Dear Diary

busterflier

23 minutes ago, Ian F3F said:

looks like the left wing

HaHa

"Right wing blamed for left wing smear - commentators expect further details later..."

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Lockdown exercise this pm - 40mph blast on Beer Head south cliff - fully ballasted T-Masterpiece - ballistic !

couple of video stills (edit will take a while - onboard footage too)

Phil.

Beer_3.thumb.jpg.0aac6211c2dd5274402967f1121d7c3c.jpgBeer_4.thumb.jpg.761654472188f65d75a4721b68c5f84f.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So good to see so many pilots at whitesheet today. A dozen or more all fighting off the cold and showing that the club is alive and thriving. 

Sorry, I forgot about taking pictures but I think just about everyone was flying a moldie. Times have changed on the hills, but not enough to keep the phase 6's out of the air completely. 

The best alternative to Christmas shopping

• Like 2

Am I allowed a moan here? Had some bad luck this afternoon. I've been having a ball refining the set up and practicing two or three times a week on Crook Peak geting ready for the next race. The Jedi has been getting better and better and my flying also. I've found it will soar in a breath and scream nicely too but three minutes into beating the ridge today, it decided to pitch 90deg straight down. It went in nose first right in front of me from about fifteen feet. I haven't worked out why yet, it was as though I had pushed, so perhaps ele.

Anyway, left wing in half, nose broken in three places and tail joiner broken. Tails themselves are alright of course because I have a spare pair. Right wing and joiner are fine. I can put photos up but they are a bit gory.  I haven't examined it all closely yet but the wing anyway is probably beyond my ability to repair, so please, does anyone have a usable, spare Jedi left wing for appropriate money? Also tail joiner needed. Boo hoo.

Thanks Phil, flew a plank straight after with no problem and servos were still buzzing at the time but will investigate. Edit: Rx and fuse servos seem to still work fine.

Cant tell you why it happened Les, I just don't know. The installation is the best I have had and since I fitted the replacement G-rx8 I've had not a single hiccup or warning in something like 40 flights. Also all was fine when checked and flown two days earlier. 

Ouch Bruce. That looks pretty horrible. I can kind of hear the noise it made in my minds ear and it doesn't sound good!

The fus doesn't look to bad. At least it's all in the decorative bit on the front and the boom is good.

That wing does look a bit of a mess but https://sites.google.com/site/sloperacing/home/test is a link to the similar repair that George Young did on my Extreme. Worth a look.

Might be worth chatting to Clayton too because his Pike came to him needing the same repair. It can be done.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wookman said:

Ouch Bruce. That looks pretty horrible. I can kind of hear the noise it made in my minds ear and it doesn't sound good!

The fus doesn't look to bad. At least it's all in the decorative bit on the front and the boom is good.

That wing does look a bit of a mess but https://sites.google.com/site/sloperacing/home/test is a link to the similar repair that George Young did on my Extreme. Worth a look.

Might be worth chatting to Clayton too because his Pike came to him needing the same repair. It can be done.

Thanks Graham, I hadn't seen that site and the repair report might inspire. Still a slim chance that someone has an odd Jedi left wing. I have ordered a tail joiner and asked Baudis the price of a wing and fuse. The reply will probably get me mixing epoxy! 

Terribly sad, sorry Bruce.

Can I ask what firmware update you were on, had you updated tx and rx firmware to 2.1.1 or 2.1.2?

If not, it sounds horribly like the pre-2020 glitch of very rare but documented sudden full servo deflectionūüėį

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, William said:

Terribly sad, sorry Bruce.

Can I ask what firmware update you were on, had you updated tx and rx firmware to 2.1.1 or 2.1.2?

If not, it sounds horribly like the pre-2020 glitch of very rare but documented sudden full servo deflectionūüėį

Thanks William. That's interesting, I'd not heard of a pre 2020 glitch. Tx is on 2.3.10 BUT I did not think to update the new Rx. I thought it was behaving perfectly but ... hmm. I do have a GPS sitting above the Grx8 but no problem with range tests and all was behaving.

exactly why I would never use FrSky ...............I lost 2 planes in as many months to phantom loss of control both within sight of me .Not had any issues with the MPX or Graupner stuff 

Sorry to see this Bruce 

Andy

• Like 4