Sign in to follow this  
Bear

Model Flying and the National Trust

oipigface

I believe (being a veteran of the Pennine Way, and several other long distance tracks in Britain) that you may be confusing the. NT logo with the logo of the national footpaths system. The former is a branch of oak leaves with a few acorns on, the latter is a single acorn.

Bear

I phoned the BMFA yesterday asking to speak to David or Manny and have spoken to David this morning. I have tried to gain his support for the BMFA to oppose the RADMAC application to the National Trust. I found him again to be very easy to talk to and unbiased. I advised him of the views expressed on this forum. He has agreed to look into the situation more, and to view the discussion on this forum. So fingers crossed that the gliders only view gets his support.

Roger

PS A few of us a getting together to discuss forming a club, not to restrict anyone's access but just to be a point of contact.

• Like 1

Tilman Baumann

I'm surprised about the discrepancies about the concerns.

NT rules say no power, people breaking the rule hurt us all. No argument.

People/Clubs trying to get NT permission to fly powered at certain sites seems legitimate to me. Or is there such a deep divide between real soarers and powered that they can not share the same airspace. We can share the sky with paragliders and full size gliders but not with other RC planes?

What is the objection if everyone behaves civilized and no land rules or bylaws are broken?

Sorry to ask so bluntly. I'm new to this glider thing. My first lesson was be respectful of land rules and club rules and others. I thought that was enough to get along. Or does that go deeper?

Bear

I'm surprised about the discrepancies about the concerns.

NT rules say no power, people breaking the rule hurt us all. No argument.

People/Clubs trying to get NT permission to fly powered at certain sites seems legitimate to me. Or is there such a deep divide between real soarers and powered that they can not share the same airspace. We can share the sky with paragliders and full size gliders but not with other RC planes?

What is the objection if everyone behaves civilized and no land rules or bylaws are broken?

Sorry to ask so bluntly. I'm new to this glider thing. My first lesson was be respectful of land rules and club rules and others. I thought that was enough to get along. Or does that go deeper?

Hi Tilman,

There is no anti power feeling here. If you have read the thread in its entirety you will have read what the dangers are. In particular read post number 26 from isoaritfirst it really sums it all up.

Roger 

Tilman Baumann

I admit I did not read every post. Precisely because I did get the feeling that there was little or no opposition voiced to those concerns. I have no doubt that those positions are dear to many people and they are reasonable.

I personally find it a but surprising that there is little or no "let's just get along" opposition to those views.

I personally find them a bit exclusionist and in-fighting. (Spoken mostly as a outsider)

But if this is generally the view held in this community at large then I'm happy to accept them add such and even defend them.

I'm trying to wager if this is a clear cut no go issue or something where you can keep your friends if you dare to question them. :rolleyes:

Bear

Hi Tilman

How do you get over the frequency issue if you have aeroplanes flying in several areas?

Roger 

Tilman Baumann

2.4ghz chauvinism on my part I admit :o

But I guess you could ask the power guys to walk to the slope peg board.

Bear

2.4ghz chauvinism on my part I admit :o

But I guess you could ask the power guys to walk to the slope peg board.

Ok, but we are talking about a couple of square miles of land here. There is no peg board by the way, frequency control is done by word of mouth. I've got no right to tell people to use a peg board. If I make a peg board do I make it peg on or peg off? Where do we store it? If power models are allowed, how does a visitor know the peg board exists or where it is? As isoaritfirst points out power flying requires to be regimented. Electric models can make lots of noise who decides what type of electric you are allowed to fly? Should electric models like your Slipstream be allowed? Who then polices it?

Roger

Tilman Baumann

If a club would lobby the national trust to open a particular site to powered flight, they would have to solve those practical issues I guess.

The national trust would have to be convinced that the noise does not bother them. If they are happy I don't care.

I just would not downright oppose the idea but work together with them to make sure there will be no tears on both sides.

And I think reasonable guidelines could be drawn based on type of aircraft (powered gliders and electric trainers only) and type of propeller (no edf, no prop under certain pitch and size)

Bear

If a club would lobby the national trust to open a particular site to powered flight, they would have to solve those practical issues I guess.

The national trust would have to be convinced that the noise does not bother them. If they are happy I don't care.

I just would not downright oppose the idea but work together with them to make sure there will be no tears on both sides.

And I think reasonable guidelines could be drawn based on type of aircraft (powered gliders and electric trainers only) and type of propeller (no edf, no prop under certain pitch and size)

Hi Tilman,

Yes you could do all that,but I have to ask again Who's going to police it? You could just enjoy flying gliders at one of the best gliding sites in the country. And fly your electric at the club field 2 miles away, or on the beach, or one of the less sutible sites for unpowered flight just down the road. Remember this all started when people were flying power when it was not allowed and they still are, they are not waiting for permission

Roger.

Tilman Baumann

I don't for a second defend them for breaking NT rules or being d***heads.

They should be denounced and probably can't be trusted.

But that did not seem to me to be the main thrust of the argument. Maybe I misread the tone in the conversion, it's easy to get unobjective or personal when confronted with such antisocial behaviour that is so potentially dangerous to the hobby.

I wonder though if there are so many better places to fly for them, why do they bother to come? Probably not just to **** us and the NT off.

What is their damn problem?

Edited by Austin
Edited out the html, gonna try and fix that later

Tilman Baumann

PS: sorry of my formatting is not only broken in tapatalk. Looks pretty bad on my device. :(

Austin

PS: sorry of my formatting is not only broken in tapatalk. Looks pretty bad on my device. :(

Edited the html out of the posts. Tapatalks latest update broke yet again, anyhow Ill try and fix that later. Apologies.

Tilman Baumann

Roger, I'm getting the gist.

i largely agree with your earlier posts in this thread.

NT would be I'll advised to grant such request mostly based on their disregard of current rules.

And BMFA should be taking sides with the people who are in the right should protect those who have something to lose from that behaviour.

I went through the early messages again.

Every tension I felt above that was probably perception bias on my side or heated feelings.

Rob Thomson

I would think that the fear here is that if they opened up for one club, and then had problems... Then it is all to easy to just outright ban all flying, across all sites.

• Like 1

Bear

Hopefully my final update on this thread.

Cornwall(sub area)BMFA have agreed with all clubs to advise their members of no power flying at St Agnes(source Sec P Greet)They have also advised BMFA that in their opinion the rule regarding flying on NT land should be better advertised and they are suggesting a mention in BMFA news(good idea imho)

Apologies to R&DMAC it was not their members who complained/flew power(this year at least) at St Agnes but members of a new club formed by long standing members of R&DMAC who coincidentally are looking for "new" flying sites.

Manny Williamson did not contact me again (as he said he would) or the other country members who contacted him regarding this as "it had all quietened down, down there".

I've been informed that the Area meeting I tried to attend did in fact talk about the subject and indeed allegations were made against me despite my not being allowed to address the meeting. This has not been minuted nor the discussions at full council. I shall be attending the next area meeting to address these allegations , but this is now a disagreement between me and the Area(sub)and should't affect others.

Roger

Phil.Taylor

Result !

well done

Phil.

Alan Letcher

Where is common Sense? Lets not give our hobby a bad name !

Bear

Where is common Sense? Lets not give our hobby a bad name !

Sorry do not really understand your comment. I would of thought the common sense approach would be to simply abide by the only restriction that NT imposes on us, ie to not fly power.