F3B Electric

clive Needham

I think it's worth waiting for a calmer day for a mid week practice session. It's not really ideal conditions for setting up models for normal conditions.  There's no point doing a few 300 plus launches then launching like a pudding when it's 1mph.    

We'll pick a day soon.  Hopefully I can fly the f3f at the weekend and get a feel for me new transmitter and retrim the model after repairing the fuselage inner nose. 

i would rather have a calmer day so we can maximise the practice. Sort launch modes correctly and then have some meaningful practice. 

Good of luck at thrunham Jeff. 

I would have loved to have seen you launching to 300m.

The reason we don't do much better in Rocket Gliding, is that the only practice sessions that the FAIR Team get are national and international competition days, because they only want to practice in near perfect conditions.  I had hoped that this wasn't the case with F3B.

This is the UK. An island battered with inconvenient weather.

Thanks for trying though.

Jef no disrespect but you are showing something of a lack of understanding.

The problem with flying in strong winds is more that it is too easy to launch, not too difficult. Everyone can do good launches when it's windy. Low wind conditions sort the men from the boys in f3b not high wind. (All winching is the same in fact of course)

High wind has its problems like gusts, snapped lines, stressed models, more difficult landings etc of course. For me it's not really worth it as i would rather spend the time practing in different conditions where i can refine my launch settings better. In an ideal world i would be able to fly more often in all conditions.

It is my lack of understanding which drives me to want to attend a practice session. Information in any detail is surprisingly hard to attain by other methods.

Believe it or not, I am trying to find ways of preventing the decline of F3B.

I can understand others, that may be interested, in giving up before their first taste.

However, I remain positive and am hopeful that an idyllic day will arrive when three of us can all get the time off work, outside of the thermal competition flying season. 

Fingers crossed.

Jef 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Jef said:

Is there a meeting in the UK this weekend?

F3B Speed Contest (Only Speed Task) - Contact Tom Satinet

• Like 1

Jef, yes but it's t'up north near retford.

Anyone can attend. Well as long as you have a suitable model and bmfa insurance at least! 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This is an interesting discussion. I have been considering getting back into F3B after 34 years but I really do not care for winch launching much these days, the convenience of electric launch has really spoiled me!

Locally the F3B scene is rather quiet but we have been trying to get new pilots involved. By allowing electric launch (at the moment limited to 250m and single launch) we hope to attract new blood. From a practice point of view electric launch allows a lot of flying in a short time with minimum effort.

We have now had one F3B practice session with another one in the next 2 weeks, it was great fun for all involved! For the first session we had a "no stop watches allowed" rule, simply teaching the new guys the basics of a good speed run without pushing it and trying to beat the opposition. It worked well and allowed pilots to fly with "normal" non F3B planes as well.

I had the only flying electric F3B plane there, and old F3B Javelin converted to electric launch. After my first practice flight where I could do 3 speed runs in quick succession I could see the interest from the older "string launch only" guys as they realized the advantage from a practice point of view. I know at the next session we will have more electric launch planes with at least a new electric Shinto already flying.

27669812632_b50c0b3f5a_z.jpg

Javelin ready for the first practice session.

27159180213_d243ace5b0_z.jpg

All you need to have fun, the plane, TX and a few charged batteries.
27158279084_f844f4c5ef_b.jpg

A couple of planes at the practice session, yes, it is mid winter here as you can see from the dry grass, great flying weather this time of the year!

Long live F3B!

Regards,

Rudi