Dear Diary

busterflier

Inspired by Ric’s Polaris here’s an old but bright one to cheer you all up a bit. Phoenix model products Wannabee all done in profilm. 

6DA8CF59-7DF1-43FE-82D2-6A47C3D03D8E.jpeg

A3CCFEE3-A8CC-4DAB-97D2-8C6BC77A7669.jpeg

• Like 3

Here’s another one for you out there in lock down land. This one is not quite so colourful. Stan's Eppisoar finished in June 02 in vynal tape. The chequered is done by weaving inch wide blue and yellow tape. This model was the subject of an RCM&E kit review later that year

6866B851-D12C-44FD-A956-6F64971803BA.jpeg

• Like 2

That's beautiful Mr Wookman.

'The chequered is done by weaving inch wide blue and yellow tape.' That's mad 🙂  But looks brilliant!

I ought to put rebuild and recover my Stan Yeo Banshee and EPP Hawk on my lockdown list of things to do.
EPP Hawk bought off Ebay years ago, Banshee bought second hand at Inwood models - not as many years ago as the Hawk.

Thanks tonym. 

I have had a lot of Stan’s aeroplanes over the years and they all fly well. Since Epp became difficult to get hold of he has been rekitting  some his classics and developed some new stuff too all in proper tree wood too.

I will see what else I can dig out to brighten up people’s days. 

2 hours ago, wookman said:

Here’s another one for you out there in lock down land. This one is not quite so colourful. Stan's Eppisoar finished in June 02 in vynal tape. The chequered is done by weaving inch wide blue and yellow tape. This model was the subject of an RCM&E kit review later that year

6866B851-D12C-44FD-A956-6F64971803BA.jpeg

What does it fly like? I always wondered if epp would produce an over weight model for a poly floater.

I had a bedlam which i covered with pro film. It looked quite good and flew well. Although i felt the correx tail was a bit draggy. The wing connection system wasn't very good imho.

• Like 1

The eppisoar weighs in at 3lb 2 oz and seems to float around ok. You do have to let the wing do the work though. Don’t slow it up too much. I also have a Summer Breeze that weighs 2lb 8oz and there isn’t that much difference in soaring performance. The big difference is you try harder for longer with the bouncy model so you learn more about scratching safe in the knowledge that if it does go in you ain’t likely to to break it. 

Hi everybody in lockdown land. 

I have dug out another one for you. This an original PMP Wingbat at 45” span done in solarfilm. Can’t remember when it was built but it must be 25 years old. Originally flown with a dubro mechanical mixer on top of the aileron servo. Worked really well. All done electronically now since the advent of the JR388. 

0B3E63F0-E05D-4918-B584-DA691B694CFB.jpeg

B803A9D0-5DDE-41EF-981D-D3567E68FBD9.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

HMS Dauntless parked at the bottom of our garden this afternoon. Local rumour has it that it’s checking the distances between the folks on the beach:

5922A4BB-BE62-4F79-ACF6-93D16A336E0A.thumb.jpeg.d0f99aa8216ff15f95994c264ee1e38f.jpeg

• Haha 3

Second to last row

Is it done by you as you volunteered by having time left now? They may have heard of your Van refit?

Dauntless.JPG

• Haha 2

Just been out in the back yard flying my little contra rotating indoor helicopter. It's definitely not gliding but at least it is flying, sort of! 😀

Who would have thought that this would be my last flight "for a while"

Turns out the wing was slightly twisted, it needed lots of trim to fly straight. I have since straightened it but not had a chance to test fly it.

The wing is much smaller than a F3F tailplane!

• 3 weeks later...
SilentPilot

Not sure if this belongs here but I didn't really think it worth starting a new thread...

My lad asked me to make a glider from his kit. Not balsa or any type of proper kit, just a kids toy setup where you can build lots of different types. 

I made it but then he said - that's not done, you missed this off it: 

20200510_145454.thumb.jpg.f1957a04c86106bb1329d480c97c3743.jpg

he's obviously paid more attention to my DLGs than I gave him credit for :D

• Haha 2

Went to Eggardon Hill this morning. The slope is about 20 minutes from my house, but I have never been there and found it working really well, so I prefer to go to Wales. Thar’s still not possible, so Eggardon it had to be. Wind was about 4m/s when I arrived, and forecast to drop throughout the morning. I took my Extreme, Ahi and Alula to be flown in that order as the morning progressed. Even though the lift was (as usual) very variable and the air kind of lumpy and turbulent, it was brilliant to be back on a slope again!

ACC9FA96-87AE-42DC-A7AB-B634A546F930.thumb.jpeg.fab9dce1aff4c84048f6cebb5800a166.jpeg

• Like 6

A great evening of summer soaring and thermalling with the local kites. 

Good to be back on the slopes with good company. 

IMG_20200515_1800537.jpg

• Like 3

Splendid afternoon with Pitbull 2 at Thorncombe Beacon. 10m/s SW got the plane going really well even though it is slightly off. There is an advantage on this slope to a bit too much W. It makes the rotor-free landing area bigger. Beautiful weather as the photos attest. First one looking east, second looking west. Fewer walkers around than usual. That’s the SW Coastal Path going up to the Beacon itself.

DB567018-C131-4441-91C7-E9C2F8B8FA92.thumb.jpeg.b6227ca8f83eb2fae78180bcca56a73a.jpeg

EF0D16B9-9BEB-43DC-B028-E5E647E3F4FD.thumb.jpeg.511629d06b9ae49baf544d224b4603c8.jpeg

• Like 5

Getting out at the weekend was cool, flying better, meeting up with flying mates- priceless. 

Great to see that Ian and family are well, but I'm not sure if the Erwin has grown or Ian has shrunk:-)

Ian

IMG_20200517_1507489.jpg