Dear Diary

busterflier

On 15/03/2021 at 10:07, SoggyBoots said:

so after her maiden did she fly as well as your other one?

Well @Andy_B I don't need to wait for your maiden.... I know just how good it flies, absolutely amazingly... Shame I have to give it back 😞

IMG_20210404_115828_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Phil.Taylor
5 minutes ago, mikef said:

?

Nice try - that looks more like one of our chickens has escaped

2 minutes ago, wookman said:

Oh dear Phil. What have you done?

Unpacked the plane - only to find that the wing bolts & allen key were missing 😢

So - the plane in the picture isnt, its back in the bag beside me on the bench - as I quietly contemplate...

Last time out I must have been so happy at a successful maiden flight - that I forgot to safely re-pack the bolts & allen key - now lost forever. I have spares in the workshop - from the Falcon days - nice light aluminum ones - a reminder of the time I left the Falcon wing bolts at the slope - theres a theme here...

Phil.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Phil.Taylor said:

Unpacked the plane - only to find that the wing bolts & allen key were missing 😢

Who's  a silly billy then? On the upside, at least you hadn't driven all the way to Whitesheet.

John Minchell

Time for a check list covering all models or a mini one with each model maybe? 

As well as - sunglasses, goggles, gloves, hat, sandwiches, flask, painkillers etc - you know the drill.

John M

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Minchell said:

Time for a check list covering all models or a mini one with each model maybe? 

As well as - sunglasses, goggles, gloves, hat, sandwiches, flask, painkillers etc - you know the drill.

John M

I've taken to keeping spare wing bolts for most of my planes in my TX case with the tools I use to fasten them. its a nightmare when you turn up and can't fly especially when the slope gods seem to only give you a few hours after work to fly and not the weekends which are usually bad conditions.

Phil.Taylor

Spot the plane - round 2 

Yes - theres definitely a plane in the sky - XPro electric

No forgotten bolts this time.

Phil.

20210416_182620.thumb.jpg.7a1ee7d38b56c89fa24d9ad02b7452be.jpg

Spotted it! Well the white fuselage is recognisable above a curly wisp in the sky centre stage

After playing hunt the allen key too many times, I made a place for an allen key in each model (usually with magnet to secure it), and put a 4" piece of bright coloured insulation tape on each one (so that when you drop it in the grass you can find it). 

• Like 3

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

My friend Pat has wanted to fly since he was a teen but he never had the resources so today I took him out for his first flight on a small slope with a buddybox.

After a quick introduction he was off keeping it level and doing slow passes. We packed up after an hour and fifteen minutes .

IMG_20210421_191808_HDR.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 16/04/2021 at 21:07, Jef Ott said:

After playing hunt the allen key too many times, I made a place for an allen key in each model (usually with magnet to secure it), and put a 4" piece of bright coloured insulation tape on each one (so that when you drop it in the grass you can find it). 

One experience of ‘hunt the car key’ was enough for me. I dropped it in the heather and bilberries on Mickey’s after a comp some years ago. It took Clayton Landells and I a good half hour to find it. Well, more Clayton than me. Since then, I’ve always carried the key to my transport on a brightly coloured lanyard.

• Like 1

Superb day on The Crest yesterday good bunch of mates and wall to wall sunshine (not The Bwlch at all) 40mph on the edge and the video gives an idea of the rotor .Still 8 pilots and nobody really broke anything so whats not to like ...other than Welsh pubs are still closed .....😷

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
Phil.Taylor

This evening didnt quite turn out as planned. After many years of messing things up, I thought I was pretty good at spotting those little things that have big consequences - tonight I'm back at the back of the class after a big lesson in looking out for the tiny little things.

It should have been the maiden flight of the Ecirtech Stellar, after finally finishing the radio installation & setup last night. Plane assembled, power on, controls check - all working & going the right way - motor check - fine. Here goes - half throttle - big chuck - upwards a bit. Plane goes into a diving curve towards the ground before I could get my fingers back on the sticks - crunch. Speechless...

Way off trim? - maybe - but the CofG was ok. Disassemble the broken wing tips - sit down for a think... Power it back up & check elevator position - most definitely some down elevator (see photo) - but not enough to be obvious in the pre-flight check. Savox elevator servo gone bad? - maybe, but they are fine on another plane. Take the wing centre section off - servo centred ok. What else could it be? - then the slow realisation - the locknut on the elevator clevis was loose - which means that - the clevis could jiggle & rotate on the 10 mins walk to the field. So - unlocked lock-nut = broken plane 😢 The ironic thing is that I made sure that all 5 of the other linkages had well locked nuts. The elevator escaped because I cheated & used Tx sub-trim to finally centre it - if I had mechanically centred it I would have locked it tight.

Phil.

with a very sad Stellar

Stellar_broken.thumb.jpg.811a467758c18573db4ac871f5463b0a.jpgStellar_ele_1.thumb.jpg.5b1318d2b2d1ab71b7bc25ccd536f108.jpgStellar_ele_2.thumb.jpg.ae0488e162568ff52ea4ebd35206dd2a.jpg

• Sad 4