E-flite Mystique 2.9M Electric Glider

Rooster-X

Dave Miller

I've now replaced the original wire rods with carbon fibre tube push rods, moved the battery forward 15mm and reinstalled the radio. So I must now wait for suitable weather to try it again, Tuesday is looking good.

Dave Miller

My flight was rather short as a stall from about four feet took the nose off and has made a mess of the fuselage. I’m not sure as the cause of the stall, probably finger trouble on my part however the dog is dead and likely to stay that way as I have little appetite for the work of repairing it, I would rather expend effort on something with a pedigree of known flying qualities rather than resurrecting this mongrel.

Dave Miller

Hi Greybeard

I'm really sorry to hear that this happened

I'll bet it wasn't finger trouble though....

One positive thing though - its that bl**dy fuselage that's the main problem - why not graft the wings onto a better fus?

They're two piece wings, so most of the mouldies' fuselages would do, there's always somebody with a spare one

or have you done something nasty to the wings as well?

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

You are quite right, apart from being seriously nibbled at the front the gell coating has shattered along the seams. The wings are OK and it did occur to me to use them on another fuz but having read of their weakness I shall have to think seriously about that idea. In the mean time I need to find another ARTF of a similar size so that I can make the most of the good weather whilst I get on with other building projects.

Any suggestions anyone of a proven flyer for around the £200 mark and not something by e-flight?  :D

Alan Letcher

That's a shame it's sick when you spend hours and money looking for a new glider to fly!I got my first flight underway but I did not feel that comfortable with it myself!I was flying from a new flying site just off a A30 road so that didn't help.Can only think its easy to get caught out with the C of G on this model or you had a bad launch Leave it for a while and then have a go at a repair,sometimes you need time to get over these accidents!Good luck and Best Wishes Alan

Danny Wenzel

wow you all i have not been on here for some time and am just reading all this stuff...sorry to read you nosed in the glider .....one thing you need to start with on this glider  and most planes is to be nose heavy not a lot but some and then get some one that knows how to fly to help throw the glider and give it a lot of power on take off once your up let off some but take her up ... for the c/g i moved the batt all the way forward as i could on the first few flights ...also at first i tried the flaps but do not use them landing or taking off as they need to be set up as air breaks to  be of any help and as flaps will only get you in to trouble......and as i said before yes i did not like the instruction book that i got with my plane so i went over and over and over everything and then went at it the best i could .....my glider ended up ok and looks just like the one at the start of this thread in that video....and from all that i have read hear i think i am real lucky it did ...i am very sorry for the loss of your glider and that peat had so much stuff he did not like on his ...i hope you guys have more luck next time.......

Dave Miller

Thanks Danny, I did have tha battery as far forward as it would go but could have done with much more noseweight as I'm convinced that the instability was a rearwould c of g problem. I allowed myself to be swayed by the manufacturers instruction even when my instinct told me that they could not be correct. I shall know better next time - it's all experience. :rolleyes:

Rob Thomson

Oh.. Not planning to import at this point.

Still undecided - but may be shutting slope side down.

Same old.. To little profit for too much work :rolleyes:

Danny Wenzel

yes DAVE that glider was a hand full and mine did not fly good at first  it was tail heavy so try battery all the way posable  forward  and still get the strap on it and you could add small amount of lead to boot but when you try to get her up get some other pilot to launch her for you and give her a good amount of throttle  don't  go at it easy or you my noes her in good luck i hope you get her trimed and flying nice .... :)

Thanks for your advice Danny but at the moment the remains of the dog are interred in my workshop whilst I get on with other projects. At the moment I don’t feel like spending time on attempting a repair since the quality of the fuselage is poor and it would be difficult for me to make a satisfactory job of it. May be it will get resurrected during the winter.

Hi Greybeard

If I were you I'd have a look round for a replacement fuselage or, if you can, build yourself a wooden one

The Mustique fuselage is (IMHO) good for nothing and supplies most of the unwanted weight in the model, it really isn't worth the trouble of repairing, it's weak, it's heavy and the control cables it houses are largely unsupported - all of which major faults can be solved by building, or fitting, a different fuselage - it's got to be better than the one you've broken!

Many manufacturers offer e-fuselages as options, why not have a look round and see what you can find?

Good luck

Pete

BARCS1702

Thanks for the advice Pete; it's something I plan to do and have arranged for a fuselage through this forum. The wings and tail plane are OK so I plan to reuse them.

Currently I have five models in various stages of completion one of which must be finished by the end of the month for a club slope meeting so that's taking priority at the moment.

But then again it's a nice day so the flying field is beckoning! :lol:

• 1 month later...

Well Dave I owned one and found there was a bit of a twist in the wing as it pulled to the right when the motor was running or even with it not running,I did not like the flaps fittings as they were loose and it was a very heavy model !having said that it flew very well but feel the money would have been better spent on another moulded glider! Can get one from Staufenbiel for a bit more.

I recently placed a order with them on a Monday and got it two days later? From Germany

Back to the Mystique I have sold it on to a friend who knows what I thought of it.he also saw it fly and loved the look of it.

It looks fantastic in the air and it may well suit other people but it was not for me.I would not put a anyone off buying it as it is a very nice model to fly,but I needed to put a lot of lead in the nose.I think you could overcome this buy building a built up elevator ! Sorry for being so honest Alan

Has anyone seen any reports on the new version of the Mystique. I wondering if they have remembered to build a GofG in this time. ;) The price certainly looks better.

That is a newer (additional, not a replacement) version, this time as a RES (rudder, elevator, spoiler) only model, so it has a lot more dihedral as well.  No flaps or ailerons, so it should be a bit cheaper.  There are some reports on other forums - Google is your friend!

That is a newer (additional, not a replacement) version, this time as a RES (rudder, elevator, spoiler) only model, so it has a lot more dihedral as well.  No flaps or ailerons, so it should be a bit cheaper.  There are some reports on other forums - Google is your friend!

That is interesting for I had understood that it is a replacement for the earlier dog and that the spoilers were also for directional control but looking at the pictures they do seem to be too close inboard for that.

I did do a search but couldn't find any reviews, can anyone point to them?

That is interesting for I had understood that it is a replacement for the earlier dog and that the spoilers were also for directional control but looking at the pictures they do seem to be too close inboard for that.

I did do a search but couldn't find any reviews, can anyone point to them?

Hope this is OK with Austin: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1949534

Thanks for the link. I'm wrong again.  :wacko:  The don't seem to have taken any notice of the complaints regarding the CofG but they have beefed-up the wing joiner so I suppose that's progress. But I don't think I will be parting with any money for one - once a dog always a dog.