Sign in to follow this  
Adam Richardson

Charging LILO battery's

Adam Richardson

Graupner do a 6000mah battery for my new tx, but it's a LILO has anyone any experience charging these? Can they be charged the same as any other kind of battery or would I need a new charger, I can't seem to find much info on the net, or if the supplied wall charger that came with the tx would charge it. The strange thing is, in the tx menu I can change between either nimh or lipo not LILO. And I'm a bit concerned that the 6000mah is only 3.7volt!! I'm still not convinced on the 4.8volt nimh that's in it. Must be ok tho as it apparently has 5 kilometre range!

isoaritfirst

Lilo Voltage level: 3.6 V/cell Max. charge voltage: 4.1 V/cell Allowable fast charge current :1C or less Min. discharge voltage cut off level: 2.5 V/cell or higher

LiPo Voltage level: 3.7 V/cell Max. charge voltage: 4.2 V/cell Allowable fast charge current: 1C or less Discharge voltage cut off level: 3.0 V/cell or higher 

My old Nova charger has a lilo setting – but sure a lipo set wouldn't do it any harm.

satinet

my chargers have a different setting for lilo, lipo and life. Guess they are different.

Adam Richardson

Thanks mike, Just read that the mc32 transmitter comes with a 1s 6p lithium ion!

So I presume it's the same as that. So can I charge a lithium ion on a lipo setting.

Jef Ott

Adam Richardson said:

Thanks mike,Just read that the mc32 transmitter comes with a 1s 6p lithium ion! So I presume it's the same as that. So can I charge a lithium ion on a lipo setting.
The old Pro Peak Prodigy chargers have "3.6V" and "3.7V" settings on the LiIo setting. You should be able to get one of those fairly cheaply now secondhand.You cannot safely charge a 3.6V pack on a charger circuit designed for 3.7V Cells.

Jef 

isoaritfirst

LiIo = lithium ion (3.6V),LiPo = lithium ion polymer (3.7V). Lilo and LI-ion are hard cased cells, Li-poly are the soft ones. 

Interestingly its very hard to find any mention of LiLo batteries on the net except when referenced in charger specs.I did see one post that stated that it is actually Li Io  a capital I not an L and that it was just another term for Li-ion. 

And clipped from elsewhere - no guarantee that its right;"The different charge voltage is said to be a leftover from the early days, when cylindrical LiCo Li-Ion cells had a maximum recommended charge voltage of 4.10 Volts. Modern LiCo cells can be charged to 4.20 Volts, however many have discovered that LiCo cells last quite a bit longer if charged to only 4.10 Volts, at the expense of only being charged to 90% capacity. Perhaps this is why the two voltage settings are still provided." 

But having read a few other bits it seems to be.

satinet

Adam Richardson said:

And I'm a bit concerned that the 6000mah is only 3.7volt!! I'm still not convinced on the 4.8volt nimh that's in it. Must be ok tho as it apparently has 5 kilometre range!
Well if watts are volts * amps, you don't need a lot of either to get your 100mw that is the max transmission power for a 2.4ghz transmitter.

Adam Richardson

Thanks mike, Tom. Im starting to think that the " L or l " is a bit of a miss print, and should actually be an "I or i" in. Which case I'll be ok as my chargers do charge Li-Io,

satinet

Hi Adam, I had a second look at my chargers and they say LiIo.  Guessing that is the a common type? T

Yoyo

satinet said:

Hi Adam,I had a second look at my chargers and they say LiIo.  Guessing that is the a common type? 

It was the earliest type, so I guess they are older chargers? 

LiPo is probably most common in modelling circles now, LiFe is up and coming because it's safer when charging and/or damaged, but it hasn't got the same super high discharge ratings as LiPo's have so it'll be a while before they take over.