Sign in to follow this  
ChrisInTheVale

Multiplex 2.4 M-Link Receiver Antenna issues

ChrisInTheVale

Hi All, I now have two such M-Link receivers (RX-7-DR lights ) which have antenna in poor state of repair (as a result of using external whiskers on my F3F and other carbon models).

One has a frayed antenna and has lost an inch off the other antenna - the other came back from the slope today with the one inch long "silver bit" missing off one of the two antenna. In future I guess I should encase the entire outside whisker section in a thin tube (though this does mean making larger holes in the fuse :mad: ). Are such antenna fixable?

The top silver section in particular is prone to being bent and eventually lost over the course of many landings - At 70-80+ quid a pop - even the "light" version of these receivers are not cheap to replace. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the precise length of antenna and even the precise length of the uncovered silver section at the tip is required to be absolutely precise. :confused: Have you guys ever fixed one of these?

I have seen a video on YouTube of someone buying and fixing replacement coaxial 2.4 antenna for some makes of receiver - but not Multiplex. (I appreciate the absolute top of the range of mpx receivers have replaceable antenna). Do I give these up for lost - buy new and start drilling bigger holes in my F3F's to stick protective sheaths through?

Generally I'm very happy with the Cockpit SX 2.4 - and what it provides for a relatively low cost - but boy the cost of receivers makes up for it.. and I've only ever bought the "Light" series . When push comes to shove - if a very comprehensive range check suggests the missing silver section is not the end of the world - I may keep it in the Flying Fish - but I wouldn't bring myself to have it in the Strega or Air one. Any thoughts / experiences about broken 2.4 antenna welcome.

Chris

satinet

Mike Ridley can fit new ones.

ChrisInTheVale

Thanks Satinet

-that was a name I spotted months ago in relation to fixing receivers - and was unable to find today,

I just googled and emailed for info. :)

Mr Ed

The MPX receivers use the same snap on connectors as everyone else. The only critical bit of the aerial is the exposed bit that stick out of the coax at a bit under 32mm long. Quite how precise this distance has to be I don't know. Here's the inside of a 6ch Rx. IMG_0052.jpg

swarrans

....and you can buy the replacement connectors from giantcod for next to nothing and replace them yourself!

Simon

ChrisInTheVale

Mr Ed said:

The MPX receivers use the same snap on connectors as everyone else. The only critical bit of the aerial is the exposed bit that stick out of the coax at a bit under 32mm long. Quite how precise this distance has to be I don't know.

Thanks both – I was not sure if the overall length of the wire was an issue or just the silver end part…The overall length of the damaged ones is about 11cm – these are 15 – but the important end part – I would guess should be the same – I may get these to try. inexpensive and ready to clip on.

http://www.giantcod......05268.html

satinet

It's the length of the end bit. The service agent will fit a longer aerial if you like.Some 2.4 rxs have a long tail version eg. Jeti

Mr Ed

Don't be too gung-ho when fitting them. Those connectors are designed for a small number of pluggings.

f3fman

So is it only "the end bits" that you need to try to get at right angles, rather than bothering to get the whole of the wires in a straight line and at right angles to each other ?

Austin

f3fman said:

So is it only "the end bits" that you need to try to get at right angles, rather than bothering to get the whole of the wires in a straight line and at right angles to each other ?
That's correct.

satinet

Yes.

Notice on 2.4 rxs, there is a wide variety of overall aerial lengths but the end bit is always the same length.2.4ghz is a far shorter wave length than 35mh (obviously) so the aerial length will be much shorter.Or are you pulling my leg?!

AnthonyB

Hi guys, I have exactly the same problem - I need an antenna.

Do the ones from Giant Cod actually fit the Mpx Rx ?

Anthony.

Adam Richardson

Yes they are all interchangeable as far as I'm aware.

I've even had great success with replacing one with a 1.5 meter one!

• Like 1

AnthonyB

Thank you Adam, I have ordered some.

Anthony

AnthonyB

Thanks again Adam, they came today and I put one in - everything great. (Thoroughly tested)

At 1.5m, I would have thought the attenuation would be a little high - obviously not.

Anthony.

ChrisInTheVale

Hi guys, I have exactly the same problem - I need an antenna.

Do the ones from Giant Cod actually fit the Mpx Rx ?

Anthony.

Also got my last batch from T9 http://www.t9hobbysport.com/item.asp?catid=115&subcatid=238&prodid=598

(only tried the standard length ones - but used them in the RX6 and RX7 and range test seems perfect)

AnthonyB

Blimey, I never thought of that (I'm stupid) ......... I bought the Electra off Rich + 4 servos + some Mpx stuff.

I rang Gordon's place and was told "it is not a user repairable item" - so I dropped Mpx people because of the availability from Giant Cod.

Anthony.

Robert099

Can anyone confirm if the long extensions can be used inside a carbon fuselage exiting and set to 90degrees at or near the tailplane?

AnthonyB

Hi robert, I just bought a few from Giant Cod.

I got some short ones and some long ones ............. The long ones have an extra "bit" on the end - presumably to make it into a full dipole. I just used the short one and have not tried the long yet.

Why would you want to go down the boom ?

If it is all carbon, it is all carbon.

This 2.4 stuff suffers considerable attenuation at longer lengths (probably why they have the bit on the ends of the long ones).

I think it is important to be able to see at least 1 at all times and if all carbon, then it should stick out by the length of the silver bit extra (2 x length of silver) I use plastic tubes.

Anthony.

Robert099

Anthony

I still use 35 at present and on carbon fuselages I extended the aerial down the inside of the fuselage and form a Y inside the V tails. This system has not given me any problems.

I have heard of problems with fitting the 2.4 aerials whisker style through the fuselage at the front end so I was thinking of doing as I do for 35 and run them inside the V tails. The other option I thought about was to add a small Y shaped support projecting from the rear of the fuselage to support the aerials.