Dear Diary

busterflier

Hi Mike and Graham

Oddly enough, the other day, I was looking out some papers (intending to write a short article for the ISA Beacon) about a chap who bought himself an almost conical "hill" that used to be a rubbish tip....not wooden, I agree, but the right shape and the right height for lightweight models - preferably wooden:thumbsup:

When I find the papers I'll post them here, if there's any interest in buying your/our very own hill, that is...

I remember the article about the "rubbish" hill was written about ten years ago, not for a model flyer, unfortunately, but I remember he got it very cheap and was intending to grass it, what for, I can't remember either....but I'll keep looking:yes::)

Wooden that be nice?

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

I proposed some time ago that a canvas slope would be a fine addition to the facilities at the BMFA centre at Buckminster. Met with no enthusiasm at all, while they were busy apparently spending money on tethered car racing!

• Like 2

Hi OPF

I understand that the "tethered boys" paid for all of this equipment themselves. An article to this effect is due to be included in the next BMFA News, I believe:yes::)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

23 hours ago, pete beadle said:

....I understand that the "tethered boys" paid for all of this equipment themselves. An article to this effect is due to be included in the next BMFA News, I believe:yes::)........

Just stumbled across the reason that tethered car racing and aero modelling got linked during WW2.  I have been going through wartime Aeromodeller magazines, preparing some for sale.  I had noticed several model car articles but not realised, until now, how these came to be in Aeromodeller.  I knew there was a ban on engine powered model aircraft in the war but I hadn't connected the cars and the ban until now....

From the December 1944 Aeromodeller under one of those amazing C Rupert Moore painting covers.

36706C61-6E76-406C-85C3-D8802B6A0236.jpeg

431C1E8D-57E5-4348-A442-50F0BF444B65.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Little slopes as in the vid can work great, but do need a very clean run for the approaching wind. 
mice not been to hq so don’t know if it has that or not.

if it has, then a few scaffold poles, some wheels and sheets should do the trick with very small outlay. 

On 02/09/2020 at 16:59, pete beadle said:

Hi OPF

I understand that the "tethered boys" paid for all of this equipment themselves. An article to this effect is due to be included in the next BMFA News, I believe:yes::)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Whoever paid for the equipment, the space that it uses has been paid for by BMFA members.

4 hours ago, oipigface said:

Whoever paid for the equipment, the space that it uses has been paid for by BMFA members.

Hi OPF

I don't really understand why this is an issue but, if this is a genuine concern to other BMFA members,  all that's needed is to attach a note to the accounts stating that the charge(s) for the space it uses will be offset by the increase in the asset value it provides

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

I was out in the garden rubbing down the epoxy finish on floats when I heard the unmistakeable sound of a Merlin engine approaching from the east. The Spitfire soon came into view, did a loop above the lawn, then a roll as it headed off westwards.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...