Sign in to follow this  
slopeflyer

Wing connectors

slopeflyer

Guys, Sorry if this has already been answered before.I was kitting out my alpina and i wondering what was the consensus of opinion on the best wing connector with respect to the following.a) which to use, i was going to use these http://www.hobbyking.....oduct=9638

It may be tricky to connect aileron, flap and airbrake onto a single connector, as they are pretty small and 6 wires takes up some space. Is there a 'best' way to wire in this instance? B) which connector is best where - ie female in wing or fuz.c) is it best to attach both connectors with epoxy/cyano or leave one floating (which), or both floating.d) do i epoxy over the wires once soldered? West standard be OK? Also what the consensus on servo plugs.

Do you normally chop them and solder? The reason i ask is that this time i do not have enough room for the wire and std connectors in my bays (it would entail chopping the wing which im not keen to do). TIAJ.

Andy_B

Wow .. the New improved Jimbo ……….. :) Bear in mind that people use the green connectors because the multiplex ones can carry loads of current and the ones your looking at are MPX style ones ..ie not official ..

but theyll do the jobuse the female end in the fuz is the usual replay as that way you have less chance of a short to power …no power in the wings is thereand yeah you can eitehr use heatshrink on the ends or epoxy fix the fuz end and leave the wing end floating …auto mating is ok until your wings move ..(ask Adam)

as for servo wire ends …depends on how confident you are making the ends yourself and or soldering your choice which ever is better for you Hows that …………………… :D

slopeflyer

Excellent thanks.I didn't mention there are nine wire not six as I have airbrakes too.

Phil.Taylor

that can actually be 5x wires to the mpx plug = +, -, 3x signal

(if you combine all 3x +/- into single +/- before the plug)

Phil.

slopeflyer

Phil.Taylor said:

that can actually be 5x wires to the mpx plug = +, -, 3x signal(if you combine all 3x +/- into single +/- before the plug)Phil.

How far from the plug do recommend for the merge? I think ill try and do it as close as possible, probably within the last inch so i can heatshrink/epoxy.Since the plug has 6 pins i could double up one of the + or -.

Any suggestions which? Perhaps the -ve off the aileron? Or +ve? Reason being longer run/less noise.

Jef Ott

Coincidentally, I was just about to post my ideas for wing connectors in the Barcs Builders Workshop and I was going to start another thread, but it's relevant here, and hopefully saves confusion. Maplin's SIL (Single Row) connectors are cheap and easy to use, and they have a 2.54mm (0.1") pin pitch.The Multiplex connectors are probably good for big models, but on a model build with a two servo wing, where weight was a bigger consideration, I stuck some SIL connectors together to produce this…

Opt-Plug-and-socket-for-Zero4.jpg

When I needed a fairly thin connector with nine pins and nine sockets I made this…

Optima-Pro-Nine-connection-made.jpg

Optima-Pro-Nine-connection-wing-plug-con

Optima-Pro-Nine-connection-fuselage-conn

The pics make it look bigger but remember there is only 7.62mm (0.3mm) pitch between the end pins on the row of four.On the original 4-pin connector I used Araldite to support the wires.

On subsequent 4-pin connectors and on the nine pin connector, I used fast setting epoxy and heat-shrink as it makes a neater job.Neither has given me any problems, in use now for over 2 years. On the rows of three I soldered the positive wires. I soldered three negatives to the rows of 4, and one of the impulse wires.

On the rows of two, I soldered the remaining two impulse wires.Both looms are free to roam about as they wish. The wing loom is long enough for the connector to extend one inch beyond the nearest wing edge (on this model it was the trailing edge), which makes connection and disconnection easy.

Jef

Bobbyr

Thats a tidy solution Jeff :clap: :clap:

I tried doing MPX greens, I melted 3 by getting a bit to carried away with the soldering Iron :D

Bob

Jef Ott

Here is a link to the relevant page on the Maplin's website (it is a devil of a job finding the correct page by using their search facility). http://www.maplin.co.....ctors-5348

It is easiest to solder the connectors on each row before sticking the rows together.If you splash solder between the positive wires, and between the negative wires, it improves the integrity of the connectors.Also, on the second nine wire connector, after soldering the positive wires to the pins,

I put a heatshrink insulator around them to prevent any problems with shorting to either the negs or the impulses.Hope that makes sense.

Jef

slopeflyer

Yes, jef, nice job but above my skill level for now. I Can just about manage soldering..

Anyway judging by the lack of response the consensus is to leave the spare pin i have 'free' and just solder the positives together on a singe pin and same with negative, so im using 5 out of the 6. Thx.

slopeflyer

The job is done. Wired the connectors. I soldered the three red on a pin on one end. I soldered the three black on another pin on another end. Then i wired each feed as a single connection. Then i potted the whole thing in epoxy.

Everything went smoothly and the job wasnt as bad as i thought it would be, the three on one pin were a bit of pain but not so bad. Ive decided to go with a floating connector at the wing fairing side, mainly becuase purchase to the fuse side is pretty poor and is likely to move over time.

loom2.JPG

And the finished article.

built.JPG