Sign in to follow this  
Jef Ott

Aerotowing advice wanted

Jef Ott

Finally finished trimming the Minimoa (on a huge slope) and thermalled it to cloudbase... So it's ready for aerotowing now. Maybe next weekend if the weather is calmish.

That was a long week. :D

Finally got the Minimoa Aerotowed on 5th Aug at Baldock.

Great little model for thermal or slope flying. Best 150 quid's worth ever.

A retrospectively great reason for going to the BARCS Soaring Market last year. :clap: :clap: :clap:

(Open to offers if anyone is looking for a 3.4m Minimoa and can't find one.)

Jef

CeeJayP

Hi

Whilst i am loath to offer advice on aerotowing i can pass on the way we do it, we have several tugs and gliders of all sizes, all scale and between 1/4 and 1/3 scale,we use 30 mtr towlines, builders line, i don't have a tug with huge excesses of power, its a 1/3 scale Piper pacer with a zenoah 80 for power, now as the plane already weighs 38lb and a 1/4 scale glider another 12 to 15 depending on the size vertical towing is out, so scale tows are the norm, so we climb steadily letting the glider stay slightly above tug wherever poss, now there is no need to turn the glider it will follow the tug around turns what the glider guider needs to do is keep the wings level and the line tight, good use of the airbrakes here, two or three good sized circuits will get you a good height for release, if i can manage it i will post a very early attempt

chris

here goes

and how the full size chaps do it

mikehall

I have a Black Horse Minimoa with which I intend to try aerotowing. The tube in the nose down which the towline must pass seems awfully long (7" long x 1/4" diameter) compared to other aerotow set-ups where the release hook is right in the nose.

I was planning to use a tow strop made from strimmer nylon with a loop at each end (with the loop formed by passing the line back on itself through heat-shrink tube, shrunken and cyanoed). This seems to pass down the nose tube reasonably smoothly when tested, but is there a better way to make up the towline end to use with this type of glider installation?

Jef Ott

I have a Black Horse Minimoa with which I intend to try aerotowing. The tube in the nose down which the towline must pass seems awfully long (7" long x 1/4" diameter) compared to other aerotow set-ups where the release hook is right in the nose.

I was planning to use a tow strop made from strimmer nylon with a loop at each end (with the loop formed by passing the line back on itself through heat-shrink tube, shrunken and cyanoed). This seems to pass down the nose tube reasonably smoothly when tested, but is there a better way to make up the towline end to use with this type of glider installation?

The doubled strimmer nylon sounds a bit stiff to me, and 7" sounds like a long way, but if it pulls out of the tube with very little effort then it will be OK.

I was a bit worried about my system releasing properly, but the airframe drag on a 3.4m Minimoa is obviously greater than I thought it would be, especially when being towed up, as the release was virtually instant.  

Looking forward to doing some more aerotowing soon!

Jef

Bustergrunt

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeuAMxDhp8w

This was my first attempt atbaerotowing on Sunday, I was the Tug pilot and my flying buddy was the glider pilot.

A very small scale affair but worked like a charm, we had about 6 flights during the day.

Tug - Thunder Tiger Cessna with S/Tigre 75

Glider - CM Pro Ventus

• Like 1