Willow elevator help please

nucleardwarf

nucleardwarf

Hi all,

The hinge on one side of the V-tail elevator has split away completely (some silly twonker wacked his model into it while parked on the ground)

Any ideas how to effect a good repair?

Thanks,

Buy something called geocel fish tank sealant (small tube).

Tape the surface with diamond tape or similar - i.e a temporary hinge.

Open out the control surface and apply a thin bead of the silicone - say 1-2mm using the applicator. Gentle smear into gap with something like a small flat head screw driver (or similar - finger will be too big in a v-tail). If necessary.

close back control surface (leave hinge tape in place). Tape control surface to neutral.

leave to dry

remove temporary hinge tape.

in terms of getting the stuff in to the gap between the tail and the control surface, you need to judge it a bit. Usually is it has already had a hinge that has split it will want to sit together nicely anyway - shouldn't be too hard.

• Like 1

nucleardwarf

Buy something called geocel fish tank sealant (small tube).

Tape the surface with diamond tape or similar - i.e a temporary hinge.

Open out the control surface and apply a thin bead of the silicone - say 1-2mm using the applicator. Gentle smear into gap with something like a small flat head screw driver (or similar - finger will be too big in a v-tail). If necessary.

close back control surface (leave hinge tape in place). Tape control surface to neutral.

leave to dry

remove temporary hinge tape.

in terms of getting the stuff in to the gap between the tail and the control surface, you need to judge it a bit. Usually is it has already had a hinge that has split it will want to sit together nicely anyway - shouldn't be too hard.

Thank you very much for the tip Satinet.

I have applied the silicon as suggested, taped the elevator to neutral and am eagerly awaiting it to dry!

Superb assistance!

You can always leave diamond tape as well as the Silicon Mark ,

but if you do remove the tape make sure the Silicon has cured completely ,

or the tape takes the silicon with it , not gonna tell you how i found out :censored: .

Tony Fu gave me this same advice for the rudder on my Typhoon , certainly is stronger than you would think .

Good luck mate , but dont take the tape off too soon , or you will be doing it again as i did . :mad:

Bob

• Like 1

nucleardwarf

Thanks to all got your assistance.

Just one more query on this, can diamond tape be added over the top of the silicon when it has cured for additional strengthening?

I replaced a complete Flap on my Furio with Geo cell almost 2 yrs ago, I havent had to touch it since. No diamond tape.

I'm sure you'l be very surprised just how strong / good your Willow elevator is. You'l forget you ever damaged it :)

• Like 1

nucleardwarf

A note of thanks to you gentlemen, the suggested repair has been a total success! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Re-maidened the Willow at the Bwlch today after completing the job to the elevator and it's excellent.

Thanks. :)

• Like 1