guy mckenzie

Cotswolds Slopers

GordonP

I was there as well, along with Phil (flat batteries) Fridge! Gave the Widthing and VoltiJ an airing. I decided to call it a day when the cows started moving in. :)

Bobbyr

Bear , The Nose is a solid lump of Balsa if i remember correctly.

Easy Mend , you could

A , cut away broken bits , and fill the crush area with a good filler - sand to shape and cover , then remove some of your weight in the nose to make sure CoG is spot on .

B, cut the old block where its not smashed , and glue on a new block of hard balsa , shape and cover . check CoG

Bob

Big Bear

Bear , The Nose is a solid lump of Balsa if i remember correctly.

Easy Mend , you could

A , cut away broken bits , and fill the crush area with a good filler - sand to shape and cover , then remove some of your weight in the nose to make sure CoG is spot on .

B, cut the old block where its not smashed , and glue on a new block of hard balsa , shape and cover . check CoG

Bob

Thanks buddy I'll see if I can get a balsa block from Antics in the morning

Yoyo

Hi Guy and Guys!

Just to let you know I've found you all, and I haven't actually given up flying even though it does feel like it...

I've finally got my workshop built, the roof sheets are going on this weekend in place of the tarpaulin that's been semi-waterproofing it for a week or two. Then I can put some benches up (I have some old fire doors that just need legs - 2" thick solid timber makes for a nice workbench, at under a tenner each off EBay).

Then I can start fixing stuff and maybe even go flying again sometime!

• Like 1

guy mckenzie

Hi Paul,

We were wondering where you had got to the other day!

See you on the slope soon.

Guy

Fridge

Some photos from Friday

Phil

http://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-2157-0-77419300-1345279990.jpghttp://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-2157-0-40956900-1345280009.jpghttp://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-2157-0-14591100-1345280021.jpghttp://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-2157-0-21603200-1345280026.jpg

GordonP

See if you can spot what's wrong with my VoltiJ (3rd photo).

Gromit

See if you can spot what's wrong with my VoltiJ (3rd photo).

Tailplane fitted upside down ?

Big Bear

Anyone out this afternoon?

Meltdown

Anyone heading to Frocester this afternoon?

GordonP

Tailplane fitted upside down ?

Well spotted! As it is symmetrical, it didn't make any difference. :o

Meltdown

Why did Adam's post only appear after I'd added mine? Anyway, yes. It looks on for Frocester.

John

Big Bear

Why did Adam's post only appear after I'd added mine? Anyway, yes. It looks on for Frocester.

John

Won't be up till about 4 now!!! Missis has clobbered me with some chores!!

guy mckenzie

I'll be there just after 2pm

Guy

Big Bear

I'll be there just after 2pm

Guy

Sorry I missed you Guy!! Think you just left as I arrived.

guy mckenzie

Adam,

It occured to me that it might have been you as I arrived back at my car. I was going to do a U turn but had promised to be home for summit or other. I hope you had a good fly with your Weasel..

Next time! I still have the 8 inch bands for you but I am sure they are too big..

My wife was sent to Antics and my written note to them said 'bands for an 8 inch cord wing.' So they sold her 8 inch bands.

Big Bear

Adam,

It occured to me that it might have been you as I arrived back at my car. I was going to do a U turn but had promised to be home for summit or other. I hope you had a good fly with your Weasel..

Next time! I still have the 8 inch bands for you but I am sure they are too big..

My wife was sent to Antics and my written note to them said 'bands for an 8 inch cord wing.' So they sold her 8 inch bands.

Haha that sums Antics up!!! Not sure how they can make any money!!

guy mckenzie

I was spotting lift yesterday when I watched a group of crows (or rooks or...) going up in a thermal. They were high but I clearly saw two of them perform half rolls, once twice and three times or more. My more learned pal (Meltdown - no he doesn't glow) explained to me that it was a RAVEN!! The only bird that rolls...

I thought I had to go to the Tower in London to see such beasties. What that and Red Kites it's all going on up there in the Cotswolds skies, amongst our soarers.

Yoyo

I was spotting lift yesterday when I watched a group of crows (or rooks or...) going up in a thermal. They were high but I clearly saw two of them perform half rolls, once twice and three times or more. My more learned pal (Meltdown - no he doesn't glow) explained to me that it was a RAVEN!! The only bird that rolls...

Maybe so, but I've definitely seen small hawks (kestrels?) doing axial rolls in the slope lift at Leckhampton - possibly because it was a windy and turbulent day, but even so...

And then there's this:

article-1184566-0500C7A0000005DC-57_634x

(Full article here)

Meltdown

My bird book says ravens 'uniquely' perform rolls (don't know how accurate my bird book is): something about courtship, aka showing off. Ravens also make an odd noise like a pig grunting or a burp so they are easily distinguished from crows if you hear them. Buzzards do impressive VNE dives and pull ups and stall turns, and I guess other birds will do aerobatics too, but perhaps not deliberately, like Yoyo's goose in the turbulence.