Needle Dsl

Mr Ed

I don't have the space luxury for a high start so I reckon I'll fit a catapult launch tube in the nose. It has the benefit of being capable of being retrofitted so no need to commit yet.

jiberjaber

Not come across that glue before Thuro, is it just 5/30min epoxy?

I have ordered some Kevlar aramid tape (50mm wide) some peelply and some cotton flock so I can repair the fus internaly and make a better job of fixing in the servo tray :)

I might add some carbon tow in there too, will ponder on my way to the market at lunch time to buy a bike inner tube :)

Not come across that glue before Thuro, is it just 5/30min epoxy?

Hi, no its a longer one, 24 h by 20°C and faster with more temperature but the best whaht you can get.

I tried to remove a servo sheet but I can't do it without a totally damage.

All what needs a tighten connection should be glued with this Epoxy.

Thats exactly what you need http://www.modelshopleeds.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2701

C.

Thuro

jiberjaber

Thats similar to what I used, a 24hr laminating epoxy, I think it was the micro baloons which probably attributed to the shearing of the wall of the fus.

Cotton flock ordered so should provide a less brittle bond...

I suspect the UHU epoxy glue Thuro is referring isn't a laminating epoxy..

Its more a metall, GFK, wood glue but it even dissolves a bit the laminate and therefore you get the best connection.

I dont know a better one.

Cheers

Thuro

HI Thuro

My fuselage is finished but on the wing I am finding that using your linkages means I need to make a bigger hole in the wing skin for clearance than I would like. It seems more of a cut away than with the original Needle that seemed to have smaller lever.

Do you have any photos of a DSL flap lever so I can compare?

John

jiberjaber

Well finished off the Needle this weekend. For the first time I used some peelply and it worked out really well. I also added some carbon tow around the opening. A session with a newly made bladder and it was ready to add the servo tray... plenty of laminating epoxy and cotton flock and left over night.

DSC_2187.jpg

DSC_2185.jpg

After fitting it all back in I re-did the wing servo connector thinking it had failed only to discover it was teh DS095 that was dead, on inspection it was the fets which blown and also the motor... replacing the motor and control board from another faulty pot one fixed all that.... finaly got it balanced at 87 (86 with the bar ballast added) and took it to the field to stick it up the bungee to see how it went....

I have to say.. I fell in love again with it. I totaly forgot I was on a flat field and pulled a few too many loops too close to the ground... got away with them but wouldnt have planned to do them!.... looking forward to getting on a slope again soon!

needleontheline.jpg

needlelowandfast.jpg

Thuro... I must say though, the old metal canopy retainer is better than the current carbon one :)

HI Thuro

My fuselage is finished but on the wing I am finding that using your linkages means I need to make a bigger hole in the wing skin for clearance than I would like. It seems more of a cut away than with the original Needle that seemed to have smaller lever.

John

Hi John

Which GFK horns do you use? I suggest the shorter ones but then there is no change between the old and the current lever's.

May be I dont know what you mean?

@Jiberjaber

Hi, You should use a transparent shrinking tube to secure the canopy. It save's against scratches too ;) .

The good old error with DS095. This servo is too weak on electronics I found out. Better the DS 6125 from MKS with SBEC even though we had some burned down pieces too. I'm not happy with both but I dont know if you can get a alternative servo.

Btw.: we changed to Carbon because if the metall rod is bended then you couldn't rebend it.

Cheers

Thuro

Thuro - do you have a photo which shows the clear heatshrink in position? I saw that in your instructions, but I couldn't understand exactly how it is applied.

Thanks,

Simon

I have to say.. I fell in love again with it. I totaly forgot I was on a flat field and pulled a few too many loops too close to the ground... got away with them but wouldnt have planned to do them!.... looking forward to getting on a slope again soon!

Nice graphics mate, a lovely looking plane.

• Like 1

Hi Thuro

I am using the short horns but I can't remember how much I cut away on my old wings. Maybe the horn sits further forward because the flap wing skin is thicker. I shall just carry on with it. Maybe maiden this weekend.

jiberjaber

Hi, You should use a transparent shrinking tube to secure the canopy. It save's against scratches too ;) .

The good old error with DS095. This servo is too weak on electronics I found out. Better the DS 6125 from MKS with SBEC even though we had some burned down pieces too. I'm not happy with both but I dont know if you can get a alternative servo.

Btw.: we changed to Carbon because if the metall rod is bended then you couldn't rebend it.

Cheers

Thuro

Hmmm yes, the DS095 hasnt been a good servo, when it works it is, when it doesnt... well! I have MKS6125s but I dont really want to hack off the lugs to fit them in...

The metal rod is better then the carbon, both will need a fair bit of work to replace, but at least the metal one doesnt snap :) I'll get round to fixing the carbon one some time this weekend :)

Simon, if you look closely this Ava has a heatshrink application to make sure the canopy doesnt come of and be lost... it didnt stop the glider from being lost unfortunatly ;)

IMG_20110513_203259.jpg

And also on this Xplorer

DSC_7712.jpg

HI Thuro

John

HI Thuro, I found out what the problem was. The skins on the aileron and flap are so thick with carbon ( a good thing!) that the CNC tapered surface horns are pushed too far forward and also a bit under 1mm too high. Some sanding and all is OK.

All looking good now.

• 3 weeks later...
paul garnett

Excellent days f3f practice with the Needle 100, really starting to show its colours now with a suprisingly soft set up (well for me anyway!!)...

I have been working on a slightly different technique which seems to be paying dividends now, giving far more consistant times in variable types of air, now it maybe an optical illusion, but it seems to really accelerate out of the turns, it certainly doesnt seem to be loosing any speed...

some pilots have said its because of its SMALL size that makes it look fast, its not, it IS fast..

laters

Presenting the model to the bases above the ridge line also helped, you sure were nailing the bases well yesterday ;)

No doubt about the pace Paul - the size does make it look even faster, but it is quick, and clearly a good F3F model! Felt really good on the sticks too - thx :)