Dear Diary

busterflier

Phil.Taylor
4 hours ago, Jef Ott said:

That's the sort of thing I was thinking might be the deeper problem, but I'm struggling to understand at what stage the subtrim was adjusted - if it was before the walk, it served no purpose if the tailplane was then removed and refitted (obviously any lack of rigidity in the tailplane mounting, or unrepeatability of its location will hugely affect the elevator trim). And what about the other end of the pushrod - is that lock-nutted, or free to rotate?

If the subtrim adjustment was after the walk, the relative position of the clevis on the pushrod would be irrelevant, unless it was actually nearly falling off the pushrod and giving an unacceptable amount of flex.

Only trying to help, but I think I sensed a little negativity in Phil's response, so I am not going to say any more on this subject now, other than to wish him luck again.

Jef 

Jef - thanks for trying to help - but you're way over-thinking it - it was really simple stuff - goes like this...

Spent an evening setting up the plane on the Tx - all the throws, centres, mixing etc. Wing first - its the fancy mixing bit - mechanically adjusting the pushod clevises as close to centres as possible, tweak with subtrim , then carefully lock-nut the wing pushrods. Fus next - rudder, then lastly the elevator - getting late at night by this time... elevator was close to centred so just adjusted the subtrim, not mechanically with the clevis - very late, very happy - took the tailplane off - finished the beer & went to bed happy, dreaming of soaring... (now what did I just forget? - yep - forgot to lock-nut the elevator clevis)

Next evening - soaring dreams shattered cos the tail was off-trim - enough to cause a problem, but not enough to be immediately obvious on a preflight "is everything going the right way" check. (Moral of the story - lock-nut EVERY clevis - even if its late at night !!!

FYI - The other ends of the rudder & elevator pushrods are solidly epoxied into the carbon pushrods

Phil.

• Like 1

wookman

You have taken the Orange bits off! I knew you didn't like Orange!

Phil.Taylor

50 years of slope soaring in one evening 🙂

Graupner Foka vs. Freestyler 4.3

Phil.

Foka_Musbury.thumb.jpg.ee2ead891d18c793b1b73ef454e37030.jpgFS4-3_Musbury.thumb.jpg.ed738d559e6024e5d3c71d86b0fe88af.jpg

• Like 3

Had a great day down on the Wrecker 7-10m/s all day no rain and even some sunshine later on 

C9245529-A70C-4FF8-97F7-3B245FA3AEA2.jpeg

• Like 7

Jef Ott
1 hour ago, Andy_B said:

9FB614A1-1CE5-4ADE-87A6-4A079165C8EF.jpeg

Absolutely iconic photo. Everyone that has flown the Wrecker will instantly recognise this. Great memories of a time I had to go to Wales (250miles each way) regularly to get disciplined, when working for a guy that didn't like me. :)

2 hours ago, Andy_B said:

Had a great day down on the Wrecker 7-10m/s all day no rain and even some sunshine later on 

C9245529-A70C-4FF8-97F7-3B245FA3AEA2.jpeg

Brilliant end to a great days flying on the Wrecker and VR Slopes 

• 3 weeks later...
Phil.Taylor

Gotta love a bit of summer evening soaring - 12-15mph & big thermals on a local Devon slope - lovely !

Phil.

Dumpdon_summer.thumb.jpg.4f04551508cbafe1f35ae87edbe0fc52.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
oipigface

Spent yesterday pm and today at the Bwlch. Setting up and practising. The significant news is that I managed not to break anything!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oipigface said:

Spent yesterday pm and today at the Bwlch. Setting up and practising. The significant news is that I managed not to break anything!

Did you forget anything 

• Haha 1

Good stuff John

and nice to see no stuff was involved 

Hopefully the start of a much better spell for you. 

Had a great morning with Ian on the mynd  this morning ,better air than expected to be honest and his 100 inch Falcon flew really well .

8D0D774F-A630-4CC5-B507-E200C981FA8B.jpeg

• Like 2

Just back after a long day.  Great company and an excellent day to be on the slope.  I think I've just about got that set up right and I even got brownie points for the trip to Lilieshall!

Ian

• 4 weeks later...
Phil.Taylor

Ecirtech Stellar finally flies !

Goes up quick, comes down slow, floats about nicely. Handled well when I remembered to switch in the coupled rudder.

Looked pretty in the air with the red, white & blue highlighted by the low evening sun against a blue sky.

Not all 100% happy though - needed a large amount of aileron & rudder trim to fly straight - there's a warp(s) in the wing to sort out - the joys of someone else's build

Phil.

Stellar_maiden.thumb.jpg.563524538523e121799aced57602d47b.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Phil.Taylor said:

Handled well when I remembered to switch in the coupled rudder.

That is what you have a left thumb for Phil!

Lovely looking plane, love the geodetic structure of the tip panels.

• 4 weeks later...

A great days flying on Micky's yesterday.  The pass didn't quite work out for the race and it's not often I get up there with the slope dog for a sports fly- well worth the millage.  10-15mph squaring up on Micky's in sunshine.  Playing with the Harrier set up and CG but simply having a ball with the Falcon- for pure fun you have to go a long way to beat 100 inch models!- just look at the excitement on Slope dog's face😀

poppy.thumb.jpg.3555555dc2967797501c4510ed2f8a40.jpg

falcon.thumb.jpg.a79e1026100cbdcbbab1d49876efde3c.jpg

harrier.thumb.jpg.2d757c99f2aa519bdb8ef129155d4424.jpg

• Like 1