Sign in to follow this  
MikeDaBike

What ratio epoxy / microballoons for flap/aileron servos

MikeDaBike

Hi All,

What kind of ratio (epoxy to microballoons) would one use for gluing flap / aileron servos to the wing skin ?

Cheers for any suggestions, Mike

RGPuk

I've always thought it much depends on the working temperature, plus the viscosity of the brand of epoxy being used, and just added enough to prevent the mix being able to flow freely.

Nothing has dropped off - yet. ...... :rollyeyes:

Ro.

Janek

I stopped using micro balloons for the wing servos, just use a thin layer of neat Epoxy, not had one come loose, except on a crash :eek:

satinet

The good thing about micro ballons is that the servo CAN come back out again.

Hard to say really Mike. So that the glue is still a bit runny I guess.

JG

I have just fitted some plastic servo wing mounts with micro ballons and 30 minute Epoxy,i made my mix just on the runny side as it makes it easyer to spread along the mount edges and i've had no problems and no heat marks on the top of the wing section.

I would not use 5 minute Epoxy.

isoaritfirst

you worry too much.

30 minute epoxy add ballons to thicken - so it doesn't run all over the job and also to create a flat bed on a curved surface.

Once mixed - Use just enough, which is not a lot, or a quite a bit less than lots. Aim for enough to create a flat bed and a very very small bead around the edge as it squigges out.

Edit, this refers to glueing in the servo - not a mount - I rarely use mounts. When I do I make my own out of ply. For me the fancy ones are just an unnecessary added cost, as i find a correctly glued in servo is easy enough to remove/replace, and can add just the right amount of resilience.

JG

IMO - Don't put any on the inside of the mount were the servo sits as when you got to fit the sevo it will not sit flat and you will end up trying to scrap the epoxy out for the servo to sit flat .... it's a pain.

ChrisInTheVale

I've always mixed the epoxy well and then added the balloons a bit at a time until I get the "Colgate Total" look. just enough to almost hold its shape seems right to me.

MikeDaBike

I've always mixed the epoxy well and then added the balloons a bit at a time until I get the "Colgate Total" look. just enough to almost hold its shape seems right to me.

#

Thanks for all those hints. I'll have to go and buy some Colgate Total now ... :)

f3fman

#

Thanks for all those hints. I'll have to go and buy some Colgate Total now ... :)

Don't get them mixed up otherwise your gleaming servos will fall out, ... on the plus side though - your teeth never will :D

• Like 1