North/South Down Slopers

Rob Thomson

Right.... so where are all the North & South downs slopers hanging out on this forum?

Me.. I personally fly a range of sites. Mostly Butser Hill in Hampshire, and Colley Hill in Surrey.

I then top it off with trips to the magnificent south downs sites as often as I can.

Any other slope fans around?

Gonesoaring2003

Hi Rob

I'm at Basingstoke just up the road from Gromit. Watership Down is my local slope, but also fly Butser ,Harting Down, Whitesheet, Pewsey and Westbury white horse.

Alex

Hi Rob.

Yep, as Alex has posted. Watership, Butser, Harting, Pewsey, but for me, its mostly a 145 mile round trip to Whitesheet.

Never been to or seen Colley Hill & i'm sure there's many other South down site's i'm missing out on :unsure:

Be interested to hear more of your "Magnificent South Down Sites' B)

Stu.

I view the BARCS site every day Rob and post occasionally - I even set up another South East flyers thread to try and encourage the others to move over from the "other" site after the various nastinesses but it didn't catch on for some reason.

Simon

Never been to or seen Colley Hill & i'm sure there's many other South down site's i'm missing out on :unsure:

Be interested to hear more of your "Magnificent South Down Sites' B)

Well.... where to start!

Colley is actually a North Downs site - pretty much 5 minutes from Reigate town centre! Certainly reasonably close for you.

It is a superb 'big lift' site in a southerly wind. Biggest issue is probably the landing zone. It can be bumpy, and space is limited due to trees at the back. But once you are used to it.. it is a great site!

As for the South Downs sites...

Well.. you have to just take a trip down and see! In the Eastbourne area; there are so many good sites in pretty much a 10 mile radius; you cant go wrong! By good.. I mean the best!

I view the BARCS site every day Rob and post occasionally - I even set up another South East flyers thread to try and encourage the others to move over from the "other" site after the various nastinesses but it didn't catch on for some reason.

Yes.. I know what you mean! Pity as it does seem a bit friendlier this end of the net!

Strange thing is.. it is not the South East fliers thread that is unfriendly! Just the surrounding threads where there seems to be some people who are a bit narky! But I do think they are stamping down on it! :)

Rob

Hi Rob, Simon, Stu, Alex,

In the last year I have flown Thurnham, Firle and Devil's Dyke, so I guess I am a North / South Downs sloper, although I live in Essex.

I enjoy all forms of rc soaring, although I have not done very much in the slope soaring side of the sport. Quite keen to participate in gatherings for fun events, cross-country etc., although I do compete in flat field comps through the summer months, which strains my time bank, but I should get more time to enjoy sloping through the winter months.

Jef

My favourite event is Allens South Downs BBQ.

The past two years this has happened at Long Man hill. Generally just a great day :)

Not sure if Allen has an account on this forum yet?

Rob

I've flown at Thurnham, nice site as long as the wind is strong enought to get rid of the £%&$ing Paragluiders. And the guys that frequent it are some of the nicest you'll ever meet. Must go back soon.

Also flown at Colleys a few times, again a nice site, but landing a crunchie can be difficult, especially when there are lots of walkers about............. unfortunately wrote off my Mach II there, but that was the stupidity of the pilot, rather than the site, or the walkers :rolleyes: ;)

Like Jef I live in essex which is renown for sea cliffs and big lift hills :) so therefore spend time at Thurnham and the downs, Bo Peep, Firle, Mill Hill etc

Keith

• Like 1

Has a superb afternoon at Colley today.

2 hours of great lift... Took the time to get some of my gliders well dialled in.

Happy days :)

Hi Rob - not said hello before. I live in Lightwater so not that far from you. I took the dog for a walk to Colley Hill this afternoon after dropping my lad off at a birthday party in Ashtead. It does look like it has a good vertical lift component. Landing area doesn't look too bad but I can understand the comments some have said - I can imagine it's a bit of a nightmare with people walking about as it looks a popular spot for walkers with kids / dogs.

Nice short walk from the car park when compared to Beacon Hill for a S or SW wind.

Hi Jon,

Yes.. You are just round the corner!

You should try Colley out. Superb when the wind is due south.

Landing is not terrible... Only am issue because you are landing in the lift. Just makes actually putting the model back on the ground rather hard. I find that even with my Aldij I will end up overshooting - with full Crow deployed.! So really a case of making sure you can slow down enough on the cross wind leg, then turn into the wind and touch down.

In practise... That takes 4 to 5 attempts!

But it is a good laugh :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Jon, just one note of caution when flying at Colley, make sure that you NEVER go back beyond the front edge of the tree line!

That would be the M25 then ....that would make a challenging re-build.

I am contemplating a little trip down to Butser hill on Wednesday. Northerly winds and sun predicted!

Anyone else potentially around?

Gonesoaring2003

Yep but probably Harting Down as its northerly, and if the weathers ok.

Will be there early as I have to work in the PM.

Alex