to mark the center position

The Volij is specifically designed to use flaps so an elevator to flap mix should be used to get best results.

Stab with elevator: +7 mm /-7 mm

All flying tail: +14 mm /-14 mm

Rudder +35 mm / -35 mmAilerons: +30 mm / -30 mm no differential

Camber : +6 mm

Inverted camber: -6 mm

Snap flaps +20 mm / -20 mm

Elevator to flap: +15 mm / -15 mm

Air brakes: -30 mm

Elevator compensation with air brake: +50%

There are 50mm up down movements on this model at max servo travel. Thats quite a lot and looks like about 45 degrees. Reading the instructions it looks like snap flat of 20mm should be added which added to the 30mm ail makes 50mm. Pretty mad deflections. I can see that this isnt going to be fast (which is probably a good thing :) ).

Airbrakes I assume are -30mm, is this the raised spoileron? Or are these the settings for the quadro version. Not clear in manual.

Already got one Andy. The smaller one.

The more I look at this voltij, the more I think how lucky I am. Got a beauty here. Hope it flys as good as it looks.

Perhaps this is the one.

EDIT - OK i now know it flys as good as it looks.

Phil.Taylor

Not clear in manual.

I'm confident you'll ignore all of that, as usual

and any other advice

check the poster on that video - looks like it is indeed the one you now have - look after it for him, he might want it back

Phil.

Aww Phil, I wouldn't do that.

Ok it's all done. I've left the CG as it was as we know it flys good.

Rates set at 30mm, 14mm, 35mm, 20mm spolierons, 5mm down elevator.

Incidence set with incidence gauge at 0 degrees.

She's ready..... Now when the next 25 mph blow...

Polished the wings/fuz up today. They look good :)

I know you guys dont like Hi Viz decals, but i do, so i added some to give it that european look when inverted.

• 1 month later...
slopeflyer

Got a good day on edge hill, and the Voltij was maidened. Wind was 20mph, gusting 25, just one other out so had the slope to myself.

After checking over, she was chucked, a bit of flying on the elevator required until the required notches of up trim required.

She flew like she was on rails. Stunning energy retention. Sensational, and in a different league to the Psycho. Did every trick in the book, and that was before i moved her onto high rates. Had an hour before rain looked ominous and so oh and those brakes, they dont work, no one warned me about that. Landed OK in the end/no damage.

Im gonna like this, and cant wait to get her to a big hill with a big LDZ, as she really eats up the sky.

http://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_05_2012/post-1871-0-06129700-1337092211.jpghttp://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_05_2012/post-1871-0-96315800-1337092282.jpg

slopeflyer

Nice one Jimbo!

Glad to hear it went well.

Which book?

Any Video?

Jimbos book of tricks i can do.

Of course.

Also ballasted up the nyx today 4/10ths. That was good too.

• Like 1

Phil.Taylor

those brakes, they dont work, no one warned me about that.

We told you about that - but you weren't listening

Phil.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
slopeflyer

Don't worry, it's next up to be built.

Coupla weeks, it'll be flying ultrabatics on the pimple. :)

Btw, you should know I've only sold on one glider, my WT, last year.

I think the fish might be another keeper.