Sign in to follow this  
Gary B

Spoiler operating line?

Gary B

Busted one spoiler line on my Hi-Phase this afternoon, frayed at the servo end. Flew it without spoilers thinking there were no thermals about and it stayed up for 14 minutes!!I used 'strong thread' originally with loops at each end, crimped with a piece of tube same as a pull-pull set up.

I want to replace both lines, just wondering what's a good product and where do you get it from?

Looked at Kevlar thread on eBay, used for fly tying, looks strong but a bit thin to me.I've heard of 'spiderwire';, I think the DLG guys might use it on the controls.

Couple of piccies of the setup:

PictureorVideo307.jpg 

PictureorVideo311.jpg Cheers  Gary

Jef Ott

You want some nylon covered braided fishing wire.For your application Kevlar would not be a good idea as it will tend to cut through the inner radius of any bends (in your photo it looks like the control run does at least one 90 degree bend).

Go to any good angling shop for a look at some different breaking strain products.They sell some nice crimp tubes for finishing off the ends too.Hope this helps,

Jef 

Gary B

Cheers Jef, a fishing tackle shop visit looks likely!

Yep, they do a 90 around a short length of hardwood dowel where they enter the fuselage. I think the crimps themselves could also cut the line but I can't think of a better way of doing it.

I've got two other gliders with the same spoiler setup, a Multi-Phase and a Flair Albatross, they supplied the thread with that kit, sort of waxed string stuff.Course, everyone will be asking why I haven't got spoiler servos in the wings, the answer is I'm old fashioned!! The system works very well and it's light. 

GB

Jef Ott

Gary B said:

...sort of waxed string stuff.... GB

Sounds like dental floss. If it is, I think that is Kevlar string based too. (I might well be wrong.) That sort of stuff is great in a straight run, but if you tie it to a servo arm (or a piece of hard wood on a bend) it will eventually cut through the arm / wood.

It is commonly used very effectively in straight runs with glass beads stuck into the servo arms / horns, or with piano wire loops to protect the horns.Will supply photos if you have any problems understanding what I am on about.

Jef