Sign in to follow this  
EssexBOF

Lifetime Modelling

EssexBOF

post-1732-0-58411000-1351500863_thumb.jp

After some time, have now had my scribblings self published in book form. It is not available from book shops or Amazon only from myself if anyone is interested. Quite a bit on silent flight having been in Barcs from the mid 70's.

Price is £15 + £1.50 P&P

Woodstock

Congratulations on the book - hope it sells well!

Again my problem with forums and usernames - who would have thought (unless your'e IN THE KNOW) EssexBOF was Brian Austiin :) ?

Gromit

Yep, huge congrats on your book Brian B):thumbsup:

Stu.

Austin

Hi Brian, this would be an excellent read for anyone in our hobby especially newcomers. So much is missed by new people in the hobby as far as building and setting up models to fly correctly. Well done on taking the time to do it.

You should make that front cover your avatar! :thumbsup:

Gromit

You should make that front cover your avatar! :thumbsup:

X 2 B)

Stu

PeteMitchell

It's a real trip down memory lane for me.

Even though I lived in the same part of east London, flew at the same place, belonged to the same club and new quite a few of the characters Brian mentions in his book , I did not know him then.

He is only a year or two older than me, and in those days he was one of the 'big boys' and us younger urchins didnt get a look in :)

Happy days.

Well done Brian, your book is a great read.

Rob Thomson

Congratulations on the book - hope it sells well!

Again my problem with forums and usernames - who would have thought (unless your'e IN THE KNOW) EssexBOF was Brian Austiin :) ?

The very reason I keep my forum name... As my name :)

• Like 1

Bernie Jones

Hi Fellow BARCS members

Having read half way through the book it's great, to which end its now on my web site where you can purchase a copy, or of course direct from Brian :rolleyes:

But we are going to go one better and I am pleased to announce that Brian will be making a guest appearance on my stall (eSoaring Gadgets) at the BARCS soaring market at 11.00 am on Sunday 2nd December 2012 where you can purchase signed copies of the book direct from the man himself, (plus of course the chance to save £1.50 postage) :D

Details of the Soaring Market and address are else where on the forum and BARCS site

hopefully see you then

Bernie

EssexBOF

Peter Hindle has sent me some pictures from the 70,s of when we joined BARCS, which is a shame as they could have gone into the book. Thought that they would fit on the forum as a nostalgic look back in time.

post-1732-0-93068500-1353690242_thumb.jp

post-1732-0-91384900-1353690297_thumb.jp

post-1732-0-31444200-1353690362_thumb.jp

post-1732-0-98411700-1353690393_thumb.jp

pete beadle

Hi Brian

Yes, REAL nostalgia - I especially like the chap (whoever he is) in the first two (similar) pics being launched, probably at a comp, in a JACKET AND TIE!

Yes indeed, none of yer baseball caps and trainers back in the day........!

Pete

BARCS1702

EssexBOF

The guy in the collar & tie is Brian Bardoe, father of Paul the pylon race supremo who also does the retro kits at PB Models, on the RH side is Bill Ashdown who now lives in the USA.

Next is of yours truly holding Pete Hindles Meastro, then Pete Hindle with a Phase Lift and last but not least is a Cirrus in the ground with flared trousers in the background.

Bobbyr

I thought the picture or Brian and Bill was a spot the difference :thumbsup:

3 hrs later i realised it was the same Photo :blush:

Nice nostalgic Photos , thanks for posting them :)

Bob

EssexBOF

Some pictures fro George Read from the Seahawk Club in Florida. Could be the 70's-80's with the models on view apart from the glass one. And the winch lady in her 80's

post-1732-0-15908200-1354484644_thumb.jp

post-1732-0-64745200-1354484666_thumb.jp

post-1732-0-27774100-1354484686_thumb.jp

post-1732-0-43742700-1354484697_thumb.jp

post-1732-0-40013900-1354484712_thumb.jp

post-1732-0-23357700-1354484750_thumb.jp

post-1732-0-11300500-1354484785_thumb.jp

post-1732-0-23417900-1354484849_thumb.jp

EssexBOF

Had the following from Tony Beckett :-

Brian

Thanks for the speedy delivery of your book (and the
signature!) Extremely enjoyable, a wealth of information.

Turns out our paths may well have crossed earlier than with
r/c soaring. My d.o.b is 2/7/1939.

I built a Debutante from the free Aeromodeller plan in
December 1952 and flew it that Spring at Wanstead Flats. I
could cycle there from where I lived. From the Flats I also
had a Gnome glider fly away into the City of London
cemetery, where my Mums ashes are now interred.

