Electric virgin asking stupid questions

thermaldoctor

thermaldoctor

Hi,Sorry to bother you all with such a stupid and basic question but I'm new to electrics and want to get this going asap.I find, that upon start up, the motor is very notchy and sometimes won't even run. if I spin the prop by hand and start it up it's fine.Set up is an overlander Tornado revolution 2200KV inrunner and speedo is also an overlander as part of their bundle for the cherub glider soI know it works. I have yet to program the speedo so it doesn't even have a brake yet but it is already successfully sorted with respect to basic operation.ThanksNeil Jones

• Committee Member

It sounds like it could be a faulty motor, could be a wire in the winding is broken in which case all you can do is send it back.Or its worth a try, swap over one of the three leads from the esc to the motor. It could be the motor will then run in reverse,If that happens swap over one of the other leads.Take the prop off before you put any power through the motor because if it bites you, you wont forget it in a hurry

thermaldoctor

Steve J said:

I would try changing the ESC's timing setting. Steve
Thanks I will give it a go. As I mentioned I've not programmed the speedo at all yet so this gives me something to go on.CheersNeil

thermaldoctor

PeteMitchell said:

It sounds like it could be a faulty motor, could be a wire in the winding is broken in which case all you can do is send it back.Or its worth a try, swap over one of the three leads from the esc to the motor. It could be the motor will then run in reverse, If that happens swap over one of the other leads.Take the prop off before you put any power through the motor because if it bites you, you wont forget it in a hurry
Thanks Pete. I did mess about with the 3 motor wires to get it going because all 3 speedo wires are blue and the motors are black yellow and red so not exactly colour coordinated. Also the motor and speedo instructions didn't give any information about hooking it all up either so I'll try what you and steve said and go from there.RegardsNeil

Neil,I have had exactly the same problem, and you need to get the motor timing and soft start sorted OR if you have a servo slowing function on your Tx, set it up for slow throttle opening. I set mine to 3 seconds, YMMV. This will get you started at least, but ideally you want to set the ESC correctly.Buy a programming card, if you can't find one for your ESC, ask on here (or more active electric forums) to see if someone has one that they may lend you.  Good Luck,Jef

thermaldoctor

Jef said:

Neil,I have had exactly the same problem, and you need to get the motor timing and soft start sorted OR if you have a servo slowing function on your Tx, set it up for slow throttle opening. I set mine to 3 seconds, YMMV. This will get you started at least, but ideally you want to set the ESC correctly.Buy a programming card, if you can't find one for your ESC, ask on here (or more active electric forums) to see if someone has one that they may lend you.  Good Luck,Jef
Thanks Jef.I have now tried all the timing settings and although high timing is better, it still isn't right. I have also swapped the motor wires about and it hasn't helped. I've gone through all the speedo programming via the tx and set up the brake, played with the timing etc. At the moment it is on a normal fast start up so I'll try a soft start to see if it helps. It's weird though – it runs beautifully when going and sometimes starts up okay (but always a little hesitation at the very begining)?When it doesn't start very well it seems to jitter between forward and reverse and sounds quite rough. Sometimes it sorts itself out and goes on to run nicely, other times it just dies and no amount of throttle does anything. If I then go back to neutral and boot the throttle up again it comes back to life and the whole process of will it won't it starts all over again.When its still rotating after coming off the throttle it starts up again perfectly with no jitter or hesitation. When it fails to start up and dies, if I rotate it half a turn or so and try again it starts up okay.

thermaldoctor said:

I have now tried all the timing settings and although high timing is better, it still isn't right.
There was me thinking that low timing might fix it smile.gifthermaldoctor said:
When it doesn't start very well it seems to jitter between forward and reverse and sounds quite rough. Sometimes it sorts itself out and goes on to run nicely, other times it just dies and no amount of throttle does anything. If I then go back to neutral and boot the throttle up again it comes back to life and the whole process of will it won't it starts all over again.
When its still rotating after coming off the throttle it starts up again perfectly with no jitter or hesitation. When it fails to start up and dies, if I rotate it half a turn or so and try again it starts up okay.
I had a similar case with an AXi 2208/20 and a HiModel ESC and I seem to recall that turning off the soft start improved things.  Do you have another ESC that you could try ? Steve

thermaldoctor

Steve, Jef, Pete Thanks again for all your help & suggestions.I have tried a soft start both on the tx and programmed into the esc and still the same. Again, when it jitters back and forth and then dies all I have to do it rotate it by hand just 1/4 turn and it starts up again fine. Unfortunately I don't have a spare motor or esc to see if somethings at fault.I could send all the bits back but it's only going to be a training tool over the winter so I'm happy to live with it..RegardsNeil

• Committee Member

NeilI think you have confirmed the motor is nbg.For safety sake I would return it to overlander.You having to give the prop a twist every time the motor don't run is an accident waiting to happenJust my 2d Pete

Sorry to add to the confusion - but I have had the same problem with a particular example of an esc.Eventually replaced by Overlander, problem completely solved.( this was a respected American brand  - of which I have several earlier examples, all still working correctly).

• 2 weeks later...
thermaldoctor

It was the motor at fault - well done Pete. It had a dodgy, maybe even broken winding on one of the coils. Stuck a new motor in there and perfect. Thanks again for all your help wink.gif Neil