F3F World Championship 2012

Greg Dakin

I never realised how expensive F3F was, 330 euro's each for the senior competitors and team manager, hope Martin can sell enough polo shirts! :eek:

That's just the entry!Then you've got 7 days accommodation and travel to Rugen and back, plus food and drinks. 5 days of Competition though

Gonesoaring2003

Skip said:

That's just the entry!Then you've got 7 days accommodation and travel to Rugen and back, plus food and drinks. 5 days of Competition though

And how many models!!!!

We do get funding support from the BMFA / SFTC but the amount is minimal, therefore the majority of the cost is covered by the pilots themselves. You also have to remember this year we have F3B and F3J world Championship events.

The F3J guys will be travelling to South Africa to compete, imagine the cost they have to cover. This is the reason for the Polo-Shirts, although it will only raise a small amount towards the pilots / managers costs, anything will help.

I will approach some resellers to see if we can get other sponsorships, ultimately the pilot foots the bill. Any ideas welcome. :D The first order for these shirts will be placed this week, if anyone is still to contact me please do so asap. I am going to get some hats embroidered as well.

Thanks

Martin

Gonesoaring2003 said:

And how many models!!!!

By all accounts, one per round if the wind blows strong enough ;) Greg

isoaritfirst

I can confirm that, having flown there in the VR2004. All my models did come home unscathed, but I was very much in the minority. There were quite a few pilots who came home minus 3 models. Great location for a race though.  We managed to fly every day, it can be cold due to the wind coming off the Baltic but was mainly sunny in 2004. 

you are only allowed 3 and they will be scrutinised but it they are all the same you could keep rebuilding with the spares from the others. frank

isoaritfirst said:

I can confirm that, having flown there in the VR2004. All my models did come home unscathed, but I was very much in the minority. There were quite a few pilots who came home minus 3 models. Great location for a race though.  We managed to fly every day, it can be cold due to the wind coming off the Baltic but was mainly sunny in 2004. 
bet they dont fly an 80mtr course in the WC though

For anyone going to Rugen I offer the following advice too:

1. Learn to land in rotor by powering down through it and using brakes only at the last second.

2. Learn to fly the model up and down in slope lift whilst walking along a 300 metre path tree-lined on both sides, parallel to the slope edge but giving you narrow "overhead" visibility only in that 300 metre band. (This is where several lost sight of models in 2004)

3. Be sure to check out where the "bases" are, some were in the middle of a bush so you need to fly out a bit at that point !!!

4. Learn to turn quickly after launch, along the slope edge, as some of the slopes only have lift fairly near the edge; or launch at an angle along the slope but beware this can be a good way to crash quickly if the air is turbulent.

5. Pray you don't get the wind direction where the slope is max 2 metres above the sea, and is over the sea, and won't support a Zagi but will support our more efficient F3F models

6. If you land in the sea, run quick, the models "swim out to sea" rather than drift back in.

7. Be prepared to throw back the curtains first thing in the morning to see some competitors already out on the slope practicing.

8. Use a map, not sat nav, when driving there, our car got ahead of our loose convoy of three as we didn't have sat nav to divert us through a local village on the way ! (My wife loves this story as she was map reading for me !)

9. Have lots of fun, we did ! :D

Took 2 Acacia 1s, broke out the elevator horn on one landing, quickly cynoed, no other damage. (still have them in fact although one is now well and truly damaged)

Gonesoaring2003

Martin_N said:

We do get funding support from the BMFA / SFTC but the amount is minimal, therefore the majority of the cost is covered by the pilots themselves. You also have to remember this year we have F3B and F3J world Championship events.

The F3J guys will be travelling to South Africa to compete, imagine the cost they have to cover. This is the reason for the Polo-Shirts, although it will only raise a small amount towards the pilots / managers costs, anything will help. I will approach some resellers to see if we can get other sponsorships, ultimately the pilot foots the bill. Any ideas welcome. :D

The first order for these shirts will be placed this week, if anyone is still to contact me please do so asap. I am going to get some hats embroidered as well. Thanks Martin

How about doing like the French Le-mans car racing teams do, sell space on your models – say charge £10 for people to sign them (carefully) in say a 2 inch square block. I'm sure some of us that won't be fortunate or skilled enough to attend would like our names to be present :) .

Or how about approaching T9 and sloperacer for some raffle prizes? Offering them space on your planes to advertise in return.

thermaldoctor

We do get funding support from the BMFA / SFTC but the amount is minimal, therefore the majority of the cost is covered by the pilots themselves. You also have to remember this year we have F3B and F3J world Championship events. The F3J guys will be travelling to South Africa to compete, imagine the cost they have to cover.

Hello Martin,

Having done several World and European f3j championships you'll find that what money the BMFA allocate each pilot, although gratefully received, always just about covers entry the fees and banquet.

There's never much left spare. As you know, the rest is usually down to the pilots to find somehow so polo shirts – or anything – is a good idea. Be aware though the Team Manager has a far bigger budget and has the option of a (near) all expenses paid trip or sharing the additional funds between pilots and helpers.Yes we're off to Johannesburg this August for the F3j worlds which will cost a fortune – flights are app £700 each plus I dread to think of what they'll charge extra for the model boxes.

Best of luck

Neil

Hi Alex,

I'm not sure if the guys would want signatures all over their models. With regards to raffle prizes I can confirm that one or the 2 resellers mentioned in your post has already contacted me to do exactly what you have suggested. I will let you all know the details soon on the prizes and ticket price.

Thanks

Martin