Regular Saturday visits to my Grandmothers in Walthamstow
introduced me to the model shop in Walthamstow High street
and also Russells at the Bell, Walthamstow. I was a member
of the Chingford Club for a time and they would
occasionally give me a lift to the team race meetings which
they attended.

Hydroplanes, also with an ED Bee, at the Hollow Ponds rang
a bell, then c/l flying near the entrance to Whips Cross
outdoor swimming pool. Flying on the Walthamstow Marshes, a
Vultan and a Stomper, both underpowered with a Mills 1.3

So, the first few chapters were a real blast from the past,
thanks for that.

I stopped flying in about 1956 and didn't come back again
until the early 1970's just in time for a "galloping ghost"
powered glider, no more motors after than though.

Regards

Tony

BTW anybody waiting for this to appear on Kindle, will have a long wait due to publishers not allowing electronic copies.

EssexBOF

Copy of E mail sent to me:-

Hi Brian

My wife Pauline (on behalf of my son Simon) got me a copy of your book for my birthday.

I have to say it's been a long while since I enjoyed a book so much.

The memories it rekindled were rather special & to hear names mentioned of so many people I remember from years ago just made me think how quickly time passes.

I joined the Anglia MFC when I was about 12 or 13 (some 44 years ago!) and I remember how impressed I was by both you & Dave Mason with your very aerobatic single channel models etc.

My aeromodelling pursuits were to take another direction - competition free flight (A2 gliders mainly) & control line (various team race exploits).

I still remember one of my first visits to Flambirds, when Dave Mason very patiently assisted me in trimming my KeilKraft Dolphin glider, until it performed beautifully.

I have always been in love with gliders and over the years have competitively flown free flight F1A (A2) & open class gliders, hand launched gliders (both indoors & outdoor) & even dabbled with radio control gliders.

I was fascinated to read of the development of your radio controlled gliders, I distinctly remember your Summer Wind model with it's distinctive swept forward wings, but one of my favourites was your Trilogy 6. I remember feeling very privileged (& not a little daunted) when you handed me your transmitter & let my fly it (somewhat nervously) for a while - great memories.

I have a degenerative spinal condition which causes severe pain in my neck & mid back. as with all things I can have periods of good days and not so good days. The medication I take helps, but as I still have to work it's a balance of getting enough pain relief without impairing mental acuity.

This has meant that my aeromodelling activities have shifted towards the more sedate (no more pitting control line team racers etc.). Building models has become more of a challenge as I can only spend a short time at the building board to avoid too much pain.

Last year I did something previously unthinkable & bought a ready to fly Multiplex "Easy Star" electric glider & had another go at R/C flying. After the initial nervousness/trepidation (my depth perception and sense of orientation is not great) I ended up really enjoying myself.

I am now looking for a model to build myself, as good as the ready to fly models are you do not get the satisfaction of having created it yourself.

I was therefore interested to see that you can provide pdf plans for your "Trilogy 6E" & "Watts Up" electric gliders and I have also discovered that Traplet do a wood pack for the "Watts Up" so I guess your book has given me some much needed inspiration.

I would be very grateful if you could let me know how much the plans are & if there are any articles covering the construction process available.

Just to bring my ramblings to a close I must thank you again for producing such a great book and wish you a healthy New Year with lots of good flying weather.

Very best wishes

Mark Harper.

EssexBOF
Feedback from Chris Denham

Hi Brian.

Just finished your book, once I got into it, I could not put it down.

How I wish my memory was as good as yours seems to be.

I remember those early days in the late mid/late 50’s over Wanstead flats, used to live there during the school holidays. I was probably one of those annoying kids with a bike that watched from the side lines. I can remember being in awe of the combat flyers (I could hear them from my house and would head off at the first sound of a motor.)

I remember trying to fly control line with a KK Champ under powered by a Mills .75 (which I still have), this is a discipline I have tried a few times since and failed miserably (with the emphasis on miserable (puking)

One memory that has stayed with me was the geodetic Wakefield rubber models, how did they pack so much rubber into them? I finally got this bug out of my system when I joined AMFC and met Bob Wells, models are still in the loft waiting their turn.

I can also remember being amazed at the size of a KK chief, 60” if I recall correctly, which compared to the Dolphin, I was flying, seemed immense. Another model I recall fondly, and have yet to build, was the Madcap, sure it will happen some day with radio assist.

I remember those early days of bang bang radio and the inevitable flyaways that occurred.

Such a coincidence that I lived so close to your school and that café on the corner of Harrow Road, My Dad was the transport manager at Nevills Bakery and we lived in a company house in Cobbold Road.

