busterflier

Dear Diary

pete beadle

Hi Brian

Yes, that's the one

I prefer to use your other design, the Alacrity, at Barnet, for me it's the perfect size. You may remember, it's the one I bought from Rod Potts 2 - 3 years ago, but  I've never really not got the hang of the "ruddervators" it's fitted with. So, I thought I'd try one of your other designs, the Trilogy, to see if the rudder/elevator arrangement on that did actually feel any better in use, and d'you know, for me, it really does. The Trilogy cross-tail is agile (or is it nimble?) and the control is consistent and smooth, plus it's the same size as the Alactrity.....plus, plus. plus!:yes:

The thing to do now, I suppose,  would be to find another Brian Austin design of 100" - 120" with built-up structure and a cross-tail, which would be perfect for the job......any suggestions Bri? Seems to me to be the perfect intermediate plane between the R/E 2M or 100," and the full-house 3.5 - 4.0 metre ultralite,........because your designs are certainly light, and strong, Mr Austin:) - Anyone got one that might be for sale that meets my spec out there? Oh, and definitely NOT moulded.....

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

Alacrity at Barnet 27th Dec 2018 006.JPG

SilentPilot

I’ve still got that Claymore F5j
Not had chance to build it up yet though... I think I made a mistake buying it, I’ll never get the time to fit it out :( 

Skip

Dear diary. Today I have been printing and cutting stensils for my custom paint design for my gliders.

I'm hoping to have both my racers ready for next weekend although have run into a little snag regarding supply of electricity to my garage. ... The previous owner had attached a multistrand cable to the back of a socket in the kitchen and run it to the garage. That cable had enough yesterday and is no longer attached to the socket... the 80s must have been a wonderful time to be a cowb..... I mean electrician.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Skip

20190212_141748.thumb.jpg.51d7ac2d568f4663c4385eb67824b550.jpg

What do you think? Should look ok at a distance 😊

Would look better with clear over it and a shine, loathed to add that much weight.

• Like 3

isoaritfirst

Shame its not stick on letters - we could have had so much fun!

• Haha 3

pete beadle

Hi all

First visit to Ivinghoe on a flyable day........Amazingly the weather forecast was so varied I took a lightweight Radian for the predicted 6 mph winds reducing in the PM to NIL and my Eliminator 134 to cope with the predicted 16 -20 MPH gusts........

Played around among a half-dozen Red Kites as they pointed out the light lift drifting through, and tried to stay out of the direct sunlight as much as possible to reduce the sun's effects - didn't work very well as lashings of AfterSun were needed by about five PM

David Woods turned up quite miffed as he had two kilos of freshly made ballast slugs "just in case" and didn't use any of it in the light conditions

Lovely day though, reminded me what I was usually missing in the Winter months.....roll on Spring!:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Ivinghoe 14th Feb 2019 002.JPG

• Like 3

Phil.Taylor

Rare combination of a light southerly wind with sunshine & blue skies this afternoon - almost perfect for the maiden flight of the XPerience Pro - except for the low seamist/cloud/clag forming just above the slope. XPro flies great - does what I hoped it would - soars beautifully, but it can also get some speed on & is quite agile. Video to follow when I get round to editing it.

Phil.

XPro_maiden.thumb.jpg.425135132c4c7b66181be49df6069828.jpg

• Like 2

wookman

Lovely Phil.

SilentPilot
22 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Played around among a half-dozen Red Kites as they pointed out the light lift drifting through

Maybe the same two we saw!

I’ve yet to thermal with Kites (I’ve thermalled with Buzzards while in my glider but that’s a completely different thing!) I do have either a DLG or bungee launched Radian with me in the car but I just never have spotted them when I’ve had the time to launch something.

Hopefully soon though :) 

• Like 1

Phil.Taylor

XPro video up on the slope videos thread

Phil.

paulj

After 18 years, the Pike is finally back in the air (you may remember the tail mount repair I detailed in another thread)! Following an incident with the Eliminator 60" at the Orm, I had nothing else to fly off the slope in yesterday's conditions, so no more excuses. Sadly this photo is taken in the car park before disassembly, rather than on top of Moel Famau flying with the two full size gliders enjoying the ridge. Regarding the two full size, one of them had a strobe fitted to the nose - not something I have seen during the time I used to fly full size, but useful for visibility in the low contrast conditions we had yesterday.

Pike.JPG

SilentPilot

Our K-21 has a nose strobe.
It seems to have lenses fitted though, its great used as a landing light but not much good for all-round visibility.

• Like 1