Moulded JW 60

Rooster-X

isoaritfirst

I did like the idea of a moulded JW. But it would need to be around £200 so that they become disposable/quick to build etc. Converted price = £280 but import/delivery etc will knock that up unless someone like Rich starts bringing them in.

Possibly they have made it too nice, Could fancy one though, it does look very pretty.

The cost of my foam one (before electrics) probably comes out around £200 with all the glues and coverings etc.

I also think that they should have included the front of the under belly pan - back to the wing screw into the main fuselage. That extra fixing would add a lot to the nose strength, which currently looks a bit feeble (although I'm sure its layup is pretty thick to put the strength back.)

Time will tell -

The way planks normally "land" (I'm using the term in it's loosest sense here), one wonders about the wisdom of this. Still, as Mike says, it does look killer, and will undoubtedly fly well..

So Zim has been mentioned as UK distributor, so I guess Sloperacer will be stocking them. Any news yet Tony on price or expected delivery?

Cheers

Tom

• 1 month later...

I rmember Zim agreed to be distributor for the molded JW when he was SlopeRacer. it was done away from my eyes so no idea if tony has the rights of if they went the same way as the Dynamics.

Ian

You don't remember me telling you about it Ian? :)

Anyway, yes, of course they will be coming through Tony and Sloperacer, as the Dynamics are. I'm still involved with the Dynamics as I've formed a friendship with Joe over the years and it takes one thing off Tony's to do list! Similar with the JWs. Incidentially got a new shipment of them due soon with all the new colours etc available, so I'm sure Tony will announce it on his blog when they arrive.

No idea what to expect from these JWs, as it's rather a new type of model really - high performance plank in moulded... Although I have to say I'm heartened by someone on RCG saying that you don't need to worry about how fast you land them as you'd need to plant it in a rock to break it. Have enough trouble landing regular models, so that sounds encouraging! Butdespite not being sure what to expect I'm rather looking forward to flying one - have a sample unit on order which should be coming along soon...

Cheers

Z

• 6 years later...
Marc RC pilot

Curious, why don't these flying wings have a working rudder? It seems to have the tail fin for stability in the yaw,  just wondering if having rudder control would help or hinder.

Cracking looking bird! 

29 minutes ago, Marc Sinclair said:

Curious, why don't these flying wings have a working rudder? It seems to have the tail fin for stability in the yaw,  just wondering if having rudder control would help or hinder.

Cracking looking bird! 

Generally delta wings dont have any dihedral which is required for a rudder to be effective 

Marc RC pilot
13 minutes ago, Sloper said:

Generally delta wings dont have any dihedral which is required for a rudder to be effective 

Thanks Sloper, interesting... Now I am thinking of acrobatic slope soarers with no dihedral...but I suppose the whole geometry is different with a dedicated tail (elevator/ruder) which is sat further back from wings by way of a tail boom/fuselage etc (which in turn costs more weight and drag...).

Yea a moment arm with weight at extremities relative to CG will benefit from rudder inputs. Also the fin tends to be bigger and is affected by wind cocking.

Where is a delta wing uses minimul fin to assist in directional stability only and sometimes is located on tips to reduce size if vertical surfaces and weight rather then centre of the wing.

SilentPilot

I do keep meaning to call in to T9 to see if you have spare Weasel Trek and/or Alula Trek fins. 

I do mean to try adding a rudder. Just imagine a Weasel with yaw :D

Marc RC pilot
4 hours ago, Sloper said:

Yea a moment arm with weight at extremities relative to CG will benefit from rudder inputs. Also the fin tends to be bigger and is affected by wind cocking.

Where is a delta wing uses minimul fin to assist in directional stability only and sometimes is located on tips to reduce size if vertical surfaces and weight rather then centre of the wing.

Good explanation Sloper, thx.

2 hours ago, SilentPilot said:

I do keep meaning to call in to T9 to see if you have spare Weasel Trek and/or Alula Trek fins. 

I do mean to try adding a rudder. Just imagine a Weasel with yaw :D

Yea was thinking same on my Alula Trek SP :). Be interesting to see what happens for sure :D

I think the Weasle and Alula both have an extended tail or fin so a ruder might work that much better(?)...One little micro servo perhaps on top of wing  or near ballast area inside/near cg with a small diameter nylon push/pull rod  link up to rudder etc

Would be nice to practice stall turns for a change... 

SilentPilot

I'm thinking of installing the servo in the fin just in front of the hinge. The whole thing could be swapped back to standard fixed fin just by unplugging the servo!

Now... where the route that wire... 

Marc RC pilot

Brill idea. I just checked with a spare broken micro servo and forgot how small these things are! It would fit perfectly and have a  direct short positive connection to boot. Well done.

Yea the wire...May be a housing that goes along top of wing to fin? You know like those ones you get for covering wires across a floor in offices etc (the wires just snap into a flap type grove)  just way smaller? Wire could also be removed when going fixed fin just leaving the housing. 

• Like 1