We moved to Enfield in 1959, along with finding girls, this ended my aero modelling until my son, on a journey around the M25 in 1983ish, asked -- “ Dad, could you build me a model aeroplane ” – A KK Competitor kit was purchased and built, much better than I would have built in the 50’s, but still pretty poor by my standards now. Son lost interest !! – I didn’t.

I got re-acquainted with Derek Weeks whom I had worked with as a production engineer at Crompton. He introduced me to AMFC and gliders, persuading my to build a Fantasia, so started my rebirth into aero modelling, despite someone testing the fantasia’s free flight capabilities on its first flight. This was soon to be replaced with a Trilogy 100”, not sure which mark this was, but like all Trilogy’s it flew well, unfortunately it did not have the free flight capabilities of the Fantasia and crashed into the top of the tallest pine tree on the Leicester club field, something to do with me switching the TX off – oops. I seem to remember you took pity on me and gave me a copy of the then prototype Trilogy 6 which was built in double quick time, and is still with me today and, to date, my favorite model.
I was so pleased to be reminded of the characters that flew at Flambirds and I have now lost touch with, Vic Sinclair, Rodger Knights, Rob Pinder (I seem to remember that Rob smiled whatever the occasion, however Jenny was not to be crossed), Dennis Emmett, Bob Ward, Phil James etc. Others that come to mind are Ron Coombes, Eric Bigg, and many faces that I cannot recall the names of.

I was saddened to read of the death of Dave Mason, a thoroughly nice guy.

Most of the other I have stayed in touch with during my recent break from the sport, I continued as a member of EFG and flew indoor models (built ones, not the purchased lawn mowers that have ruined small indoor meets) . Mark Harper is still very involved, but due to his spinal problems, finds it difficult to fly anymore.
It was interesting (although sad) to read about the background to the breakup of AMFC, much of which started before I joined. Unfortunately so many clubs seem to suffer from these factions once the membership grows. I have belonged to a couple of Fly fishing clubs with memberships over 100, similar problem occurred. My current club, like EQFA is limited to around 20 members, no committee, and it runs like a dream.

I see Bill Morley most months at EFG, I knew about his connection with HJN, but was unaware of his involvement with the MERCO.

Having re-joined EQFA, it was interesting to read about the background of some of our members. I really enjoyed my day over Bartletts last week, like I had never been away.

Thanks for writing your story, I enjoyed it enormously.

I now have to decide what to build next, currently update my existing models to Lipos etc. Giving the beloved Trilogy 6 a new life with electric power (making that fuz as narrow as possible is coming home to roost, but a motor WILL BE shoe horned in).

Already got a Frog 45 on the board, but that will take second place to the Trilogy.

I was very interested in what you were saying about the fast wing 2m Watts Up, reading about it on the forums. Sounds as though it would be an ideal model to partner the Trilogy when the wind gets up, I also fancy a full house model. Am I right in my conclusion that the 2m Watts up and the Fast wing version are different models? Is there a PDF file available of the fast wing version that I can peruse?. PleaseJ.

Regards Chris
  • Like 1

Jef Ott

Chris Denham! So pleased he is now an EQFA Member - we have not seen for AGES!!! 

Still using the epoxy glass board he got us in the nineties. A true gent.

Dad will be pleased too.

Jef

EssexBOF

From Peter Jones in France:-

Have just finished the book and what a brilliant read that was, so many memories re-ignited from the past 50 or so years. I think we must of had a parallel modelling existence.
I flew C/L living near to Heathrow and discovered the Feltham/Hayes club probably early 60's, became involved with team racing and in my spare time single channel radio, as a hobby, of course, education and a job got in the way.
Thank you for your efforts in producing a memorable read, thoroughly took me on a time trip, wonderful experience and many thanks!!!

Peter Jones

EssexBOF

Good morning Brian,

I am sat in the sun in Mexico on me hollies, it took 10 hours from Manchester to get here yesterday.

I had to bring your book with me as up until we left I had only managed to read 20 pages of the saga. I actually managed to finish it on the flight over, a thoroughly good read, I have to say that I was surprised at how many of the names I recognised and have flown with over the years. I am off to Slovakia with Pete Mitchell in August and off to France with Mike Proctor in July.

It is a saga that has many true reflections on the way clubs are run and evolve from a a genuine desire to enjoy a shared hobby to a vehicle that is manipulated by the unscrupulous few to the detriment of all.

It is also a reflection on human nature, and not always that good.

Thoroughly enjoyed the read and identify with much of your comments.

Very best wishes for the new season, always enjoy your company till we meet again may everything keep going up!!!!

Phil Brandreth

EssexBOF

Please note that the book has sold out and at the present time, have no plans to reprint it. So if you have a copy it might be worth money in years to come

;)