isoaritfirst

isoaritfirst

Well it's started and it's started well.

Spent a few very very nice hours with Vic and Silv last night before jumping on the overnight ferry to Le Harve.

Millpond --

Great drive down through France today, wall to wall sunshine, up to 20degrees, no traffic, no hassle and the last hour or so though the Midi Pyrennes was simply stunning.

If you drew a perfect hansell & grettle cottage thats where we are staying. The Owner lives next door in and has an easy glider in the barn and wants some help getting it to fly.

There will be no problem launching from the house and even slopeing if the wind turns a little.

I will post a few pics in the next few days. Tomorrow its an hours drive to Panat to take part in the 2 day French Championship F3f being organised by Andreas Fricke.

He normally does a great job so I am looking forward to a good few days.

Sounds idilic - I have some plans to get in some F5J action this year in Europe, will see if it comes off or not though!..

Looking forward to the pics... best of luck :)

isoaritfirst

We had a lack of wind over the weekend , but with constant sunshine and deep valleys we had some great thermals to fly in. The wind speed rarely reached legal competition levels. Alexi has a plan for such days though, A sort of F3b on the slope. Launch fly and land exactly at 3 minutes, over or under costs you points, land on the marker, again points are added for every Mtr off the cross. Also within your 3 minutes you must fly 4 legs of the timed F3f course. Lots of fun and a great way of using such nice flying but hopeless F3f conditions.

At the end of seveeral round some on Saturday and some Sunday I finished 5th flying the Sigma, I really could have done with some ballast onboard but left it at home, so my speed runs suffered a little.

We did manage to run the F3f as well where I finishe 8th, Allen Cohen won with Jean-luc second and CedricG third.

Lots of fun, 5 euro entry fee and a Marque, morning coffee, apperetife of wine, snacks juices etc followed by a barbecue at lunch time and a bottle of wine to all competitors and tee shirts and trophies to the top 3.

Pretty dam hospitable.

The plan is to use the same slope and format next year and Andreas would like to invite a few more of you over to join in the fun.

My internet connection is very slow so you will have to wait a while for the pics.

Having a trip out to see the Millau bridge tomorrow, it's about 1 hour away, You may remember it from a Top Gear drive. Classed as the world's largest work of art.

• Like 1

isoaritfirst

The bridge is amazing, and made all the better by the are in which it sits. The Targ Valley and gorges are truly spectacular, Millau itself sits surrounded by very high cliffs and meadow land, the bridge stantions rise out of vivid green pastures and the fast flowing river |Tarn.

At first sight the bridge is very sensual in its design, Tall thin elegant support towers run in line along its length and the support cables glisten in the sun looking like sails of a an old ocean going tall ship.

It takes a while before you can appreciate the size of the bridge as the grandeur of the surrounding tend to disguise its size. It is taller than the Eiffel tower.

The design was Ok'd in 2000 and it was open in 2004 pretty impressive stuff. This area is well worth a look - It has a lot on offer and I suspect often overlooked as a holiday destination.

busterflier

Sounds brilliant Mike.On the other hand you are missing our lovely weather,a nice steady drizzle as I look out of the window.Still you can't have everything............ :D

See you soon.

Sounds good so far Mike. I really like Alexis' what to do if there is no wind idea :cool:

Pretty sure that bridge was designed by some British guy who is into full size gliders... I love the way the French do their 'grand projects'

The bridge is amazing, and made all the better by the are in which it sits. The Targ Valley and gorges are truly spectacular, Millau itself sits surrounded by very high cliffs and meadow land, the bridge stantions rise out of vivid green pastures and the fast flowing river |Tarn.

At first sight the bridge is very sensual in its design, Tall thin elegant support towers run in line along its length and the support cables glisten in the sun looking like sails of a an old ocean going tall ship.

It takes a while before you can appreciate the size of the bridge as the grandeur of the surrounding tend to disguise its size. It is taller than the Eiffel tower.

The design was Ok'd in 2000 and it was open in 2004 pretty impressive stuff. This area is well worth a look - It has a lot on offer and I suspect often overlooked as a holiday destination.

any pics mike?

Gonesoaring2003

'Some British guy…" excellent.

That'll be Norman 'wobbly bridge' Foster.

That'll be LORD Norman Foster! :D

isoaritfirst

Been out to Conques today, Built into the sude of a very steep hill the site is a very old Pilgrim stop over. It is very old very special and very interesting, A little like Carcossone which is a few miles south of here, but smaller and based around a monestry rather than a castle. Like Carcossone its is still a lived in village and although a tourist area it is nicely done and very "real".

Check out on the web if you are interested as with the bridge - I may be able to post a few pics tomorrow, when we arrive at the Tryp hotel in Guadalajara (1 hour from Madrid) and 30minutes from La Muela Slope. So come Thursday it will be non stop flying for a few days (weather permitting) Comp is Friday/Saturday.

It has rained today, and a fair bit colder, but the quite mist that settles around the deep valleys and rivers of this area seems right, and has added a different perspective to the area. Nice for one day, but glad it didn't do it earlier.

busterflier

That'll be LORD Norman Foster! :D

Lord Foster?I thought it was Doctor Foster,who soared in Gloster,

in a shower of rain,

his transmitter got soaked,

his glider got broked,

and he never tried soaring again.

Copyright Dave Reader,april 2012.(well you never know there might be a talent scout on the forum)............ :rolleyes:

isoaritfirst

Moved down to the Tryp Hotel in Guadalajara today. Its a long drive but the roads are a lot easier than the UK, there is so little traffic.

Stopped for a break at the Monisterio de Piedra, about 50miles south of Zaragosa. Andreas had recommended it to us as a good place to stop.

The monestery is in very large grounds that have been transformed over many years into a very unusual park which is full of waterfalls, deep canyons and some amazing walkways up and down and through the rocks. It took us over 2 hours to walk around the waymarked path, and parts of it could have been of an Indiana Jones film set, very strange, very interesting and very spectacular.

busterflier

Mike,you should have invited me along,then it would have taken over 4 hours to walk round.(have I mentioned my poorly knee recently?)............. :rolleyes:

isoaritfirst

Yesterday On La Muela was cold and changeable but had some great flying at times. From being at the limit of flying my Easy Glider - which is just how I like it, to screaming around with my Cyril and also landing at the far side of the cement works in Vics landing spot (from previous years) with the Sigma. Good landing despite having to be directed by Pierre who was watching through his telephoto lens!

Today the hill was covered in snow!. Temperature was 2.5degrees and it felt colder!.

The hill is over 1000mtrs high (I believe) so it can get very cold. But the sun did come out between the occasional shower and we had a great day with 7.5 rounds flown I think. Did ok in most of them and was running 5th last time I checked - although I think my last two rounds will have damaged that.

Sun is due to shine tomorrow.

• Like 2

isoaritfirst

Only had one good round today where i finished 3rd, every other one was pretty disastrous, Fastest thing on the slope was my movement down the rankings. Ended up 18th - just as well I did have a better day on Friday.

But a good day with lots of flying and great company, so no complaints, lots of rounds flown and Pierre won and deservedly so.

Best La Muela Comp I have attended, two days flying from 10.00am to 7.00pm each day with only a few minutes lost to weather breaks - cant be bad.

Lots of thanks to Miguel and all his helpers for a well run comp.

• Like 1