Suitable DLG delights

severngoose

I am torn between a Topsky Kong Fu 1.5 m DLG 280 gms or the mini Topsky 1.0m. Mostly slope flying using DL in very light conditions, & on a flat field occasionally when thermal hunting .

Any advices please ?

Tim C.

I am torn between a Topsky Kong Fu 1.5 m DLG 280 gms or the mini Topsky 1.0m. Mostly slope flying using DL in very light conditions, & on a flat field occasionally when thermal hunting .

Any advices please ?

Tim C.

I'd go for the larger of the 2 Tim, I had a Topsky Viper 2 which was very nice but preferred my Blaster 2 for launching.

Adam

Hi Tim,

I have a Super Mini Topsky (1m span, aileron, rudder & ele) and it does very well on a small slope. Not as much oomf off the launch as a bigger glider but for £100 for the airframe I'd say it's very good value for money. It was my first glider (now in it;'s 2nd rebuild), I've flown it in loads of different conditions (it's good in 3mph up to about 15mph) and it's great fun. It's probably seen more air time than all of my mouldies combined.

I also have the blaster 2 which is a much livelier performer, however does cost almost 3 times as much and is a bit easier to damage, a bit fussy to set up but very good off the launch.

• 1 month later...
Richard Swindells

Point taken Adam, I am also looking at a Highlight SAL which is a possibility.

Tim C.

I'd avoid the Highlight, although a good model in its day it will not have the performance of even the most basic DLG's available at the moment. I'm not sure they are still being made, so any model that you buy might well be old stock that is several years old.

You will see a significant performance difference between a 1M DLG and a 1.5M model (usually at least a doubling of the calm air average flight time)... The only advantage of the smaller DLG's is cost and portability.

I'd agree with Adam and go for the Topsky Viper 2